Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an irrational and untenable hatred of trail bells. Here's my case:

A bell ringing on the trail sounds, to me, like a command. Hey! Ding ding! Get out of my way! I don't hear a bell and think "Oh! Goodness, a bell. Where could that be coming from?"

I associate bell-ringing with summoning servants, alerting front-desk staff at hotels, and making dogs drool -- hence my feeling that bells are for commanding, not for alerting.

Ringing a bell makes direct human-to-human communication your second choice. If you have a bell, you use your bell. You don't ring a bell after you've made contact. You ring it first. That sucks.

So, for all the positive cases to be made for using a bell, in every case I'd rather just engage other trail users directly, with my voice. And I'm also speaking from experience: Whenever I've been on rides with folks who have bells (I'm looking at you, JB!), that bell goes off regularly but I rarely hear them actually talking to the other trail users. Of course, that could be because I'm like a quarter-mile behind them, but whateva.

(Rationally speaking, I get that a bell is easier to hear over greater distances. I get it, I do. My rant has very little to do with reason.)

Down with annoying little dings! Up with engaging with other trail users like human beings!

p.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Temple of Tone

I use my bell for 2 uses. 1: alert hikers I'm riding up behind them, most appreciate this.
If you then offer water they'll often be stunned you care.
2: to call Shelby, my pointer. Great trail dog, she always responds.
Guess the next time I see you I shouldn't give you a ring. :D

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sikwood is right, you just did cut off two other people albeit they probably deserved it.

Buuuut, I dont bell and I hate it when someone is approaching you from the opposite direction and its clear you see them and they see you and then they ring their bell! Whats up with that. That definetly deserves some good trail convo with mucho sarcasm!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
abegold said:
I use my bell for 2 uses. 1: alert hikers I'm riding up behind them, most appreciate this.
If you then offer water they'll often be stunned you care.
2: to call Shelby, my pointer. Great trail dog, she always responds.
Guess the next time I see you I shouldn't give you a ring. :D
You have a Pointer? Pic please.

Here is ours. She's been keeping me entertainined lately (on the mend, and have been working on the living room couch). Every morning, she get's her ball that we fill with treats. She will kick it and throw it (grab it with her mouth and then toss in the air) until every single treat is gone. But she does it right in front of me (in fact, if she accidently kicks it into the kitchen, she'll go grab is and bring it back). Definitely get's the day started right.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
sikwoodbiker said:
"If everyone's so bored with the content of this forum, howzabout people start posting about MOUNTAIN BIKING. Where have you ridden lately? Do you have a new bike? What's the best bottle cage for your 29er?" Paul B.
My thoughts exactly. Oh, the ironing.

Moderators, please lock this thread and censor Paul's post.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sikwoodbiker said:
"If everyone's so bored with the content of this forum, howzabout people start posting about MOUNTAIN BIKING. Where have you ridden lately? Do you have a new bike? What's the best bottle cage for your 29er?" Paul B.
So trail bells aren't a mountain biking topic? That's odd.

EDIT: A clarification is in order. Talking about who is or is not a douchebag is not a mountain biking topic. It's *****ing and name-calling and in direct violation of the posting guidelines.

p.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
BritMtnBiker said:
Sikwood is right, you just did cut off two other people albeit they probably deserved it.

Buuuut, I dont bell and I hate it when someone is approaching you from the opposite direction and its clear you see them and they see you and then they ring their bell! Whats up with that. That definetly deserves some good trail convo with mucho sarcasm!
LOL, I ride with two guys (names withheld to protect the innocent) who do that. They ring their bell, either if coming from behind or approaching. Ringing it when approaching, I never quite understood, almost like a ringing the bell is a way of saying "hello." I'm have embarassed when they do it, and half laughing to myself because I find it so funny.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
skinny-tire said:
LOL, I ride with two guys (names withheld to protect the innocent) who do that. They ring their bell, either if coming from behind or approaching. Ringing it when approaching, I never quite understood, almost like a ringing the bell is a way of saying "hello." I'm have embarassed when they do it, and half laughing to myself because I find it so funny.
Oh, that IS funny. Maybe they think the other riders aren't paying attention? Not looking ahead? Or is it just a weird reflex.

p.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Paul B said:
Oh, that IS funny. Maybe they think the other riders aren't paying attention? Not looking ahead? Or is it just a weird reflex.

p.
Actually, I think they like the attention (and you know who I am talking about, so probably no surprise...and my assumption is probably spot on). They actually do it to hikers too.

I seriously considered getting a bell...and then thought "what the hell, I'm never going to use it." I am going to get one for my fixie....just because I want the bling.

·
Plus size jersey model
1,250 Posts
There is way to much pent up anger down there in Phoenix. What is all the heat frying the part of your brains that tell you to be nice or is it that there are like 10 million people living there. I have never had a single person ring a bell at me on any trail in Tucson so it is hard really hard for me to feel your pain.

·
Nothing can stop me now
1,045 Posts
Paul B said:
I have an irrational and untenable hatred of trail bells. Here's my case:

A bell ringing on the trail sounds, to me, like a command. Hey! Ding ding! Get out of my way! I don't hear a bell and think "Oh! Goodness, a bell. Where could that be coming from?"

I associate bell-ringing with summoning servants, alerting front-desk staff at hotels, and making dogs drool -- hence my feeling that bells are for commanding, not for alerting.

Ringing a bell makes direct human-to-human communication your second choice. If you have a bell, you use your bell. You don't ring a bell after you've made contact. You ring it first. That sucks.

So, for all the positive cases to be made for using a bell, in every case I'd rather just engage other trail users directly, with my voice. And I'm also speaking from experience: Whenever I've been on rides with folks who have bells (I'm looking at you, JB!), that bell goes off regularly but I rarely hear them actually talking to the other trail users. Of course, that could be because I'm like a quarter-mile behind them, but whateva.

(Rationally speaking, I get that a bell is easier to hear over greater distances. I get it, I do. My rant has very little to do with reason.)

Down with annoying little dings! Up with engaging with other trail users like human beings!

p.
I think that using the bell is the courtesy to warn the other users that you are coming. The panic that some hikers have when I say "good morning" as I am going to overtake them is what I would use the bell to eliminate. Does anyone ever notice that hikers always scatter when you are approaching them? They always go to opposite sides of the trail, never the same side.

Most of my encounters with bell ringers are just as you describe. "ding-ding" with no verbal or non verbal communication. This always prevents me from mounting a bell on my bike. I don't wanna be "that" rider.

bobo

·
Hawes Junkie
141 Posts
I ride SS exclusively and by the time people hear me it's usually because I'm right behind them waiting for a good time to pass. Also, I frequently ride at night with no lights and ringing the bells, or so I've been told, helps to tell the critters that your coming--I'm talking coyotes, javalina, cougars etc not the hobo type or other night time trail 'visitors'.

Although I'm not against talking to people most of time being yelled at to move to your left is less polite then ringing a bell.

--now back to your normal MTBR viewing

AZ XC

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
I like the bell-ringers! Especially when they are approaching me!

It says "Hello! I love riding my bike! Do you love riding too?" :thumbsup:

I've never had an iPod-wearing hammerhead racer-boy ever ring a bell at me - have you? Heck, they don't even break their blank stare to even make eye contact with you.

It's always the beer-swilling, donut eating, jolly-old fellas...The Santa-on-a-bikers!

Here's to you Mr. Handlebar Bell Inventor!! You ARE a real man of genius!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.