Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Looking at a fat tire bike.
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up this bike. Needs some work. Brake hydraulics need bled/fluid? Needs a rear shock replacement or rebuilt.
Seller said it was used to race downhill.
My plans for it are mainly flat trails and singletrack. Overkill but...it is what it is.

It's a GT STS. Not sure of year, late 90's?
Any and all information would be appreciated.

I think I did well for the $100 investment.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Land vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Bicycle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Sneaker man
3,802 Posts
looks like 1997, still has the silver aluminium bits, before they switched out the headtubemto be totally ...ser carbon? or was it it just ano black, can't remember, I think they made the headtube from carbon cause of all the failures.

·
Sneaker man
3,802 Posts
sts's are thermoplastic (which is carbon fibre but using a resin that can be reheated, as opposed to normal carbon which uses a thermoset resin that cant be reheated). Then mounting points (headtube, bottom bracket, seat cluster) are aluminium.
After a bazillion of them failed they changed the aluminium parts.

The origianl LTS (and LTS thermo) had a Titanium linkage in it, but that was replaced by aluminium on the later LST and on all STS.
So no titanium on this one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as a temporary stop gap, has anyone ever replaced the rear shock with a strut/block to convert rear to rigid?

I have a few emails out for a replacement rear shock. Still looking for a link to disassemble the shock.

Seems an aluminum block with holes for eyes and a hole through for the trunnion bolt would work. Is this faulty thinking?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
as a temporary stop gap, has anyone ever replaced the rear shock with a strut/block to convert rear to rigid?

I have a few emails out for a replacement rear shock. Still looking for a link to disassemble the shock.

Seems an aluminum block with holes for eyes and a hole through for the trunnion bolt would work. Is this faulty thinking?
I think it might very quickly destroy the bike. Impact loads can be many, many times that of any static load. The whole idea of a shock is to stretch out the amount of time a structure has to deal with said impact load, hence reducing the transmitted force. To put in a metal block as a shock placeholder forces the mechanism to endure the impact loads it was never designed to.

·
taste death, live life.
279 Posts

Have you contacted Risse Racing for a possible rebuild or even one of their shocks?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
I think it might very quickly destroy the bike. Impact loads can be many, many times that of any static load. The whole idea of a shock is to stretch out the amount of time a structure has to deal with said impact load, hence reducing the transmitted force. To put in a metal block as a shock placeholder forces the mechanism to endure the impact loads it was never designed to.
Yeah, you risk ovalizing mounting holes and pivot/bearing seats. That's real bad.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just had a look at the shock. It is missing the spring retaining collar. Need to get one to find out if the shock is actually working.
Hopefully, I can salvage the damping adjuster knob. I know it looks bent.

🙏 that it works. This is a Rockshox Super Deluxe, it is only coil over, oil-damped? Correct? no air/gas charge?

Couldn't get the shock off tonight. Of course, I can't find my metric hex keys. It also has preta valve tubes and I gave my presta adapter away when I sold my fixie.

Gas Automotive lighting Coil spring Wood Auto part

Red Gas Cosmetics Magenta Auto part
Automotive tire Cosmetics Hat Automotive wheel system Audio equipment

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
GRRR.....trying to get one of the trunnion bolts out and the allen hex is rounding out. Thing is TIGHT.
Dropped the lower mount and removed the spring. Found the dampening knob screw bent but it still unscrewed.

Bicycle handlebar Light Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Wood Gas Bumper Tints and shades Auto part

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.