Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday afternoon I was dropped at the road to ER. It's about a mile and three switchbacks to the pit. I stashed a tent, sleeping bag, tarp and hobo stove in five gallon buckets up threre last trip.

I carried about three gallons of water, food, warm clothes and two ridgerest pads to lay on. I bought a little brush saw at Jerry's for $20 to clear the small stuff off the old road. The saw has two rows of teeth and cuts fast on the backstroke. It worked great on six inch logs and did little branches with one stroke.

I spent the night alone and really had a nice time. The clouds were low, about 2000 feet, it blocked the tops of the nearby mountains. I sat on the edge of the cliff watching travelers return and trains roll by. A misty rain fell.

I ate warmed left overs and took a gallon of hot water to bed with me to keep me cozy in my cheap sleeping bag. The tent had a broken zipper, I covered the door with my poncho to keep the breeze out while I slept. The tarp streched over head gave me a dry place to sit by my hobo stove.

The road was a lot better to ride down after I cut a path through the blowdowns, I piled up wood in front and behind logs so I could ride over some of the big trees. I threw off lots of greesy sticks and branches all over the old road. It's fixed now.

I plan on camping up there a lot in the future, it's hard to find a more secluded place so close to Eugene.

Pictures......

The first locked gate at the bottom, it's real steep here

The second locked gate, switch back #1

Two gallons of water drapped over my top tube in a kitchen trash bag, no racks

Big rock that almost made the hiway, switchback #2, this is where I started clearing trail

Dusk from ER, Lookout Point lake. The million dollar view.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More from ER

Watching night fall from ER

Trains roll by every half hour, the cliff behind me telegraghs all the sound into the pit

Park like setting, I love the dwarf madrones and nice bolders to camp against.

ER early tuesday morning

My camp, visible just left of this cool little madrone

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts