Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
100.oz minimum
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a flat today. It was the rear tire of course, & right after I freshly oiled my chain. I took the tube out & carefully inspected the inside of the tire only to find the culprit: a small pointy sharp rock from a creek crossing I just crossed. I'm glad that I carefully inspected the inside of the tire for had I not, the new tube would have surely flattened. Just a lesson to remind everyone to carefully inspect the inside of your tire after a flat. Blue Loctite is your mountain bikes best friend too.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I got a flat on my 5th tubeless ride after no tubed flats for 4 years. Interestingly, I put a tube in the tire to get back and the feel of the extra weight felt weird.

Last week, after 4 months, I heard a pulsing hiss and felt a spritzing on my leg as the tire sealed itself. I have a feeling that 27.5 Racing Ralphs are a bit woosie.

·
The Original Suspect
2,387 Posts
I've been thinking of going tubeless seeing how my wheels are tubeless ready just need to save a little for the new tires. I also ride in AZ Tucson to be exact.
It won't cost you much if you do some shopping online. I recently picked up UST (tubeless) versions of Kenda Slant Six and Nevegal from Jenson for less than $85 for the pair (26 in).

Over the years I have also used many other tires that weren't rated as UST or "tubeless ready" with very few problems as long as they are folding not wire bead. I will add that as far as I know every tire manufacturer will void the warranty of the tire if you run sealant in them and they are not specifically rated for it.

My point being that with a little research here, you can find set ups that work well for little $.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought new bike in January and had flats on both tires within first 10 miles (2 outings) of riding. Replaced tires and went tubeless on both and now, several months later - no flats but several cactus sticking out, etc.
I'm sold on tubeless - especially out in here desert with cactus thorns and sharp rocks, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a good point to make: tubeless does NOT equal flat-less. As you describe, a sidewall cut large enough that Stans (or other tubeless product) can't seal will leave you with a flat tire.
I always carry a spare 29 inch tube in my back on all rides just in case of a severe slash like the one described.
As far as basic puncture flats - I don't get any anymore. In my area, it is normal to get a puncture flat every couple miles of riding; meaning patching or replacing tubes pretty much every ride - unless tubeless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.