Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah i should go to the doc i suppose but before i do maybe mtbr may help?

i am 31 and ride about twice a week. when i ride i drink a fair amount of water (about 1.5 litres over 2 hr ride). as a result i sometimes wee about 4-5 times during a ride, a sign i am drinking enough? yet most evenings after rides and the next morning i feel reaLLY dehydrated.

any ideas/advice health experts?

if i drink more i will spend more time weeing than riding eh.

cheers

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
mmmm - Interesting to say the least.... How hot is it where you are riding?

Living the past few years in Barcelona, it is hot in summer, I used to mow through some 3 - 4 Litres in say 4 hours, and wouldnt piss for the rest of the day....

What is your post ride drink recovery regime? How much do you drink before the ride?

As mentioned, even when I have drunk near 4L of water for a ride, I would consume perhaps another 3 L for the rest of lets say an afternoon and evening.....

Am sure there are peeps on the boards with more experinece in this, but I really try hard to take in 1L per hour when it is around 30 deg C when biking.........

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in NZ so about 15 celcius at the moment. maybe a glass before and after the ride-if that. thought the fact that i am weeing should mean i am drinking more than enough.

bit of a nasty thread but hey

·
...a wiggle theres a way
214 Posts
you may also want to include some electrolytes (e.g. oranges/bananas) or gatorade / powerade in your post ride especially if your sweating a lot

joe

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's gonna be just as important to drink a lot before and after your ride in order to keep hydrated. And as wiggy said, replenishing your electrolytes will help a lot. I find bananas work well, and obviously sports drinks as well. Also, if I know I'm going to be doing an intense workout on a certain day, I'll start drinking a lot of water a few days prior. Yes you'll be peeing a lot, but it definitely helps come your rides.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hydrate 12-24 hours before you ride. DON'T drink anything 30 minutes prior to riding. Pee right before you hit the trail head, and then drink normally as you ride. Having a belly full of water when you "start" your ride and the water you keep feeding it you'll mostly just pee (not wee:rolleyes: ) out. You're body won't absorb nutrients and liquids as efficiently during exercise as you're body is reserving most of its energy to run your muscles and respiratory systems.

You will get dehydrated just drinking during your ride and not before, no matter how much you drink.

·
Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
530 Posts
If you stick your tongue out -- out as far as it will go but sort of relaxed -- is it flat in the middle, or puffy? (flat good, puffy bad) Do you normally have to get up and go in the middle of the night? If yes, then look at cutting down on protein (some people eat a lot more than they need) -- and fats -- will help a lot. These result in kidney deficiency which results in frequent urination. Taking Planetary Formulas Rehmannia Endurance (a kidney tonic -- you can take it every day of your life) will take care of it. Does amazing things for your stamina too. When deficiency of the kidneys is severe you start to see dark rings under the eyes...they start from the inside corner of the eye. You'll see this in kids who eat a lot of fast/deep fried food.

Make sure you're getting enough potassium and sodium after the ride, all evening. On days I exercise I take another dose of "Emergen-C" just before going to bed and I sleep realy well and wake up feeling great. My feeling of dehydration turned out to be a sodium/potassium issue. I was dehydrated, but not from a lack of water -- from a lack of sodium and potassium.

Hope it helps. :)

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
That happens to me every time I ride hard. Even after you've stopped riding, your metabolism is still ramped up. Make sure you keep drinking after you're done with the ride. I don't think people really need any fancy sports additives. Just real food and plain water is enough unless you're so tired you can't bear the thought of eating a meal.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
cannesdo said:
If you stick your tongue out -- out as far as it will go but sort of relaxed -- is it flat in the middle, or puffy? (flat good, puffy bad) Do you normally have to get up and go in the middle of the night? If yes, then look at cutting down on protein (some people eat a lot more than they need) -- and fats -- will help a lot. These result in kidney deficiency which results in frequent urination. Taking Planetary Formulas Rehmannia Endurance (a kidney tonic -- you can take it every day of your life) will take care of it. Does amazing things for your stamina too. When deficiency of the kidneys is severe you start to see dark rings under the eyes...they start from the inside corner of the eye. You'll see this in kids who eat a lot of fast/deep fried food.

Make sure you're getting enough potassium and sodium after the ride, all evening. On days I exercise I take another dose of "Emergen-C" just before going to bed and I sleep realy well and wake up feeling great. My feeling of dehydration turned out to be a sodium/potassium issue. I was dehydrated, but not from a lack of water -- from a lack of sodium and potassium.

Hope it helps. :)
good suggestions. i too would also suggest more potassium and sodium.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Something that no one mentioned yet, is that you will dehydrate faster than your body can absorb fluids.
You can drink enough to pee like crazy, because your kidneys will expel the excess water, but your cells can only rehydrate at a certain rate no matter how much in fluids you drink.
Thats why endurance racers are always dehydrated after a race, even though they have drinking and aid stations along the way and drink plenty of fluids.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Yeah the clear pee works for me as well. Used to have this annoying/demanding job that kept me from regular bathroom breaks. Hydrating was a real b#@ch and my urine was all sorts of funky colors. Liquid Skittles! Anywhoo, got serious about drinking water. Which required me to get serious about pee time. Much much better now that my pee looks like the water it's being aimed in.

It sounds like you don't hydrate enough post ride. If you're peeing anything other than water clear/faint yellow that's a sign. At first you will spend more time peeing. But that tapers off after a week or so. Drink more water and stick through the "housebreaking" period.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.