Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took it out to Pueblo Res south of co. springs today for its first time on dirt, still have a few tweaks to it still to come but a philcentric BB and 32x19 gearing seems to work awesome.... haven't hit the scale with it yet but is feeling pretty light.... more pics and whatnot to come

Part list so far:
drive-train
philcentric BB with x9 crank with a old gxp triple spider with granny tabs cut off and a raceface 32 SS ring, tomi cog (19) that bolts to the disk side of the hub, snycros heavy flat pedals

wheels, currently borealis hubs front and rear laced to marge lights... brass nipps straight gauge spoke up front DB out back due to what i had around nate 120tpi , tubes, surly strips...

cockpit, enve 740mm flat bar, ergon grips, magura mt8 brake, rotor 70mm stem

ergon saddle and truvatvi t40 post IMG_6137.JPG

·
will rant for food
3,987 Posts
You flipped the rear wheel - in tandem with a VeloSolo cog? That right?

Just want to be sure I'm not missing out on some product that's relevant to my interests...

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You flipped the rear wheel - in tandem with a VeloSolo cog? That right?

Just want to be sure I'm not missing out on some product that's relevant to my interests...
In this case a tomicog but yup flipped hub around and using the cog bolted to disk side

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you like that ratio for a fat fixed? Is it too low for a decent length commute? I'm strongly considering a fixed pugsley and just looking for ratio input. thanks!

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its a bit spinny but not too bad only about a 4 mile commute currently though.... and she wighs in at 25lbs even with heavy pedals, tubes, chain ect.... plenty more grams to be shed

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have some X9 fat bike cranks and would like to do this to a mukluk. What chain did you use? guess I need to get a ring that will work with that tommicog too? thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
It looks great in the air, but how does it handle on the ground? :cool: :thumbsup:

*Edit*

While I'm thinking about it, this is somewhat off topic, but I'll ask anyways. I've been thinking about using a tomicog or some variation thereof as a back-up on my 29er. On my Pugs, if a freehub eats it, I can switch the front wheel with the back and go on SS style. Would one of these work on a 29er, say, in an emergency, take the back wheel off, remove the brake rotor, install cog, flip wheel around, reinstall and roll on as a fixie? Would there be any issue using the derailleur as a chain tensioner? Someone mentioned this would break a derailleur, but I don't see how. Any thoughts on this, because that sure would be a really lightweight way to get a whole lot of redundancy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts