Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
DIY all the way
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered a few hefty LED's a couple of weeks ago by a company I work for.

All I was told was that it was real hefty, so I had to wait impatiently.

Today this was delivered:

Luminus Devices: CST-90 White LED

Holy crap those are hefty!
I have never seen anything more powerful than the Cree stuff, so to be honest I'm a bit surprised to say the least.

An output on the other side of 2000 lumen from a single chip at like 4V :eekster:

Magura :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lucky you! It's a different beast altogether to the Crees - a much larger die size means larger optics are required and the power systems and thermal design of any housing need to be able to cope with the 13.5 amp maximum current and 50 watt output. Mind you, a d2Flex could drive it at up to 10 amps. I haven't seen any bike installations involving these but they are used in some stage lighting rigs - or at least the coloured ones are.

What are you going to use it in!? :D

·
DIY all the way
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't decided yet what the housing should be like, but I will make a housing probably involving forced air cooling.
I have made a driver that allows me to dim it, by adjusting the duty cycle.
The driver can deliver 50A if needed, so 22A 50% duty cycle is possible.

I also have a bunch of Li-Ion 2.5Ah cells to power it, so that side of the story is kinda dealt with.

I guess I will have to see if I can find a suitable fan for the project, and take it from there.

Magura :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.