Here are some pics of my new bike.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I removed the shifter crap. Got a pink single speed chain. Replaced the stock pedals with Shimano DX's and swapped the big earl tires for some Holy Rollers.
My wife is great! :thumbsup:

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
have fun with that, and yeah, nice wife. ;) you seem to be double timing it with Gary Fisher, you got the whole stable bro, what's up with that? haha.

Looks like a fun ride man, but you might want to ditch the singleator for a real chain tensioner that isn't spring loaded, but static with the der. hanger. just a tip.

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I should have ponied up the money initially and got a soulcraft tensioner. Unless you would recomend another tensioner? I love GF bikes! But I really love my LBS, they're some great guys. They have helped me immensley. I don't think you'll ever catch me on a GF XC FS or all mountain FS bike though.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
gop427 said:
I should have ponied up the money initially and got a soulcraft tensioner. Unless you would recomend another tensioner? I love GF bikes! But I really love my LBS, they're some great guys. They have helped me immensley. I don't think you'll ever catch me on a GF XC or all mountain bike though.
yeah, genesis geometry is not my thing....

but, as for chain tensioners, I would highly recommend the Rennen Rollenlager. It is fairly pricey, but they are solid and the standard others are measured by (I actually have a used one for sale), or a DMR STS or Gusset are nice alternatives too and a little bit cheaper.

and gotta mention, it's always great to support your lbs! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Nice lookin bike, I dig the frame color. I have last years GED sitting around some where among my other bikes.

Dont worry about the tensioner. The Surly is one of best tensioners that is out there. I have been using a surly tensioner for over a year and havent had one issue with it. Its taken some big hits from failed sidehops and still goes strong.

People tend not to like them because they dont know how to set the proper tension. But like anything, some are going to like it and others wont.

Ditch the Deore hubs with Ryno Light rims. I'd make that your 1st upgrade.

Check out V!Z bikes for their rims. They are trials company, but trials rims are hands down the meanest rims I have ever owned. I use trial rims on all of my bikes. Typical rims just dont hang with what I can dish out.

V!Z Bikes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tires are cool!!

Man, if you like those tires you should check out the Hookworms. They are rock solid tires. I haven't had as many pinch flats as I had with the Kenda's. Even though they're, like, two ounces heavier per tire. Check 'em out when your Kenda's wear out.

PEACE.

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tires are holy rollers(maxxis). I decided against the hookworms because I want to ride some dirt occasionaly. If the bike was ONLY ridden street I would have put the hookworms on though, they're awesome. Just feel that the holy rollers are more versatile.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
gop427 said:
The tires are holy rollers(maxxis). I decided against the hookworms because I want to ride some dirt occasionaly. If the bike was ONLY ridden street I would have put the hookworms on though, they're awesome. Just feel that the holy rollers are more versatile.
Hookworms are heavy biatches, weighing in at just over 3lbs in 26'' version. Your holly roller is nearly a pound less. Great choice.

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I know. Any weight I lost from going SS would have been put right back on the bike with those hookworms. That is ridiculous that they weigh 1250 grams compared to 890 for the holy rollers. Bitterrider, my SS conv. consists of a Gusset brand cog and spacers, 20 bucks from jenson, and a Surley Singulator 40 bucks jenson. The chain was 8 bucks. I should have purchased the soulcraft, but that was 80 bucks. Hindsight being 20/20 I would buy the soulcraft, not having probs with the surley, but it is only 2 weeks old so who knows how it will do with me, and I don't like that it is springloaded. It will be fine though, so what ever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.