Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been no issues at all with my beautiful black '04 medium-sized switchblade in over a thousand miles of fairly hard riding here in San Diego, the more I ride her, the more I love her. The fact that Titus bikes are American-made influenced my buying decision (however, I won't purchase an inferior U.S. product). So, having read on this site that the new aluminum motolites will be made in Taiwan, and that Titus does not deal directly with customers anymore, I was concerned that the company was headed in a bad direction. I am not a dealer or an industry insider, merely a 53-year-old 205 lb. "Blade rider with loyal feelings” for Titus.

My wife and I decided to take a road trip to the Grand Canyon and Sedona for our Christmas vacation. We took a little side trip to Tempe, Arizona (since it was pretty much on the way). At 11am on 12-27-05, we visited the Titus factory. We saw that they were a small operation and quite busy. There wasn't a receptionist so a pleasant looking gentleman (I think it was Chris Cocalis but I’m not sure) came out of an office and chatted with us for a few minutes. He was very polite but I felt that we were intruding since we arrived unannounced. As we were taking our leave he stopped us, and had a fellow named Gus give us a tour of the facility.

Everyone was hard at work but friendly and the overall impression was "squared away" (an old navy term). The vibe was very positive and Gus answered all of my questions. They were building a custom 29" Exogrid Racer-X. They had it secured in a set-up jig for the entire welding process as opposed to just being tack-welded. I asked Gus about the Taiwan issue and his explanation (as I understood it) was that when Titus contracted with the Kinesis factory they were located in Oregon. Since that time the Kinesis home office in Taiwan closed down the Oregon plant. Faced with that, Titus opted to go with overseas production versus canceling the '05s. In my heart, I would prefer my bike to be handmade in America but sometimes business decisions must be made. Their explanation put to rest any questions I might have had as to the quality of these fine bikes. During the last part of the tour I saw an anodized blue '06 Motolite and, behold, I felt the stirrings in my loins!.... it was beautiful...if I didn't love my 'Blade so, I’d be sorely tempted to get one. There were many questions I forgot to ask, but the feeling I got was that this was a small company composed of good people working very hard to put out a good product. They were gracious hosts even though we didn’t call first. As we were leaving, they made sure I left with a new catalogue and a nice blue Titus poster for the bike area in my garage. I’m glad I went.
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Good to Hear.

That's pretty good news to me. It sounds like not much has changed from what I'd always heard about Titus. Just wish I could start experiecing it a little more. No dealer and Titus no longer helps me cause I'm not a dealer, just a custemer...
 

·
RHRF!
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
ML Over SB...

George Wong said:
There have been no issues at all with my beautiful black '04 medium-sized switchblade in over a thousand miles of fairly hard riding here in San Diego, the more I ride her, the more I love her. I am... merely a 53-year-old 205 lb. "Blade rider with loyal feelings" for Titus.
I too am a 'loyal' Titus owner that will soon be 48 and weight 220 lb. I rode my 2001 SB several 1K miles and thought it couldn't get any better...

George Wong said:
During the last part of the tour I saw an anodized blue '06 Motolite and, behold, I felt the stirrings in my loins!.... it was beautiful...if I didn't love my 'Blade so, I'd be sorely tempted to get one.
Well I did follow-through with my loin desires and finally retired the Blade to my sixteen year-old son for a new ML. I've had the ML since November and it just gets better with every ride (My Blue Baby). I never thought that I could find a sweeter ride than the SB, but I was wrong. The ML is already surpassing the SB in every category. I'm 5'9" and I opted for a medium with a 90 mm stem. IMO, the ML is better suited to heavier riders, it is lighter than the SB and climbs/descents better.

I'll always love the good times I had on the Blade but now it's the time of the Moto-Lite...

No SB regrets,

Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Quote TitusBro:

"Well I did follow-through with my loin desires and finally retired the Blade to my sixteen year-old son for a new ML. I've had the ML since November and it just gets better with every ride (My Blue Baby). I never thought that I could find a sweeter ride than the SB, but I was wrong. The ML is already surpassing the SB in every category. I'm 5'9" and I opted for a medium with a 90 mm stem. IMO, the ML is better suited to heavier riders, it is lighter than the SB and climbs/descents better."

"I'll always love the good times I had on the Blade but now it's the time of the Moto-Lite..."

"No SB regrets,"

"Pat" End Quote

Hi Pat,

There are no Titus shops down here in San Diego so I don't get to check the ML out. The nearest is in Orange County/Los Angeles but they are talking to dealers down here. I asked Titus about demo rides and they mentioned they will be demo-ing at Sea Otter.

How is your bike spec'd out? I'm running Talus shocks and forks on my Blade along with Conti Vertical Pro tires. Is your son happy with the Blade?

My wife will kill me if I buy another...

Geo
 

·
RHRF!
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
ML Spec

George Wong said:
Hi Pat,

There are no Titus shops down here in San Diego so I don't get to check the ML out. The nearest is in Orange County/Los Angeles but they are talking to dealers down here. I asked Titus about demo rides and they mentioned they will be demo-ing at Sea Otter.

How is your bike spec'd out? I'm running Talus shocks and forks on my Blade along with Conti Vertical Pro tires. Is your son happy with the Blade?

My wife will kill me if I buy another...

Geo
My build spec is listed here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=114204

My son likes the SB so far (see pic below), but he needs to learn to become a seated climber now...
 

Attachments

·
Trail Rider
Joined
·
914 Posts
Titus in San Diego

George Wong said:
Quote TitusBro:

"Well I did follow-through with my loin desires and finally retired the Blade to my sixteen year-old son for a new ML. I've had the ML since November and it just gets better with every ride (My Blue Baby). I never thought that I could find a sweeter ride than the SB, but I was wrong. The ML is already surpassing the SB in every category. I'm 5'9" and I opted for a medium with a 90 mm stem. IMO, the ML is better suited to heavier riders, it is lighter than the SB and climbs/descents better."

"I'll always love the good times I had on the Blade but now it's the time of the Moto-Lite..."

"No SB regrets,"

"Pat" End Quote

Hi Pat,

There are no Titus shops down here in San Diego so I don't get to check the ML out. The nearest is in Orange County/Los Angeles but they are talking to dealers down here. I asked Titus about demo rides and they mentioned they will be demo-ing at Sea Otter.

How is your bike spec'd out? I'm running Talus shocks and forks on my Blade along with Conti Vertical Pro tires. Is your son happy with the Blade?

My wife will kill me if I buy another...

Geo
California Bicycles in San Diego has a 06 med Motolite in stock(858-454-0306)
I'm going to check it out in person. I haven't seen one.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top