Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I found light 165 mm cranks in stock!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rose3fa 
#1 ·
I've been looking for lightweight XC 165 mm boost cranks for a few months now. I called CO Cyclist in April and they said they were getting some SRAM X01s in stock at the end of the month and I could preorder. It got pushed to June, then July, then April 2022! (Obviously this is part of the supply problem and isn't meant to say anything negative about CO Cyclist).

Here's what I made work:
Total: $447 (compared to normal XX1 at $515)
Weight: 433 g (compared to normal 175 mm XX1 422 g claimed weight and 442 g measured by Competitive Cyclist)

Notes/Caveats:
  • The XX1 Quarq arms have an 8-bolt pattern designed for their power meter, which is $600. The power meter acts like a spider with a 4-bolt pattern. So far the only other spider I've found that's remotely compatible is this one made by SRAM but designed for their road cranks, so it has a 107 mm BCD which I couldn't find a compatible 34 tooth chainring for. (I think the offset is wrong too).
  • The only chainring I could find that work w/o the power meter was from Alugear, a Polish company. I couldn't find anything about the company online, so I took a gamble and ordered the chainring and crank arms. Hopefully some other companies will come will come up with a spider or compatible chainrings so we're not reliant on only one!
  • I ordered everything on a Saturday and received the cranks on Tuesday and the chainring on Friday.
  • It all went together very easily.
I hope this helps someone else who's been struggling to find light short XC cranks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Not nearly as light or high-end as what you got, but I just bought a set of 165mm race face aluminum 24mm (steel) spindle cranks for a bike I'm putting together for my wife. Universal cycles has quite a few still. Maybe when we're on the other side of this, I'll replace them with some xtr's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.