Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trek 6000 w/RockShox Dart1

It's fine when its warm but as soon as its outside for 10 minutes, my travel goes from 3.5" to the point where I can only get about .5" of travel. I took it to the LBS a couple of days ago and they rebuilt it. After it happening again they told me that they would need to call RockShox on Monday and ask them what needs to happen. This is extremely aggervating, as cold as it is outside (~20-35F.) I still enjoy riding. Is there anything that can be changed to make it consistant under different temperatures?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Here's what's going on. When its cold out, the oil in your fork gets more viscous. It dosn't flow through the damper as well, and this gives the fork lots of compression damping. Are you storing the fork in a heated area? Do you put it in your car on the way to the trailhead? Doing both of these help a bit, since the fork stays warm until the last possible second, and then when you ride it the fork warms itself (a little, not much) from friction in all the moving bits. If you want to make your fork work better in the cold, put some ligher weight oil in it. The ligher oil in a thick, viscous, cold state will be closer to the stock oil under more normal riding conditions. You'll want to switch back once temps warm up again though, since the ligher oil will give the fork less compression and faster rebound. Probably won't feel so great.

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
yeah.. lighter oil. That'd prolly do a good amount to help.

I'm doing an oil change on my fork this spring... getting a little heavier weight oil instead:) That'll be nice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.