Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm not only into mtn. biking but i do road riding as training. well my buddy who use to be a really fast track rider now does triathlons. He just learned that i'm faster then him and he is a crazy fast runner. So he wants to start a team in which a person runs. a person, swims, and a person bikes. Well they want me to bike for them and i would love to, but i'm not sure how hard it would be for me.

Alot of the races have around a 10mile bike ride. i was wondering how fast i would need to be able to do the 10miles in to be a decent finisher in my catagory? If i have no bad head wind i should be able sustain a speed of 25-30mph. Is that good or would i get my a$$ handed to me by these guys?

Thanks alot! i was just wondering because i think if i agree to do this with my friends they will do a team 12hour bike race with me...cause i can't do that solo......

·
Registered
52 Posts
ibanezrg520kid said:
So i'm not only into mtn. biking but i do road riding as training. well my buddy who use to be a really fast track rider now does triathlons. He just learned that i'm faster then him and he is a crazy fast runner. So he wants to start a team in which a person runs. a person, swims, and a person bikes. Well they want me to bike for them and i would love to, but i'm not sure how hard it would be for me.

Alot of the races have around a 10mile bike ride. i was wondering how fast i would need to be able to do the 10miles in to be a decent finisher in my catagory? If i have no bad head wind i should be able sustain a speed of 25-30mph. Is that good or would i get my a$$ handed to me by these guys?

Thanks alot! i was just wondering because i think if i agree to do this with my friends they will do a team 12hour bike race with me...cause i can't do that solo......
Kinda of a hard question to answer, without knowing anything about you.

My experience was that as a dedicated roadie riding at the Open/AA level of our local L.I. road club, I was faster then the great majority of athletes doing a full tri, but not as fast, or about the same as the extreme upper echelon of solo's, with quite a few ringers on the teams, but that's what I was as well. Much too, depends on the course and how much specific training you can do for a particular event (even if you WANT to do that).

The funny thing about a team, is you can blister the course and still not finish top 3 in an age group, if only 'cause other teams had a really good swimmer or runner, better then your own. Team finishes are sometimes beyond your control. I saw one Tri team (Oyster Bay NY, Seacrest 2000), that had a swimmer named Jessica Foschi who, at the time, narrowly missed being on the US Olympic swim team. You never know with something like that, you could be the fastest bike split of the day, but may have started with a 2 minute deficit to someone like Jessica.

My advice is go and do it anyway, you'll have fun regardless.

SB

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i should have given you more info about myself. I'm 16years old and i'm mainly a mtn. biker, but i ride trainers every night no my road bike. i have an old trek frame completely outfitted in camaganolo parts and i like to do road races through rush hour traffic with my friends!!! i don't really know what to share about myself besides i usually ride rollers for an hour everynight and that i ride every and am in pretty good shape.

Yeah the runner on my team is really fast. the swimmer is supposed to be a very fast runner, but i dont really know him but i've heard good things about him. if anyone was to lose it for us..it would probably be me. :(

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
I've done a few tri- & duathlon relay events over the years. One thing I think you're missing about doing the team event is TO HAVE FUN ! You're 16 fer cry-eye so unless you guys are all state champions in swimming, running and cycling you're going to get beat. It doesn't matter who beats you BECAUSE YOU SHOULD BE THERE TO HAVE FUN !

Do your best, but have fun!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The splits for 10m bike course are differant on every race. Depending on wind, type of asphalt, technicality of the course etc..etc.. I ride a TT bike(which is radically the only road bike i own, along with my sworks HT mtn :) ) and i can rip up all those tri dorks. Most mtn bikers i think can do a pretty good TT run, im guessing its because the variety of the terrian we ride.. Truthfully i have no idea. But to get the best idea of what to expect you should try to find the website of the race's and look at the past time splits. They should have a pretty big chart of all the info. In south florida if you can keep a 22mph avg over 10m your allready in top 25% with a 23-25avg your pretty much top 10. Anyway hope i could help ya out. Good luck.

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
Ill be honest, i scanned most of the posts after i read 16yrs old and can avg 25-30 mph ..............if that is the case you will be fine

im a better than average sport mtb racer and i only avg 24/25 in our local road TT...(we do a time trial every thursday that is 12 miles and if you can push into the 30s ...you are beating the old school road masters and cat 3 plus category guys easily and some of them were on one of the top road teams here in MS....)

you are in fine shape...id say go for it and see what happens... :)

-Boz

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. i'm just going to keep training and now that i got a trainer i'll be doing some of that to to prepare. I'm just going to keep doing what i'm doing and have fun. but dang sounds like i'm in better shape than i expected!! i thought i wasn't going to be very competitive, but mabye i'll do better than i thought! thanks again guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.