Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are they always out of bikes? I would assume that them being a bike company that they would need to have bikes to sell to make money, right? I am going to buy a road bike and guess what, they are ALL OUT, not even one to consider. And a guy I ride with, as much as he liked my Ibex bought a Giant guess why? 'Cause Ibex is out of most of their Mountain Bikes too! Can anyone explain this to me in a way that makes sense? I could understand being out for a few days or a couple of weeks but is seems like if you do not get one right after a shipment then you are just out of luck. Seems like an odd business model to me. They just lost out on 2 more bike sales, makes no sense and now I have to go deal with the a-holes at my LBS.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
if you like cheap online bikes, why don't you go check out bikes direct? apparently they don't have the best service in the world (no personal experience) but if the guys at your LBS have crap service, why not?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
like Jake said, call up and ask...

Ibex does sell fast just like any good deal out there. Hell, do you know what the waiting period is for a Santa Cruz? or a Versus? Last time i heard a V10 was like 3 months.... Versus is waiting for the new shipment... XD

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
The road side I don't fallow so cant say. :cool:

The MTB side I would say under estimating sales. You get into a new model which means testing to get it where you want it or what you feel your customers are looking for. Then figuring our how many price points of a model line you will need and what price range they will fit into. Which ones will sell the best is a tough one either you get to many or not enough, the latter is sometimes a good thing, so because you sold out of a model early do you over produce to cover it this time or will it slow down because another model is coming out that may be a big seller. It's a juggling game hopefully you make the right call.

Also lets not forget there was to be a new Atlas for '08 which didn't get to production that would have taken some of the sales away from other models. :rockon:

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Actually, its not just Ibex. Every bike company is dealing with this problem right now, just not always as noticeable. Supplies are very shorts for both bikes and parts coming from Asia, and companies are not always good at forecasting sales.

Look at Gary Fisher. Most of their 08 models have been sold out for over a month, and they wont have any new bikes until the 09s come out next month. Some new models wont even be out until late this summer.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's just a bummer. Same thing happened last year. It's gotta be tough being a consumer goods company without any consumer goods!

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Better to be sold out then to be over stoked... I tihnk Ibex is doing very well... check that out... XD Feel bad for those who want one but cant til the next shipment though... but oh well...

Ignition-1 - Soldout
Ignition-2 - Soldout
Ignition-3 -18" Soldout
Ignition Super - Soldout
Ignition Frame -Soldout

All Atlas -Soldout
Atlas Expert Frame - 16.5 Soldout
Atlas Pro Frame - 16.5 and 20.5 Soldout

Asta Expert X9 - Orange 18" Soldout
Asta Pro - 20" Soldout

Alpine 450 - 14" and 22" Soldout
Alpine 550 - 14", 20", 22" Soldout
Alpine 650 -18" Soldout

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.