Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my hip replaced on july24, I was wondering how long it would take to get back on my bike, My hip was the non cemented kind.
I have a doctor apt sept 1, but I was still wondering if anyone was ever in the same shoes as me?.
Right now i ride a tracer,and I thought a longer travel bike like a yeti 575 or a turner 5 spot or a foes fxr and or a intense 5.5 would be better bike for me to ride when my hip did get better? aka plusher for my new hip.
my doc said it ok to ride but no dhing thanks

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
What type of hip?

spongstick said:
I had my hip replaced on july24, I was wondering how long it would take to get back on my bike, My hip was the non cemented kind.
I have a doctor apt sept 1, but I was still wondering if anyone was ever in the same shoes as me?.
Right now i ride a tracer,and I thought a longer travel bike like a yeti 575 or a turner 5 spot or a foes fxr and or a intense 5.5 would be better bike for me to ride when my hip did get better? aka plusher for my new hip.
my doc said it ok to ride but no dhing thanks
Did you get a metal on metal, Ceramic or the most common metal/poly(plastic)? Oh, and how old are you? I have a feeling it'll be a while before you can really get a good ride in. Without ever having met you, generically, I would say time wise, count in months. The motion of pedalling can really place a decent amount of torque on the femoral component. Non-cemented hip replacements depend on your body to "grow" or heal into the surface of the components. And the incisions, even the new "mini" incision hips still take a while to rehab and get strength back.

I'm pretty confident that DHing is out but some mild XC in the future should be fine.

Get better and stronger quick so that Tracer doesn't feel too neglected.

REEK

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im 41 and i have metal on metal depuy,Im a o.r. tech I was told they last a long time(i hope) this operation takes a lot out of you.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
you're kinda young

spongstick said:
im 41 and i have metal on metal depuy,Im a o.r. tech I was told they last a long time(i hope) this operation takes a lot out of you.
41 is a bit young for a hip replacement. But metal on metal or ceramic is definitely the way to go for a youngster like you. Lasts a whole heck a lot longer and don't deal with the bone loss problem like the metal/plastic.

Do what your therapist tells you to do and you should do fine. And don't rush to get on your bike, it will ride a lot nicer when you hip is 100%

Enjoy - I replace hips and knees for a living.

REEK

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
Reek said:
41 is a bit young for a hip replacement. But metal on metal or ceramic is definitely the way to go for a youngster like you. Lasts a whole heck a lot longer and don't deal with the bone loss problem like the metal/plastic.

Do what your therapist tells you to do and you should do fine. And don't rush to get on your bike, it will ride a lot nicer when you hip is 100%

Enjoy - I replace hips and knees for a living.

REEK
What do you think are the prospects for a 61 year old XC rider needing knee replacements?

Would mountain biking be completely ruled out?

·
Registered
94 Posts
About hip replacements

I'm curious... what physical condition or disease is it that usually results in a hip replacement being required? And what are the most common signs that indicate that a hip replacement will be required at some point?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
spongestick

spongestick was my name. Its a o.r. inst. with a 4x4 wraped around it used to retract and to check for bleading,but i was kind of buzzed when i signed up

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Reek, more info please

Reek said:
I replace hips and knees for a living.
Reek, more info please... Could you please tell us more about knee replacements and the prospects for XC mountain biking afterward? I'm 55 and after seven surgeries there is nothing left to do but replace them. Most of the cartilage has peeled off. I've been putting it off as long as possible because I've heard that will probably be the end of mountain biking for me. Any information would be appreciated.

·
uofabill
213 Posts
Too much experience!

I've had both hips replaced and both revised once. Had to have it done when I was 35. Started out with the original "cemented in" process. Those had an approximate 15 yr life and that's what I got out of one of them.On the other one the cemnt failed on the femural piece after 6 yrs. Now I have two porous ingrowth femural prosthetic pieces with poly sockets. So far so good!
To answer your question, my experience has varied. It depends on how the surgery went and how it all turned out. With one of the revisions my recovery was pretty lengthy and difficult. With the last one it went incredibly well. It's kind of late but I strongly encourage water therapy, doing exercises in a pool. It seemed to greatly speed my recovery.
I'm no doctor and sure don't want to give medical advise but with the porous ingrowth process as the "real Doc" already said the bone needs to bond/grow to the textured metal prosthesis in the femur. That takes awhile (I think) and is really critical to the longevity of the joint. Needless to say you don't want to be banging your new hip around. That means not taking any unnecessary risks. No jolting it.
I started back riding by riding my stationary bike, to get all the muscles back to working again. It was awhile before I could make a full pedal revoloution.
In general, I think in 6 months it should be feeling pretty good. Then maybe you can start doing "easy rides". Probably on the street to start with.
I don't think I need to say this but I will, after going through that proceedure I wouldn't think you'd want to risk tearing your new hip up and having to go through it again.
With in a year if everything goes well you will probably forget you've had it done at times.

As far as knees go, I don't have first hand experience there but have a friend who is a rider who just turned 60 and has had to have both knees replaced. I think he used incredibly poor judgement but he got back on his bike after about a month. That is just plain irresponsible, but he did it anyway. I also believe that knees are quite a bit different than knees because they don't "snap together" like a hip joint. Seems to me they are easier to damage post surgery.

You've got the worst of it behind you, just don't take any chances until it's had time to heal well.
Good Luck!
Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts