Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of reassembling my Motolite, I fitted new bearings. The thing is I've just realised that I forgot to put the alloy sleeve (tube thing) that sits between the two pairs of bearings in the main pivot back in.

Does anyone know what purpose this bit serves and whether it will damage anything if I ride the bike without it? I don't want to go through removing the cranks and drifting/replacing the bearings unless I have to, but if it means potential damage or danger of failure then I will do it.

Thanks

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've never had the main pivot of my MotoLite apart so I can't really say either way. I suspect the ML has the same sleeve since the instructions for the RacerX also apply to the ML. My initial thought is that if Titus put the sleeve in there it must server some purpose. Best to put it back in when you rebuild... Just my 2¢.

cheers,
simp

edit: just realized that you're talking about a ML so disregard my 2nd sentence above...

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I'm not certain... maybe HB or others may shed some light, but isn't that sleeve sandwiched between the bearings to give proper spacing between them and also, not moving them when you tighten the main pivot bolt?

However I agree with Simp... simply put it back in.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Warp said:
I'm not certain... maybe HB or others may shed some light, but isn't that sleeve sandwiched between the bearings to give proper spacing between them and also, not moving them when you tighten the main pivot bolt?

However I agree with Simp... simply put it back in.
I suspect you're right as usual Warp. I was thinking it worked as some sort of spacer as well.

later,
simp

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the bearings actually sit inside some recesses in the frame, so they can't actually move. But I suppose that it might help when the main bolt has been torqued up.

The other reason for it, might be to stop damage to the frame when you drift the bearings out, since the punch would be through the middle of this alloy cylinder.

Edit: I wish it was simple to just put it back in, but it means stripping it all down and punching the (new) old bearings out. Not a nice job. Boy was I cursing!

·
Chilling out
6,038 Posts
The bearing outer race can't move, but the inner sleeve sure can.

In extreme situ I guess you could force the bearing to disasm.

In the case of the bb pivot I'm hard pressed to think how this could happen.

That said, I'll never ride my bike w/o it properly assembled. I'm sure it will at LEAST cause the bearings to wear out early.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.