Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
rubber side down
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Blur a week ago, but haven't had any time to get on the trail. It's my first full suspension bike. I've monkeyed with the 5th element setup, but don't know exactly how it should feel. I weigh 210, and set the shock at 85 psi (IFP), and ~120 psi for the main pressure. Is the thing supposed to bob when I pedal? Sag is about 12mm. I just don't know how the thing is supposed to feel. Anybody ever go through this? Also, I'm having issues with the SRAM setup. it shifts just fine until the 7-8-9 cogs (closest to wheel). it tends to skip. I don't know if the SRAM stuff is a keeper or not.

Can't wait to get it on the trail!

R

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
If you bought it from a SC dealer, get them to help you with set up.

As for the skipping derailleur, you need to adjust the rear der. and/or front shifter. Again, if you don't know how to adjust this, take it back to your dealer. On a new bike it should shift perfectly.

I run SRAM on my Blur and Hummer, and like it a lot more than the Shimano on my Bullit. In fact the Hummer had old XTR on it when I bought it and replaced it with old SRAM from my parts bin.

·
Registered
723 Posts
5th Element....

I also weigh 210 lbs...my Blur came with a 5th Element. I messed with it for weeks and could never get it right...you should never put more than 50psi (I believe that is it) in the small chamber according to Progressive. the best advise I got was to drop the small chamber down to zero, then adjust the main chamber to get between 12 and 15mm sag when sitting gently on the bike. Once you get this, then adjust small chamber up to 50psi depending on firmness you want. I did this for weeks and never got the shock from feeling sluggish...I also had to put some outrageously high pressure in mine to get the 12-15mm sag. I finally said the heck with it and sold it on ebay for more than it cost to upgrade and got a non propedal fox....if it was today, I would change it to a Fox RP3 as the blur does not need stable platform shocks...

·
Luddite technophile
302 Posts
russman said:
I just got my Blur a week ago, but haven't had any time to get on the trail. It's my first full suspension bike. I've monkeyed with the 5th element setup, but don't know exactly how it should feel. I weigh 210, and set the shock at 85 psi (IFP), and ~120 psi for the main pressure. Is the thing supposed to bob when I pedal? Sag is about 12mm. I just don't know how the thing is supposed to feel. Anybody ever go through this? Also, I'm having issues with the SRAM setup. it shifts just fine until the 7-8-9 cogs (closest to wheel). it tends to skip. I don't know if the SRAM stuff is a keeper or not.

Can't wait to get it on the trail!

R
I weigh 195 - I run 130/110, so I'd say you're a bit on the low side. I would suggest 135/110-115. I also run the damping all the way out (that is, the least possible damping). The bike feels great this way. Do this, ride it for a while and see how it feels. Best of luck - the bike is amazing.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
MCF said:
I also weigh 210 lbs...my Blur came with a 5th Element. I messed with it for weeks and could never get it right...you should never put more than 50psi (I believe that is it) in the small chamber according to Progressive. the best advise I got was to drop the small chamber down to zero, then adjust the main chamber to get between 12 and 15mm sag when sitting gently on the bike. Once you get this, then adjust small chamber up to 50psi depending on firmness you want. I did this for weeks and never got the shock from feeling sluggish...I also had to put some outrageously high pressure in mine to get the 12-15mm sag. I finally said the heck with it and sold it on ebay for more than it cost to upgrade and got a non propedal fox....if it was today, I would change it to a Fox RP3 as the blur does not need stable platform shocks...
This is exactly opposite of what is recommended by Progressive and might be why you had some trouble. You are supposed to set the small chamber first and 50 psi is minimum suggested value and certainly should be higher for a 200+lb rider. It sounds like you might have had a defective shock.

·
crash test dummy
545 Posts
A second bit of info...

MCF said:
The Fox RP3 is a stable platform shock. You can minimize the platform, but you could do that on a 5th element too, simply by keeping the IFP pressure at a minimum.

I too have a Blur with a 5th element, and it is also my first fully suspended bike. It took 10 or 12 rides for me to just get a feel for what the shock was doing. At first I thought I had way too much sag, and was using up a dangerous amount of available travel. But soon I discovered the shock just never bottoms, and the more sag I could ride with comfortably, the better the bike felt.

The Blur should NOT bob. Even without a platform shock. Actually, I think the Blur works better without a platform shock, which is why I keep my 5th element pressure as low as possible (60psi in my case). A heavy pedal platform seems to "confuse" the suspension, by attempting to correct for pedaling oscillations VPP has already dealt with. This can make for an overly stiff feel in the rear suspension, which I fixed just by lowering the IFP pressure.

<edit> FYI I weigh 180 lbs. + 10 lbs. gear, and my pressures are 60 lbs. IFP, 135 lbs. main chamber. Works great, about 15mm sag.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
simian23 said:
The Fox RP3 is a stable platform shock. You can minimize the platform, but you could do that on a 5th element too, simply by keeping the IFP pressure at a minimum.

I too have a Blur with a 5th element, and it is also my first fully suspended bike. It took 10 or 12 rides for me to just get a feel for what the shock was doing. At first I thought I had way too much sag, and was using up a dangerous amount of available travel. But soon I discovered the shock just never bottoms, and the more sag I could ride with comfortably, the better the bike felt.

The Blur should NOT bob. Even without a platform shock. Actually, I think the Blur works better without a platform shock, which is why I keep my 5th element pressure as low as possible (60psi in my case). A heavy pedal platform seems to "confuse" the suspension, by attempting to correct for pedaling oscillations VPP has already dealt with. This can make for an overly stiff feel in the rear suspension, which I fixed just by lowering the IFP pressure.

<edit> FYI I weigh 180 lbs. + 10 lbs. gear, and my pressures are 60 lbs. IFP, 135 lbs. main chamber. Works great, about 15mm sag.
Same here ... I weigh 190 plus gear and I run about 65 in IFP and 125 in Main and it works great for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
in the saddle it should have no/imperceptible bob even uphill (although if you look down you will see rear shock flexing). Out of the saddle will bob like a pogo-stick if you're going for it. sorry it's a FS bike.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Dude, your crazy. My Blur has never bobbed like a pogo stick, ever, and I doubt anyone else would make that claim. From what I've read in all the mags, the Blur bobs less the harder you go at it, and will bob slightly if you sit and spin up a hill, but that was with a non platform shock. With the 5th, that should be filtered out. My Superlight never even bobbed like a pogo stick.

Now if you are talking about fork bob, that's another story...

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I got a good chuckle outta that one too Bmadau. :p
- Helllllloooo outta left-field.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Don't all modern high end FS MTBs, single pivots included, pedal pretty well these days anyway? Some better than others, but the days of the pogo stick are pretty much behind us, aren't they? Mostly what I hear in reviews about this bike or that is like braking performace, pedal feedback, and such. Making a suspension system that pedals well isn't too much of a mystery anymore, imo, but making one that pedals well, brakes well, and doesn't make you knee yourself in the chin when pedalling and hitting a bump at the same time is the new art.

·
Registered
125 Posts
bmadau said:
Dude, your crazy. My Blur has never bobbed like a pogo stick, ever, and I doubt anyone else would make that claim.
Now if you are talking about fork bob, that's another story...
Disagree 100%, but perhaps we aren't talking about the same thing. Take your blur (or any single pivot esp.), take a bumpy rocky trail that has a pretty good incline. Stand up out of the seat and ****ing go for it. Pogo city.

I have never driven a FS bike (that wasn't locked out) that didn't bob like hell when 'honking' on it out of the saddle. Obviously 'in-the-saddle' performance is dramatically improved and even single pivot designs have imperceptible bob with the properly adjusted high-end shocks we have now.

Perhaps we aren't talking about the same thing. Perhaps you are talking about in-the-saddle performance and I totally agree. Or you've managed to lock out your rear shock if you're talking about out-of-the-saddle stuff. And yeah, the front fork is going to bob too making it even more hilarious.

Only been riding FS bikes a few years but basically it requires you to stay in the saddle uphill unless you want to pogo your way up :p

·
Registered
723 Posts
No Pogo!!!

I have had my Blur for over a year and weight 210 lbs.... I don't even have a 5th Element or the RP3 - old Fox Float AVA R without Propedal and I have NEVER had Pogo...even standing and hammering as hard as I can up rooty, rutty climbs....the VPP's main purpose is to kill rear end movement when you stand and pedal hard...the harder you pedal the more chain tension resulting in less and less rear end movement...maybe I am wrong and please, someone correct me if I am.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
MCF said:
I have had my Blur for over a year and weight 210 lbs.... I don't even have a 5th Element or the RP3 - old Fox Float AVA R without Propedal and I have NEVER had Pogo...even standing and hammering as hard as I can up rooty, rutty climbs....the VPP's main purpose is to kill rear end movement when you stand and pedal hard...the harder you pedal the more chain tension resulting in less and less rear end movement...maybe I am wrong and please, someone correct me if I am.....
alright it's probably just me then. :p

I've demo'd a ton of bikes and I can get them to pogo out-of-the-saddle across the board for a single pivot. Maybe our definition of "pogo" needs looking into or you guys have some seriously stiff settings. For instance, if I bunny-hop the bike I get about the same 1" rear compression and 2" front compression just to get the bike maybe half a foot of the ground (the downstroke of the hop). So I could see a bike that doesn't have any bob during bunny-hopping also not pogo;ing when pedalled up hill. But if it bobs when you bunnyhop I'd have to say it is going to pogo uphill.

maybe it's a style thing too. I do a non-clipped 'push-push' abrupt style and the suspension moves easily an inch in the back and probably 2 in the front. That's a pogo to me. In other words, terrain, etc. forces non-constant tension on the chain. On a real aggressive incline standing out of the saddle produces some pretty annoying pogo;ing in that environment and IMHO the only solution is a locked-out rear in that environment or a non-single pivot rear. Abrupt irregular high-effort pedaling = pogo IMHO on any single pivot FS I have ever ridden.

·
Registered
723 Posts
now i can....

get the Fox Talas to Pogo like crazy in the front when cranking up hills...but I do use the same method it sounds like you do to bunnyhop..compress rear and front and hop over things...the Blur's rear suspension is fully active unless you are really cranking hard on it...as for my settings, I have 15mm sag in the rear and about 20 mm sag in the front (with about 4.25" travel in the front) so I would say that I have it set up pretty soft.....

·
Registered
726 Posts
Have you actually ridden a Blur?

Joe_T said:
I've demo'd a ton of bikes and I can get them to pogo out-of-the-saddle across the board for a single pivot.
Have you actually ridden a Blur? It's not clear from your comments if you have. The Blur is designed specifically to prevent pogo in the situation you describe, so it's not like any other bike in this regard.

Joe_T said:
the only solution is a locked-out rear in that environment or a non-single pivot rear. Abrupt irregular high-effort pedaling = pogo IMHO on any single pivot FS I have ever ridden
You also keep comparing the Blur to a single pivot. The Blur isn't a single pivot, it's a 4-bar, so I find your single pivot comparisoins to be a bit confusing.

Joe_T said:
But if it bobs when you bunnyhop I'd have to say it is going to pogo uphill.
Absolutely not true. When you bunnyhop, you have your weight distributed evenly on both pedals, so chain tension is zero. The Blur is torque sensitive in a region of travel around sag such that chain tension creates an upward force at the bottom of the bb to counter the downward force from pedaling. So, pedaling and bunny hopping are completely different situations.

I haven't ridden the Blur, so I can't comment either way. However, I am planning on buying one soley because it is supposed to prevent pogo in just the situation you describe. However, I find you comments interesting, because it if it doesn't prevent pogo, then I'm not interested at all. I have read every review I could get my hands on and your statements contradict pretty much all of them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
my bad I thought the Blur was single-pivot.

There's a shop just around the corner from me here with Blurs and they let me demo a Blur in the parking lot. *possibly* my weight is a factor (200) on how they typically configure the bikes... you know they set them up for what 140#'ers or so?

Anyways I took it through their little circuit and hopped over ever curb in sight, and yeah, it pogos like my bullit especially if I hop really high (say 18" off the pavement). I did notice it seemed like a great bike though! I'll talk to the guy at the shop and see if the weight thing was the prob. or what.

I certainly wasn't doing any 'precision' hopping, aka I'd ride a wheelie, then hop, or pull the back wheel up, then hop off the front, etc. Basically I just tried to hop it from every conceivable angle and the bottom line was the rear suspension was bouncing all over tha place.

I did the 'cranking on it' style of pedalling out of the saddle and it was bobbing too.

Conceivably a poorly adjusted rear shock. Thats great news if the Blur rides like a hardtail. In that case I want one too :D

·
here today
5,926 Posts
Joe_T said:

There's a shop just around the corner from me here with Blurs and they let me demo a Blur in the parking lot. *possibly* my weight is a factor (200) on how they typically configure the bikes... you know they set them up for what 140#'ers or so?

Anyways I took it through their little circuit and hopped over ever curb in sight, and yeah, it pogos like my bullit especially if I hop really high (say 18" off the pavement). I did notice it seemed like a great bike though! I'll talk to the guy at the shop and see if the weight thing was the prob. or what.

I certainly wasn't doing any 'precision' hopping, aka I'd ride a wheelie, then hop, or pull the back wheel up, then hop off the front, etc. Basically I just tried to hop it from every conceivable angle and the bottom line was the rear suspension was bouncing all over tha place.

I did the 'cranking on it' style of pedalling out of the saddle and it was bobbing too.

Conceivably a poorly adjusted rear shock. Thats great news if the Blur rides like a hardtail. In that case I want one too :D
My Blur does not pogo except when shock is poorly set-up - but it certainly does not ride like a HT
:D :D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Joe_T said:

A FS bike will never ride like a hardtail. Thats kinda the point of rear suspension.....
Any FS bike will bob if you stand and just honk on the pedals. VPP bikes like the Blur do a great job of cancelling out pedal induced suspension movement, but can't do anything about someone wildly moving their weight up and down as they pedal....
I own a 5.5, similar to the Blur, and am amazed with how well it pedals. Little or no suspension movement while seated, even at the lowest platform setting on the shock. Get going with some speed on the downs, and the rear sucks up big hits, and erases hard edged braking bumps.
As for standing efforts, if you just throw your weight up and down on the pedals, any FS bike will bob. If you counteract your pedalling torque at the handlebars and maintain a fairly smooth cadence, a VPP bike like the Blur will keep its cool and not waste your energy in suspension movement as you pedal.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Honestly Joe_T, your expectations of an FS are somewhat unrealistic. How can you not have some bob during bunny hopping on an FS? That just does not seem right.

Looking at it a different way, why would you want your shock locked during a rough, steep climb? If it is locked it will bounce and won't hook up as an FS with a well tuned rebound would. Also, during such climbs (on rough stuff), the efficient thing is to remain in the saddle and spin like crazy. Pulling up on the pedal is critical. Standing out of the saddle is best left for relatively "smooth" climbs where there are no rocks and roots.

Bottom line, no FS will ever behave like an HT. Maybe if the the shock is processor controlled (I can see that happening eventually) it would be easy differentiate between a pedal force and ground impacts. Otherwise, the shock does 90% of the work, but the rider must be cooperating in 10% of the cases. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.