Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've ridden a few 29ers in the past but now I'm thinking of buying my first one. I just bought a new Yeti 26 bike and the shop a few miles from my house has niner air 9 and yeti big top frames on closeout and I'm thinking about grabbing one for a winter build project. For the money I saved on my asr 5 bike its like getting a 29er frame for free. Yes I know I have a problem but my old mtb is beat up.

So is the yeti bigtop with the carbon rear as good as yeti says it is? Its more than the niner but the scandium air 9 seems kinda whimpy in comparison.

Shameless plug for my new favorite LBS: bicycleoutfittersindy.com
If anyone looking for a closeout bike these guys are right down the road from me and I'll vouch for them. The employees know mountain bikes too, which is sort of rare around here.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
If you're going to race, go Niner. If you want to trail ride and get nutty once in a while, get the BT. The BT is also race capable but has more relaxed, modern geometry. I have one and love it. I've never ridden an Air9 but I'm not crazy about steep head angles and long chainstays. The BT is just sweet in every regard;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
What sold me on the big top is features, tapered head tube, carbon stays, interchangeable drop outs, direct mount fd and tab to run hammerschnidt.

No other frame is so versatile, I can go from my single speed setup to geared 1x in 15 minutes. It has full cable runs, so throw on pre setup shifter and rear der, zip tie cable to frame, throw on cassette, swap drop outs and off I go.

Also if you ever plan to single speed the drop design on the yeti is hands down superior to any ebb out there. No slipping, no greasing, no creaking!

·
Registered
93 Posts
No brainer. Big Top all the way. I've had both and there's really no comparison. Shorter chainstays & more relaxed geometry make it a better climber and WAY better descender. The carbon stays damp a ton of the trail chatter and help make it a superb marathon and stage race bike.

I've had a load of 29ers and the BT is the best by far.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,524 Posts
Big decision. I think all the above are very good points.

I own a NINER SIR9 and they have awesome customer support. 2 issues have come up, neither really their fault, and they stood by their product. I have a carbon GT Marathon Pro 26 inch and will NEVER buy another carbon frame. I have dents from crashing that go all the way through the carbon. Granted, I don't ride 29er half as aggressively(5 foot 6). My old 2001 Santa Cruz Superlight (aluminum) had some golf ball size dents and I never worried about it. The GT rides great and is 26 lbs, but I would trade 2 pounds to magically change it to metal. I do like carbon parts though.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Not a fan of AL HT's or carbon. However, the BT is rather interesting. You will likely get a slightly smoother ride the BT's stays. You can also adjust the BT's CS length and wheelbase.

Niner is a great company, which make great products. However, it's a freakin Yeti. With a nice range of CS ajustment. Do a search on here. Theres a couple of BT's floating around that are down right sexy.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
I've owned eight 29ers and Niner (IMO) had the worst geometry (if you have disprortionately short legs and are speed/race focused, you may have better luck). I haven't ridden the Yeti, but everything about it looks awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.