Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to my wife, I get a $100 to spend on the bike at the end of the month If I successfully quit smoking tomorrow. I am really just wanting some suggestions on what to get:) My bike is mostly stock and and simple, but I really wanna spend the money on something that gives it more performance

Its just an '06 Haro v3 with clip pedals, WTB Velociraptor tires, and X-7 shifters

Any suggestions? and dont flame me because I didnt search, I am just wanting up to date opinions:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Opinion? Sure, wait untill the end of the month. What, you think if you're quit for a day you're good to go?

hehehe

HAHAHHA!

You better hope that money is enough of a motivator to quit. For most - it's not.

BTW - what's you're wife buying with the rest of the cigarrette money?

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
if you're happy with the bike then change nothing. but perhaps you could determine if the ground rules permit you to spend the hundred on biking in general. if so explore things like water hydration packs, clothing, or club or IMBA membership, and magazine subscriptions.

it took me several or more times to quit back in the early 90s---much harder than quitting alcohol. i certainly would try to re-bargain----whatever you have been spending on smokes put away somewhere safe. if you are smoke free at the end of the year, you owe yourself an upgraded mountain bike vacation and some new biking toys. me --I'd go to d Philippines---and--alone :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
You're getting a bum deal ! Quitting smoking (permanently) is worth alot more than a hundred bucks !
Re-negotiate the terms !
Only kidding, quitting is it's own reward and money doesn't matter.
Buy whatever you feel you're missing most. Brake upgrade? New saddle ? :)

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
jasonparson said:
According to my wife, I get a $100 to spend on the bike at the end of the month If I successfully quit smoking tomorrow. I am really just wanting some suggestions on what to get:) My bike is mostly stock and and simple, but I really wanna spend the money on something that gives it more performance

Its just an '06 Haro v3 with clip pedals, WTB Velociraptor tires, and X-7 shifters

Any suggestions? and dont flame me because I didnt search, I am just wanting up to date opinions:thumbsup:
each time i walk into a lbs, i am disappointed with how little $100 can buy.

If you have the chance, maybe you could put the money towards entering a few races, so you can test out your newly enhanced lung capacity.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How about new apparel? A new pair of shorts and a helmet or gloves would be good this time of year...If you cant do it on your own, try taking Chantix- a prescription smoking aid. It worked really well for my wife.

·
Registered
517 Posts
sonicsuby said:

How nice of your wife to let you spend your money on yourself if you quit killing yourself
lol, nice. I won't go into why your wife is giving you an allowance. I quit smoking a year ago and i never looked back. The thing is, if you don't WANT to quit, don't bother even trying. You won't quit if you feel like to HAVE to. Trust me. It took me 2 years to finally WANT it, and it was easy after that. I can thank mtbing for that. I wanted all the lung power I could get to enjoy my fav trails. Anyways, for 100 bucks, I'd go with some apparel. If you really want something for you bike, maybe some tires/drive train stuff?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Okay Jason, you posted "one day ago" according to the MTBR calendar. How have you done so far? (crosses fingers) I'm rooting for ya'! (smoker, too) :thumbsup:

Mjsca07 speaks the truth. Want, not need. :yesnod:

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
Seriously... $100? you prolly spend about $20 or more a week alone in cigs... multiply that each week and just think of all the cash you've burned. Literally. I think the reward should be a MTB jar filled with cash you would have spent on cigs instead of the $100. You'll have more than enough to buy a whole new bike instead.

Back on subject though. My mom quit when I went to college. She literally said I'm done smoking today and never smoked another. I don't know how she did it but she did. Now she detests the damn things and can smell if on someone 100feet away. My father quit but took up chewing every now and then instead. Which is worse... hurting yourself and others.. or just yourself.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Your bike sounds like it's in pretty good shape. You could try a new pair of tires. If you're still using bottles, you could try a Camelbak. Do you have tools? Bike tools can be a big money saver in the long run.

·
Registered
50 Posts
AndrewTO said:
BTW - what's you're wife buying with the rest of the cigarrette money?
thats what I was thinking!!!

doesn't sound like a 'bonus' unless you are keeping that cig money AND getting an extra 100

:thumbsup:

regardles of any bonus. quit anyway and know you'll be better off for it.

I smoked about 15 years and quit many times, this last 'quit' has lasted since 97 so I'm pretty much over the hump now

good luck !

·
Registered
193 Posts
mjsca07 said:
The thing is, if you don't WANT to quit, don't bother even trying.
This is relative. I used to love smoking. I really enjoyed it. From this aspect I didn't want to lose it. At the same time I wanted to be free of it for health reasons.
I think most smokers must be faced with this dilemma.
So I got myself psyched up to the point I would not accept to fail (I failed couple of times before ) and I managed. I'm now very pleased I am a non smoker and consider myself very lucky to have it out of my life and my lungs, but have no doubts that I would find it equally enjoyable if I took it up again. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.