Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate it when you dismount a tire, clean out the stanimals, get it all mounted up, inject sealant, inflate it, put it back on the bike....and then look over a few minutes later and realize you mounted the tire backwards.

I hate it when your bike suddenly won't shift onto the 50t cog and you pull over trailside for a little real-time RD repair. You mess with everything and can't figure out why it won't shift onto the 50t. After 15 minutes of hopelessly messing with it you notice that the cable end has wrapped around and wedged itself into the derailleur, creating interference that prevented the shift.

Don't act like you haven't done stupid stuff. Come clean.

· Rippin da fAt
12,494 Posts
Badger, the curb feeler of a cable extending away from the RD is bound to do it eventually! I did it on a test ride as I built my bike. I never trim the cable until the tweak in is done and deserved it!

Tires and directional tread... Easily preventable by handling the wheel with the rotor on the left at all times. Then all you have to do is observe the tread as you mate the tire to the rim. Prevention at its finest!

Anticipation of the ride can get in the way and does in my case! Cannot wait to pedal and do sompin silly as a result.

· Registered
19,742 Posts
I hate it when you dismount a tire, clean out the stanimals, get it all mounted up, inject sealant, inflate it, put it back on the bike....and then look over a few minutes later and realize you mounted the tire backwards.

I've worked in shops forever and have installed thousands of tires and I still do that occasionally. Doh!!

· Registered
14,715 Posts
Put my shoes on backwards once. Wasn't until I went to pedal and went nowhere that I figured it out.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: Nat

· Registered
2,527 Posts
Adding to the frustration- fighting extremely tight tolerances of the beads the whole way while dumping the last of the available sealant everywhere, then furiously pumping for an extended period of time, trying unsuccessfully to inflate/seat beads... leaving a puddle of sweat on the floor of the garage. Realize it’s on wrong and start all over again…

I'm now less of a risk to the people and things around me having refined the products/process.

· Premium Member
8,929 Posts
In the last week. Put lowers on my Son’s DVO and filled with oil and then realized they were on backwards. In my defense, I run Manitou on my bikes.

· Registered
14,715 Posts
In the last week. Put lowers on my Son’s DVO and filled with oil and then realized they were on backwards.
I've done that once. Done the tire backwards at least once or twice.
Now I go through a redundant mental checklist in my head each time to make sure it's correct.

· Premium Member
8,929 Posts
I've done that once. Done the tire backwards at least once or twice.
Now I go through a redundant mental checklist in my head each time to make sure it's correct.

I do to, but still screw it up once in a while. Swear I looked at it 3 times before I put it on and then had a brain fart.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,016 Posts
Mounted a tire and forgot to be "pro" and align the logo with the valve stem. Left it.

Ride bike, notice an issue, make a mental note to fix it, ride bike, notice an issue wasn't fixed, make a mental note to fix it…
New avatar! Nice!
=sParty

· Registered
4,984 Posts
Mounted a tire and forgot to be "pro" and align the logo with the valve stem. Left it.

Ride bike, notice an issue, make a mental note to fix it, ride bike, notice an issue wasn't fixed, make a mental note to fix it…
PRs are out the window with a logo not lining up with the valve stem.

· Registered
604 Posts
Just did it the other day. Unfortunately it wasn't the bi-directional Hans Dampf that I did it on. 😄
I put my chamois on backwards once. Felt weird, not entirely unpleasant, but weird.
Did it feel like a new woman?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.