Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have seen a few posts about me recently. I have stage 4 prostate cancer and it’s in my bones and causes anemia. I’m getting EPO shots for the anemia, but it hasn’t kicked in yet. I love technical riding, so my awesome riding buddies have been towing me up the steeper grades and trails that require huge bursts of energy. In this pic, my friend K2 was towing me up Oat Hill Mine Road in Calistoga last Friday.

The towing experience is amazing for both riders. I am getting a 20-30% power boost, with spikes to 50%. K2 is training for the Boggs 8-hour race, and can you imagine a better way to get an extra training edge? Towing adds a very unique technical challenge for both riders … for example, when K2 needs to boost up a short rise or rock shelf, I’m at the bottom of it when he’s already at the top, so to give me a boost, he has to maintain max power after cresting. By the way, he used a 1X11 drivetrain with a 36-tooth front chain ring. Ouch!
The tow is set up using a $15 retractable dog leash and a $2 bungee cord. The coolest part of this is that it allows me to maintain my technical skills, both on the uphills and down (where I am unleashed).

You can read more about my adventures with cancer and mountain biking at Facing Challenges ... | Funds for Fuzzy.

K2_tows_Fuzzy_Calistoga.jpg

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Now that's a True friend.
Great to see you getting out to ride also..

·
Paper or plastic?
10,134 Posts
Damn, is your buddy getting EPO shots as well? :) That's mighty impressive and inspiring.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Way to go you two, now that's some dedication....:)
Good luck on the race K2, I'll more than likley see you before the race if not good luck.
Motor on Big trees, :):) see you soon.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
That's great. I'm doing the Boggs race too. Do you think you're friend would mind towing me up road 200 on each lap? That'd be nice.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stay tuned

Great friend indeed ... talk about feeling connected!

I have found that you can sometimes take a very serious issue and turn it around to create more fun! That's mountain biking magic ...

Stay tuned for pics of a double tow! We do it "inline" -- 1st strong rider tows 2nd strong rider and 2nd rider tows me -- a 25 foot train. We've already done it to the top of Mt. Tam ... it's just hard to get pics of the train with tow lines visible.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey, you could stay connected on the way down, and ride side by side. That way you could scoop up all the hikers.

Kidding!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, you could stay connected on the way down, and ride side by side. That way you could scoop up all the hikers.

Kidding!
Actually, we do sometimes stay connected on downhills to save the time it takes to disconnect and re-connect. That introduces a unique technical challenge! You gotta focus, especially if the leader has a choice of which way to go around a tree! BTW, I've had 5 different riders towing me, and they all report that it's fun. The double tow makes it easier on everyone ...

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,161 Posts
That is impressive. Way to go, both of you!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts