Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got hit by another car on my road bike commuting to work.

I am done with road bikes.

Severe contusion / laxity in my left ring finger.

Strain / partial tear of Quadriceps / Patellar ligament on my left knee (the same knee that I just finished physical therapy for at the end of December).

On the plus side, when I was hit my hand broke their side mirror off, my knee dented their door really bad, and my pedal punctured their door.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
Holy crap dude. I was going to say that this isn't your year, but this is a whole new year. Are you taking unnecessary risks, or are there just that many idiots driving around there?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not my fault again. I was in a bike lane doing everything I should be. Then I get side swiped by this car.

Yeah this is in Santa Cruz CA. Apparently just a bunch of bad drivers.

I think I am just going to sell my road bikes and stick to mtb riding. I hate the idea of not being able to ride to work, but I think the universe is trying to tell me something...

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
joshed said:
Got hit by another car on my road bike commuting to work.

I am done with road bikes.

Severe contusion / laxity in my left ring finger.

Strain / partial tear of Quadriceps / Patellar ligament on my left knee (the same knee that I just finished physical therapy for at the end of December).

On the plus side, when I was hit my hand broke their side mirror off, my knee dented their door really bad, and my pedal punctured their door.
Five years every day and no hits.....

You really need to step back and consider what you are doing before you die.

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
Wow Joshed, sorry to hear that - must've been scary! Hope you can heal up 100%. Lotta bad drivers out there, sorry they seem to be finding you. We (VT) lost 2 twentysomething drivers yesterday to a head-on crash for no reason (that they have figured out yet anyway - daylight, not speeding, etc.), so it's dangerous out there. We have also lost 6 snowmobilers already this winter - strating to make my bike commute look safer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jeffscott said:
Five years every day and no hits.....

You really need to step back and consider what you are doing before you die.
You are lucky.

I just have terrible luck apparently. I have not been in the wrong with any of my accidents. I am a super cautious/defensive commuter and there are some things I obviously cannot control.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mtbxplorer said:
Wow Joshed, sorry to hear that - must've been scary! Hope you can heal up 100%. Lotta bad drivers out there, sorry they seem to be finding you. We (VT) lost 2 twentysomething drivers yesterday to a head-on crash for no reason (that they have figured out yet anyway - daylight, not speeding, etc.), so it's dangerous out there. We have also lost 6 snowmobilers already this winter - strating to make my bike commute look safer.
That is scary and thanks man. =]

Hopefully be riding (mtb) again soon. I really think I am done doing road/commuting. =\

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Dude! you have a bunch of idiots driving in your town! Keep safe and heal of quick!!

·
namagomi
2,884 Posts
That is some bad luck(or good luck since you're still here), since you're quitting though I don't have any advice to offer.

Perhaps you can write a short piece for the local newspaper on your perspective.

Sorry these people deprived you of the chance to enjoy cycling.

·
No-Brakes Cougar
1,143 Posts
JESUS CHRIST JOSH, again?!? I hope you're OK. I can't believe I'm saying this, but yeah maybe you should lay off the road cycling for awhile. Sounds like cycling in Santa Cruz is just too dangerous. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!? Hope you heal up quick!

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Holy crap! Man, they must really have it in for you. To be honest, if I had that kind of luck I`d probably be saying goodbye to road riding too.

So, what`s with the reinjury of your knee? That won`t leave it toasted, will it? I`m sure your hands hurt, but (at least to me), it doesn`t sound as serious as your knee.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That sucks, no doubt.

What are you doing to be seen? I'm almost obsessive about being seen. I wear a bright yellow rain jacket or a reflective vest, have three reflectors on each wheel, reflective tape between each spoke front and back, reflective sidewall tires, reflective rear slow-moving vehicle triangle, a normal tail reflector, reflectors on the side of each water bottle cage, and reflective tape on my fenders. During the day I have a Magicshine on SOS and a Dinotte 140L taillight on flash. At night, I put those on high, and add a blinky to my left side. I also always have a PB Superflash on the back of my helmet on flash.

If you're riding in heavy traffic, I've also found a helmet mounted light (Dinotte 200L or Fenix L2D Premium Q5) and Airzounds horn indispensible. With that, I could look at a driver and get their attention with the light. If that failed, I also had the Airzounds to use.

Fortunately, I've never been hit in close to 10,000 commuting miles in the past 5 years.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
joshed said:
You are lucky.No I AM SMART AND CAREFUL

I just have terrible luck apparently.No you are doing things wrong I have not been in the wrong with any of my accidents. I am a super cautious/defensive commuter The evidence indicates otherwiseand there are some things I obviously cannot control.Not at all true
Your attitude needs adjustment.

You have total control over what you do do where you ride and what risks you take. You choices and desicions are totally your responsiblity.

You need to reevaluate your riding, your routes, and the risks you take.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys.

The knee is doing surprisingly well. Only sore to the touch, but doesnt effect walking, sitting, etc.

My hand is probably the most painful and inconvenient injury from this accident. I cant close my fist still so grabbing anything with my left hand is kind of out of the question. It is also still pretty swollen.

I am laying off road riding for sure. Especially for commuting. Unfortunately there really isn't much of a route I could take to avoid traffic because I work downtown Santa Cruz. I am getting married in May and I would really like to be around for that. =]

I am just running lights front and back and wearing a white reflective helmet.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jeffscott said:

You have total control over what you do do where you ride and what risks you take. You choices and desicions are totally your responsiblity.

I don't know what your deal is or why you are pointing at me being the problem here.

I got hit by a car. I was not ruled at fault by witnesses and the police who wrote the report. I was riding in a bike lane on a straight road when I was hit by a car from the side (out of my peripheral view when I was looking straight ahead of me).

Use spell check and lay off man.

·
Registered
220 Posts
jeffscott said:

Seriously? So YOU can control the behaviour of others at all time while maintaining 360 degrees of vision and riding a bicycle? I am impressed. :rolleyes:

As a careful and responsible rider, I can honestly say that NOTHING short of taking transit or walking would have prevented the 2 accidents I have had in the last couple of years. In each case, a driver unpredictably and suddenly acted against common sense and the rules of the road while right next to me. When each car hit me, I was in a bike lane, following the rules, and aware of their presence. I saw the accident coming on both occasions (car suddenly turns into me, despite being aware of my presence), but had no time to react. Clearly I am in insufficient control of myself and others....

·
Registered
220 Posts
joshed said:
I don't know what your deal is or why you are pointing at me being the problem here.

I got hit by a car. I was not ruled at fault by witnesses and the police who wrote the report. I was riding in a bike lane on a straight road when I was hit by a car from the side (out of my peripheral view when I was looking straight ahead of me).

Use spell check and lay off man.
:thumbsup:

And best wishes with the healing.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
joshed said:
You are lucky.

I just have terrible luck apparently. I have not been in the wrong with any of my accidents. I am a super cautious/defensive commuter and there are some things I obviously cannot control.
I have know idea what you are doing or not doing, but 'fault' or 'right/wrong' isn't comprehensive enough. People wreck cars all the time, but the risk is more financial than physical. On bikes, injury raises the level of concern beyond financial.

Personally, I wouldn't commute if I had to ride high traffic roads ... with or without adequate bike lanes.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.