Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting to finish the build that is. This sucks, I keep going over to the bike, playing with the brakes and throwing a leg over it. Even sat on the saddle (only to crush the fork box the it's sitting on, LOL). I've got everything to build this beast except the tires and the new wheels. Unfortunately, both the wheels and the tires will be here the week of Thanksgiving and I'll be out of town......figures.

Oh well, hopefully the Nor Cal weather will hold out until then, so I can get some decent rides in.

Build Specs:
-Banshee Paradox (L)
-Reba Team 29er Fork
-XT Components (Drivetrain and XT Ti brakes- pull offs from Trek 26er)
-Sunline All Mtn stem (65mm)
-Sunline OS1 handlebar
-36H Flows/Hadley Hubs (SS Rear hub to build dishless, but will run geared, 2x6)
-Pedals (probably gonna be Canfield Bros Crampons)

Lot's o' firsts for me with this bike as I too and just getting back into riding after a long hiatus:
-First 29er
-First air sprung fork
-First set of custom wheels
-First set of hydro disk brakes
-First set of wide handlebars (711mm)

That's about it for now. Can't wait to post the "finished" pix.

Anyone else out there with a build in "No Man's Land". Share your pain and "in-progress pix"......

Oh yeah, and if anyone's got an inexpensive Repair stand they want to sell in Norcal PM me.

Attachments

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I've been there. Feeling your pain. Hang in there.

Looks pretty sweet!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd post a pic but it would just be parts in a box. FedEx seems to have lost my frame, fork, and headset. Waiting to hear from them now.

That Banshee looks sweet, btw.

·
uh, or something!
479 Posts
nice ride...good looking build

i hear ya on the waiting game.... i am just at the tail end of a custom build. everything should be done tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I went from this:

to this:

And it only took a month!

I am waiting on some parts still. Like the brakes, different crank, new BB, and like you the custom wheels are "in process."

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Calhoun said:
I went from this:

to this:

And it only took a month!

I am waiting on some parts still. Like the brakes, different crank, new BB, and like you the custom wheels are "in process."

Niner people should be accustomed to waiting.

·
ADIDAB
578 Posts
I feel your pain too. I've just started the process and already I'm chomping at the bit and nothing has arrived yet! So you're ahead of me!

Ordered so far include:

Lenz Leviathan 4.0 frame size large
Cannondale Lefty Max PBR130 + spacer kit
SRAM XO shifters and derailleur
SRAM PG980 cassette
Syntace Duraflite Carbon 31.8 bar
Thomson X4 stem (110mm x 0d)
Thomson Elite seatpost (27.2 x 410mm)
Ergon GC2 grips

To be ordered:

Cranks (either XT or RF Deus XC)
Front Derailleur (XT)
Lefty hub
Project 321 steerer
6 bolt disc rotor

Already have:

XT hydraulics that I plan to take off the current steed (which will become my commuter) and use (I'll replace them with cheapy hydraulics like Deore or similar)
Chain
Wheels (with the front wheel to be relaced with a Lefty hub)
Tyres...

The whole build is pretty much together in my head and is now coming together (although slowly and it's killing me!).

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I am in the process of a Superfly build. It's going to be no-compromize, Cloxxki style. So, light but not expensive. Light, but not for the weight. Stiff where it needs to be. Enough gears to get by, but not one I don't need. Speed, speed, speed.

The good news is that the rims I "need" exist. Bad news is, they are too expensive.

The good news is that the cranks I need, have been invented. Bad news, they don't exist yet.

Idem for the pedals (co-patent holder). And yes, a proto would be expensive. Like a bike.

Good news : Bontrager G2 carbon fork is announced. Bad news : it's not a Niner, and Niner doesn't make a G2 fork (they could have sold many hundreds already, all in one color). Good news : I do have a light steel 55mm offset custom ready.

The wait will be worth it. I just hope I can still ride bikes when the waiting is over. Or, I get dirty rich to overcome some of the bad news.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
JohnGray, that looks awesome.

I've got a couple of projects going at the moment...

I should have my custom city/29er/monstercross/hybrid done by the end of this coming week, start to finish from initial concept will be 9 months. Time to finish since I received the frame is 4 months...

and I got this in last week to convert my Reba Team 100mm QR to Maxle...

I might as well convert it down to 80mm as well to be better suited to my Blackbuck's geometry. I forgot when I ordered the lowers that I would have to buy a new front hub because the standard 240s won't do 20mm. I'm going to have to buy a oversize 240s and rebuild the front wheel. Projects just become longer and longer.

·
Spear & Magic Helmet
304 Posts
madcap - thanks. I've seen picture of your frame on other threads. Good looking build.
Those rims look like they a nit taller than the average. Should build up nice and stiff. Whatcha usin'?

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
JohnGray said:
madcap - thanks. I've seen picture of your frame on other threads. Good looking build.
Those rims look like they a nit taller than the average. Should build up nice and stiff. Whatcha usin'?

Velocity Chukkers, they are almost as tall (32mm) as the Gordo is wide (35mm) in the other picture :D

·
Registered
978 Posts
Cloxxki said:
I am in the process of a Superfly build. It's going to be no-compromize, Cloxxki style. So, light but not expensive. Light, but not for the weight. Stiff where it needs to be. Enough gears to get by, but not one I don't need. Speed, speed, speed.

The good news is that the rims I "need" exist. Bad news is, they are too expensive.

The good news is that the cranks I need, have been invented. Bad news, they don't exist yet.

Idem for the pedals (co-patent holder). And yes, a proto would be expensive. Like a bike.

Good news : Bontrager G2 carbon fork is announced. Bad news : it's not a Niner, and Niner doesn't make a G2 fork (they could have sold many hundreds already, all in one color). Good news : I do have a light steel 55mm offset custom ready.

The wait will be worth it. I just hope I can still ride bikes when the waiting is over. Or, I get dirty rich to overcome some of the bad news.
Do you have a way to prove that you are not related to David Copperfield ;)

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
I have a handful of parts, some order confirmations from Chain Reaction and a drawing.

Weld faster damn it!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have been sitting on a new frame and fork since Wednesday and just need the time . . . . It will be worth the wait and besides, our trails are sooo wet that I could not ride it anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, I knew there had to be a lot of people out feeling the pain.

I actually got a set of grips and one of the "donor" cassettes to build my 6 speed....which is really the last of the parts I needed before the tires and wheels.

Anyway, as for you guys.....

-Vegen, did you find out about your frame and fork?
-Calhoun, at the rate your going looks like about another month and she'll be finished
-JohnGray, you can sit on yours and roll around on it. That's gotta be REAL tough.
-Madcap, 4 months is a long time. I'm at about 2 and half or so now, so should be about 3 by the time I'm all done.

And Zillon, I really don't appreciate you posting on this thread at all. The last thing I need to look at are you guys that are finishing your builds and actually riding them. You guys really p*ss me off........J/K she looks sweet. Enjoy the new ride!

For anybody I missed, hang in there guys. Know you've got a brother out there that knows your pain LOL.

By the way, Everybody keep your pix coming and update the thread as your builds progress.

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Steve_N said:
I feel your pain too. I've just started the process and already I'm chomping at the bit and nothing has arrived yet! So you're ahead of me!

Ordered so far include:

Lenz Leviathan 4.0 frame size large
Cannondale Lefty Max PBR130 + spacer kit
SRAM XO shifters and derailleur
SRAM PG980 cassette
Syntace Duraflite Carbon 31.8 bar
Thomson X4 stem (110mm x 0d)
Thomson Elite seatpost (27.2 x 410mm)
Ergon GC2 grips

To be ordered:

Cranks (either XT or RF Deus XC)
Front Derailleur (XT)
Lefty hub
Project 321 steerer
6 bolt disc rotor

Already have:

XT hydraulics that I plan to take off the current steed (which will become my commuter) and use (I'll replace them with cheapy hydraulics like Deore or similar)
Chain
Wheels (with the front wheel to be relaced with a Lefty hub)
Tyres...

The whole build is pretty much together in my head and is now coming together (although slowly and it's killing me!).

Hi Steve. Be sure to post this in the Aus. forum when it is finished!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am also waiting, So I will keep this Thread going.

Parts I have for the El Mariachi.

Frame- El Mariachi
Fork- Salsa Cromoto Grande
Headset- Cane Creek S-3
Bottom bracket- White Industries ti
Handle bar- Origin 8 Gary drop
Brake levers- Cane Creek SCR-5
Brakes- Avid BB7 disc
Brake cables- XTR
Seatpost- Easton EC70
Wheels- Botrager race 29er
Tires- WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55
Pedals- Forte Carve
Saddle- Selle Italia Trans Am

Parts that I need.
Bar tape and or grips- Any recommendations on this?
Crankset- I am thinking about a Middleburn RS-7
Tubes-
Front skewer-
Chain- Any recommendations on this?
Cog- probably something cheap to go on a geared hub.
I think that is about it? Let me know if you see something i missed.

Parts that I have for the One9

Frame- Niner One9
Headset- Chris King
Bottom bracket- White Industries ti
Seat post- Thomson Masterpiece
Seat post clamp- Hope
Crankset- White Industries ENO
Brake levers- XTR
Brake cables- XTR

Parts that I need.

Wheelset- Single speed of some sort. Tubeless. Suggestions?
Fork- Niner carbon.
Brakes- Avid bb7
Saddle- I don't know yet
Tires- Kenda Smallblock 8
Pedals- Forte carve
Handle bar- Easton EC 70
Stem- Ritchey wcs 4 axis 44 (ordered)
Grips- Serfas
Bar Ends- Cane Creek Ergo Control 2.
Chain- ? Recommendation?

I think that is all.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts