Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate all you guys... Lmao. Been on here for a while now trying to educate myself a bit on what bike would be worth getting... If it wasn't for you guys I would of just got some thing at Walmart, Target, Sports Authority or some other store...

But after being on here I realized I wanted better... But the problem is that with trying to set a budget all bikes in that range have similar components... So I think I decided to go with the Airborne Seeker... I really wanted a sick looking bike with good components and this, I think is as close as I'm going get after upping my price range... .

Unless... Unless... Someone has something else that is around the same price range with similar components that they can suggest... I need to know asap!!!!

·
Unpredictable
2,208 Posts
One of our riding buddies suggested today that gravity enduro and 27.5 bikes are the new axis of evil because they force you into a downward spiral of commitment and cost. Best advice for a new bike is to buy what suits where you ride. It does not have to be expensive and I am far from convinced that expensive parts offer longevity.

One of the good things about MTB is that you can hate for no good reason at all. You should feel lucky you are enjoying that experience. I am also getting my share, trying to accumulate parts for a new frame. Man there are so many and they cost soooo much........ IF you can't control yourself (and I find that a major challenge).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just started and this is what I did: Went to my local bike shop with a 5-600 $ budget and walked out with a Raleigh Talus 29er ($600). Decided that I wanted more suspension and upgraded my front suss to a Suntour Raidon ($200). I've wanted a full suspension ever since trying my friend's lol. The constant desire to upgrade is brutal, just gotta pick a reasonable budget for your first bike and be happy with it until you know what you want out of a next bike and have the funds. The Airborne Seeker looks like a good first bike!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... I was also looking for a bike for my son. I want to get into riding and was able to get him the Trek Wahoo for $499 plus tax... Now just need something for myself... Was thinking with something in the price range you said so was going to go with the guardian but then decided to go up a bit and go with the Seeker... But was looking to see what other bikes are good within that price range...

And love this forum...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I always recommend a cheap bike if someone isn't certain yet that they really are into this hobby/addiction.

If you get to the 'second' bike phase, feel free to then spend fool-heartedly...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you do the additional $250-300, you'd probably be happy with the Airborne Goblin. The upgrades alone will make up for the price difference, especially in the fork. You'll be getting a Reba RL instead of a Recon Gold. Sram X7 instead of X5 drivetrain. Elixir 1 brakes to Elixir 7. And just to compare, a Trek Superfly 5 comes with a Recon Silver fork and a Shimano Deore drivetrain would cost $1500.00. The comparable model would be the Superfly 6 which comes in at $1800.00.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I suspect a lot of us shot from the hip. A lot of people find that the first bikes they buy aren't a great match for where their riding goes in the first year. So in a sense, I think you shouldn't worry about it too much - I don't think it makes you less likely to get something that doesn't match where your riding is next April, but you do worry more today.

FWIW, I think second hand is the best way to stretch a buck.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I always recommend a cheap bike if someone isn't certain yet that they really are into this hobby/addiction.

If you get to the 'second' bike phase, feel free to then spend fool-heartedly...
+1
I always give this same advice to my fellow beginners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts