Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this deal on a Cateye Enduro Altimeter last week over at Nashbar so I picked it up. It not only has an Altimeter function but also a thermometer. I have been looking for a way to embellish any ride reports by coming up with some elevation figures. Well now I have it. I am not sure about the thermometer part because it never budged from 23.

My ride today started on my mountain bike and I rode up the hill but after gaining 640 feet I packed it in. On the way down there was a little hill and I added 40 more feet for a total of 680. The Cateyes all use the same wiring so I swapped it onto my road bike. Now heres the cool thing about elevation gain. Everytime you gain 10 feet it registers but not if you lose 10 feet. So I went on a hilly road ride and added 720 more feet. So now I can say I put in 1400 feet of climbing. :) along with 33 miles. Best thing about it might have been the price-$40. :)

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
I have the CatEye AT100 coming for Christmas too. Looks to have a temp gauge as well as altimeter, looking forward to having another gadget to play with.

So, curious though. Does it not count all of your elevation gain since it does not count when you go back down and up again?

borregokid said:
I saw this deal on a Cateye Enduro Altimeter last week over at Nashbar so I picked it up. It not only has an Altimeter function but also a thermometer. I have been looking for a way to embellish any ride reports by coming up with some elevation figures. Well now I have it. I am not sure about the thermometer part because it never budged from 23.

My ride today started on my mountain bike and I rode up the hill but after gaining 640 feet I packed it in. On the way down there was a little hill and I added 40 more feet for a total of 680. The Cateyes all use the same wiring so I swapped it onto my road bike. Now heres the cool thing about elevation gain. Everytime you gain 10 feet it registers but not if you lose 10 feet. So I went on a hilly road ride and added 720 more feet. So now I can say I put in 1400 feet of climbing. :) along with 33 miles. Best thing about it might have been the price-$40. :)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It counts all the elevation gained as long as they are more than 10 feet. If you go down a little hill and lose 40 feet and then go back up to the elevation you were at you just gained another 40 feet. Its kind of how the folks in Iowa came up with the 11,000 feet of climbing on the ride across Iowa even though its fairly flat.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
The kooky thing about altimeters that "gain" every 10 feet is that you could be at any number of "rolling" areas around here and "gain" 2000 in a day just by middle ringing around the place. Rolling back up a 20' hill after coasting down one just doesn't count as gaining 20' in this book.

It seems to be much more "accurate" to compare the altimeter reading with the topo and split the difference.

Most of the good ones measure both up and down. I've been told some of the new GPS units measure in increments of 3 feet.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Borneo said:
. Rolling back up a 20' hill after coasting down one just doesn't count as gaining 20' in this book..
I hope this thing make it through to next spring because I might just put in 8,000 feet of climbing in my backyard, or maybe riding around the block. :) Now that I have one it all counts. :)

·
El Malo
549 Posts
I've noticed that using altimetres to determine cumulative gain is usually as good as guessing it by reading a GreenTrails map... this especially in the winter when pressure is most unstable and this requires calibrating more often...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
i may just prefer to stay ignorant.... :D

and to think i was actually feeling a little modern for getting a bigger compass last month. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts