Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a short summary from an extensive ride that I did on the Spot today. It's a totally different ride than the RFX. I really don't know where people are coming from?

The impression that I got right away was that the MX was not playing well with the air fork. I can't stand the combo. Tried it on the HL and although it jumps very well (as in DJ style lip action), it just is much too overwhelmed in the chunk. I'm not even completely sure that the MX tune shock is as good of a compliment as the Pushed air shock at this point. Something about the way the bike wants to resist the low speed compression and the inherent nature of that in the coil is just too much. Climbing was a chore believe it or not. We hit the 3sisters and I was beat...even more so than with the HL. It's just so much more compliant on steep, loose, tecnical climbs that I was constantly fighting to keep the front end planted and from wandering. It also does not want to "squat" at all. I found that the most difficult to get used to. Trying to go up and over feature on the same climb, was difficult as I could not preload to gain momentum. This bike needs to be pedaled and pedaled fast. It's not a technical climber...not this config anyway.

There should be some pix popping up soon and I managed to clean most everything on the normal loop, but it wasn't the same. Not a substituted for a dialed RFX in it's element.

I could not stay back on the steep rock rollers. Due to the "anti-squat". She wanted to sit way higher in the travel. However, this was a bonus in the cornering. It corners great as well.

She's a great DJ bike!

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
This is a short summary from an extensive ride that I did on the Spot today. It's a totally different ride than the RFX. I really don't know where people are coming from?

The impression that I got right away was that the MX was not playing well with the air fork. I can't stand the combo. Tried it on the HL and although it jumps very well (as in DJ style lip action), it just is much too overwhelmed in the chunk. I'm not even completely sure that the MX tune shock is as good of a compliment as the Pushed air shock at this point. Something about the way the bike wants to resist the low speed compression and the inherent nature of that in the coil is just too much. Climbing was a chore believe it or not. We hit the 3sisters and I was beat...even more so than with the HL. It's just so much more compliant on steep, loose, tecnical climbs that I was constantly fighting to keep the front end planted and from wandering. It also does not want to "squat" at all. I found that the most difficult to get used to. Trying to go up and over feature on the same climb, was difficult as I could not preload to gain momentum. This bike needs to be pedaled and pedaled fast. It's not a technical climber...not this config anyway.

There should be some pix popping up soon and I managed to clean most everything on the normal loop, but it wasn't the same. Not a substituted for a dialed RFX in it's element.

I could not stay back on the steep rock rollers. Due to the "anti-squat". She wanted to sit way higher in the travel. However, this was a bonus in the cornering. It corners great as well.

She's a great DJ bike!
Watch you talking about Willis I need picc's am confused!

A spot what spot HL TNT DWL I NEED tech data and a graph bro :D

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trailadvent said:
Watch you talking about Willis I need picc's am confused!

A spot what spot HL TNT DWL I NEED tech data and a graph bro :D
You can do better than that. I expected a critique of my critique, even from you:p

This was the first time that I actually tried to learn about what the bike was doing mechanically and what I was feeling vs just riding. FWIW...I like just riding as it's a lot more fun! The bike was awesome for a beefy racer! I just couldn't keep up with the damn thing.:confused:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
The impression that I got right away was that the MX was not playing well with the air fork. I can't stand the combo. Tried it on the HL and although it jumps very well (as in DJ style lip action), it just is much too overwhelmed in the chunk. I'm not even completely sure that the MX tune shock is as good of a compliment as the Pushed air shock at this point.

She's a great DJ bike!
What was overwhelmed? The rear mx coil or the Lyric 2-step air fork? What did you think of the Lyric?

Maybe the bike would be better with a similar fork set at 150 mm (Lyric solo air or Lyric U-turn)

TG

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G-AIR said:
What was overwhelmed? The rear mx coil or the Lyric 2-step air fork? What did you think of the Lyric?

Maybe the bike would be better with a similar fork set at 150 mm (Lyric solo air or Lyric U-turn)

TG
The air fork. The Lyric (air) is not such a great fork for this bike with this shock. It's to tall and the air keeps you up until that anti squat kicks in and then it'll dive. I'm telling you that the rear of this bike want to stay up. If you resist it, it will beat you up. I don't know about most people but I don't always attack a hill in attack mode. I mostly just gear down crawl. I tend to stay on my bike a lot more, but I frustrate those that are trying to hammer. Hammering only works part of the time in our terrain, for me anyway. Slow steady and meticulous is the name of the game and you absolutely need to be able to up and over 6-8" square edges. This thing hits a square edge and hesitates just enough to lose traction.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
You can do better than that. I expected a critique of my critique, even from you:p

This was the first time that I actually tried to learn about what the bike was doing mechanically and what I was feeling vs just riding. FWIW...I like just riding as it's a lot more fun! The bike was awesome for a beefy racer! I just couldn't keep up with the damn thing.:confused:
I here ya bro, honestly I can't see any picc :confused:

Maybe my connection is too slow, dam piece of string, literally :D

I was reading Totem issues and one thing I think we over think or focus on with the MTB is the rear shock anit squat and all this stuff all good etc

But often overlooked is the fork, for me I would rather the focus on the fork first!

Its more important to performance and the end of the spectrum you're riding than people realise, for general trail riding people may think there fork or setup is ok!

But if all things considered and bike is ok I would rather have my fork dialed in before focusing on the shock, anyone who knows me would know this!

So I'm not surprised by your thoughts, either on the Spot or the HL and in fact it get worse th bigger ya go.

Because everyone is so focused on crutches to help them pedal better, its often at the expense of everything else, Im not talking about linkages here, just focusing on the basic setup and balance of the bike!

Plus ya have to compare apples for apples, a Flux needs a different setup to a Spot like a Spot needs to be adjusted differently to the HL and similary the DHR.

Theories maybe similar or can be qouted by e experts, but we all ride differently on differnent terrain!

I don't want to read someone qouting there 29er to a HL ro even a Spot theyre different get over it, they might ride the same terrain but so can a hard tail on a DH course, does not mean the same thing.

As to your ride impressions bro, it takes time to dial in, youre very privealged that youve had one top setup RFX and all things considered it may suit you best all round and will be hard to get something that maybe as good for you, I know I will miss mine, I just hope I don't and up regretting it, like losing an old friend ya can always rely on, and thats hard to find buddy.

So dialing it in to be fair takes some time and preference to suit you but on nar its not apples for apples to compare to your RFX or HL they are differnent bikes like you said, for hard coare long distance ride time you could get to like it I'm sure:thumbsup:

Hows that, I still need pictures :D

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Are you , by chance, lighter than PJ? Personally, I think you would have been better off taking the air shock & playing around with different sag/pressures...

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jncarpenter said:
Are you , by chance, lighter than PJ? Personally, I think you would have been better off taking the air shock & playing around with different sag/pressures...

We are the same weight. I've lost a bit pedaling the HL.

TA.. I respect what you are saying, but that coil was NOT right on that bike. It was obvious. I could have dialed out the low speed compression a bit I think it would have wallowed during g-outs.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
We are the same weight. I've lost a bit pedaling the HL.

TA.. I respect what you are saying, but that coil was NOT right on that bike. It was obvious. I could have dialed out the low speed compression a bit I think it would have wallowed during g-outs.
I hear that buddy, pedaling my Dj SS around where i used to ride the Spot and RFX pre injury and DHching whipped me into shape.

Ya I hear ya on the shock bro, I picked that up, I was being general not at you persay, just that setup and balance is eky on any rig for that rider, and a poor shock or problem will be exacerbated by a poor fork or a good shock will be do the same to a fork that lacks the ability to perform equally as well if not better.

My Spo I had the DHXa on her everyone here knows that was not a good shock, let alone a good shock on a Turner, did it bother me not really, could I have had better performance yup, did it bother me know, but it did on the RFX, different requirements and I could happily put up with it because my fork was so good no matter what I threw at it.

Just saying is all, now get that MX tune shock sorted bro and then sort that fork out or get a good coil on front, I actually myself liked RS damping in air, but am not personally ride familiar on an air Lyrik Ive ridden one once, but my PIKE uturn air was a great fork for that bike. Like you I still prefer coil.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I understand...

Going from my single pivot to the DW spot took some time in the tech climbing department. It's a different style. The Ciclon I was on was a squat machine but was very active climbing the rocks and got really good traction. However, you pretty much always had to be out of the saddle going up steep rough to keep the bike balanced. It definitely took time to learn the nuances of climbing the DW in really tech ledgy conditions. For quite some time I preferred the tech climbing style of my single pivot.

When descending I found the DW likes to have the rear wheel weighted pretty good. If you unweight it it can bounce around especially if you're not running enough rebound dampening. To negate that I run a little more rebound which keeps the rear wheel glued. You have to be careful here tho because too much will cause the bike to wallow and feel dead. For a while I was running too much dampening. I went to one click less dampening and a little more sag and presto, the bike came alive on the climbs and descents without wallow or being too lively where the rear end skipped around. Getting the sag and rebound relationship right is pretty key I think. I've been on the bike for nearly a year now and just a couple months ago got the shock exactly where it will perform best all around. Pushed, 1.2x18x135 shim, psi 35lbs less than rtrw, 3 clicks of rebound.

I admit, a little squat action is nice when you're descending, braking into a corner or pedaling out of one. But the DW does a great too once you get the shock dialed. It's a style thing... dial the shock then adjust your style a little.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LncNuvue said:
Going from my single pivot to the DW spot took some time in the tech climbing department. It's a different style. The Ciclon I was on was a squat machine but was very active climbing the rocks and got really good traction. However, you pretty much always had to be out of the saddle going up steep rough to keep the bike balanced. It definitely took time to learn the nuances of climbing the DW in really tech ledgy conditions. For quite some time I preferred the tech climbing style of my single pivot.

When descending I found the DW likes to have the rear wheel weighted pretty good. If you unweight it it can bounce around especially if you're not running enough rebound dampening. To negate that I run a little more rebound which keeps the rear wheel glued. You have to be careful here tho because too much will cause the bike to wallow and feel dead. For a while I was running too much dampening. I went to one click less dampening and a little more sag and presto, the bike came alive on the climbs and descents without wallow or being too lively where the rear end skipped around. Getting the sag and rebound relationship right is pretty key I think. I've been on the bike for nearly a year now and just a couple months ago got the shock exactly where it will perform best all around. Pushed, 1.2x18x135 shim, psi 35lbs less than rtrw, 3 clicks of rebound.

I admit, a little squat action is nice when you're descending, braking into a corner or pedaling out of one. But the DW does a great too once you get the shock dialed. It's a style thing... dial the shock then adjust your style a little.
Gotcha! It mostly boils down to style...IMO.

·
tardcore
821 Posts
Pix

Sorry, kids work etc. I forgot my camera s these were taken with my iPhone so please excuse the quality. As far as riding impressions, I really like my bike but do not ride like 123. My interest was to give him as much experience as possible on a DW Spot plus despite what people may think he's a good guy to go on a ride with ;)

Attachments

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
pjlama said:
Sorry, kids work etc. I forgot my camera s these were taken with my iPhone so please excuse the quality. As far as riding impressions, I really like my bike but do not ride like 123. My interest was to give him as much experience as possible on a DW Spot plus despite what people may think he's a good guy to go on a ride with ;)
That's focking core! Smoking and drinking on the ride. I heard that was mtb123's MO!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
iheartbicycles said:
That's focking core! Smoking and drinking on the ride. I heard that was mtb123's MO!
smoking is so focking rad...between the new breed of homers, old skewl National Champ cactus, its DEFINITELY the boss thing to do!

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Dang that's b i t c h i n mtn bad ass right there and in snow too, we finish off with beer but not while riding sometimes when digging or canadian club prefer cold beer myself:D

I love it not a sheep in lycra bro you ride ya own lines ..

Oldshcool right there and new school rig, like the color too it pops :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Smokin butts is dumb!!!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts