Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just absolutely rust it through. I rode/commuted the bike through December and a few days in January. It was to cold this winter to ride as much as I usually would have. But the salt ate my chain like a peep on Easter. It was probably a cheaper chain, but still. Was shocked when I saw how bad it was today after a month of sitting. Not even usable.

Stay out of the salt, is what I'm saying I guess.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yup.

I go through a lot of WD 40 in the winter.

You really need to spray down the drivetrain and lube the chain every couple of days.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,701 Posts
You need to move.

I hear Ukiah is nice.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
The main ingredient in WD40 (water displacement 40) is fish oil. It will gum up the chain so as to impede its performance. I stopped using WD40 on my huffy when I was 9, grow up ARS.

·
Class Clown
3,052 Posts
It can ruin just about any bike part. Winter beater is the way to go. Never mind a month, I've had a chain look like it was sitting in the ocean after a day. You really need to clean it well and check on it the next day and brush off any surface rust. Heck check out my thread in the suspension forum and see what it did to my shiny new fork!

·
Off the back...
2,278 Posts
I find using nickel-plated chains reduces the rust factor dramatically. I ride a singlespeed for a winter commuter, and the City uses a sand/salt blend liberally on the roads. The Dura-Ace 9spd chain works great, and I get them whenever they're on sale for around $25 each. I'm going through one every 18 months or so, whereas I used to go through 2 chains/year when I was using SRAM or other Shimano chains.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm still going to post a pic, sorry for the delay. But I used my bike lube on my 26' bikes chain today, I really don't use WD40.. I have on a couple rare occasions, tbh.. I don't think it's smart to use WD40 really ever, but it also will not destroy your bike as fast as some say. I bought good chain lube from Jenson on sale.

Also, I made a thread on "damp basement vs -20 garage" for winter storage.. Most people told me 'garage.' I would have to vote up the unfinished basement option after this brutal winter, however. The basement seemed to treat the bike better. Granted, it's not "damp" as in an inch of water on the floor, it's just unfinished.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
unless you are using the new WD40 "bike" specific poop, I certainly would NOT consider the regular old WD40 to be any part of my regular chain lube regiment...again, just a suggestion :nono:
That's a clean looking bike, looks solid. I have the same cranks. Not a huge fan of the Marin look overall, but that looks like a solid bike.

·
fRIDEday makes me happy!
902 Posts
Unfortunately unless you step up your maintenance you will see these results. Chains are fairly cheap so not a big deal. I have lived and biked in a number of places in the US and drive train maintenance will vary by location. Another thing you mentioned is the salt which public works in some areas will use but not in others.

Chain cleaning and storage prep after every ride for where you live is a must year round. After sitting for a month at the end of the winter can do much more than screw up your chain. Bottom brackets and things like that are also some that may succumb to the moisture. When living in the northeast I would grease up the bolt head on all bolts prior to winter, if not they would start to get rusty (damp unfinished basement).

Now let us talk about the bike sitting for a month... please don't do that again for you or the bike :)

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,701 Posts
Perhaps you should remove your chain and prep it for storage (clean/lube/seal it away) for periods of none usage.
I would get an old bathtub and fill it with oil, disassemble the bike and put all metal parts in the oil bath. I'd do this every night and reassemble in the morning for my ride.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts