Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Talentless dirt-roadie
869 Posts
I have gx on my current mtb and am very happy with it. really no complaints at all. seems like a price/quality sweet spot compared to the higher level component groups
After two dead eagle GX rear derailleurs, in rapid succession, I lost faith. Glad others are having a better experience.

·
monster member
1,102 Posts
A few years ago I was shopping and I ended up with a Giant Trance Advanced 29'er. It has 130mm F / 115mm Rear suspension, so not too much suspension but I feel it's enough for a 29'er since the bigger wheel smooths things out anyway. The bike comes with beefy tires to handle sharp rocks etc.

Before buying that, I was seriously considering an Intense 27.5 bike that looked great to me, but I had no dealers around me and wasn't going to spend $4k on something I couldn't test ride. I never would've thought to look at Costco! I'd say ride it around their parking lot a little. Maybe jump it off their loading dock. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
A few years ago I was shopping and I ended up with a Giant Trance Advanced 29'er. It has 130mm F / 115mm Rear suspension, so not too much suspension but I feel it's enough for a 29'er since the bigger wheel smooths things out anyway. The bike comes with beefy tires to handle sharp rocks etc.

Before buying that, I was seriously considering an Intense 27.5 bike that looked great to me, but I had no dealers around me and wasn't going to spend $4k on something I couldn't test ride. I never would've thought to look at Costco! I'd say ride it around their parking lot a little. Maybe jump it off their loading dock. :)
Yep I test rode a Giant Trance last year. It was definitely one of the more compelling mtbs I had ridden and it was on my top 3 list.

I didn't think that it looked all that great tho which is probably the main reason why I didn't buy it. A lot of mtb-ers probably don't care about appearance but that's part of what I look for when I'm going to buy an mtb for several thousand dollars that I'll have for 5+ years.

Same thing with Ibis Ripley. Rode well but I wasn't a fan of it's appearance. It's a compelling mtb tho with no shortage of fanboys of course. But for me to pull the trigger on an mtb purchase, the mtb has to look compelling as well

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Actually
i am a little surprised
in my world a super deal on CF FS at this price level should have
advanced suspension design (Horst or DW)
top level fork (pike for example)
GX or XT
name brand wheels
top of line tires
etc

but With the shortage and supply chain issues - the value equation is changing so quickly; it’s hard to keep up
In a full supply world a bike like above can be close to $3000 - with the excessive ocean and component prices today - has to be $500 or more higher

years from now; maybe the super competitive pricing can return to the bike industry
I can’t wait ; I’m so sick of this distortion in the market

·
Registered
181 Posts
My current mtb is a 2013 Rocky Mountain Instinct 970 with all parts upgraded/modernized. I've spent the last few years test riding a variety of mtb's. Some were just not impressive and some were definitely better but not better enough to justify purchasing.

I think I finally found my next mtb today - Intense Sniper TR. Rides great, looks beautiful and I can get a full CF mtb out the door for < $4k. Hard to argue with that. I'll definitely upgrade the parts incrementally but it's good enough to start.

Seems like there was a trend until recently where mtbs were getting bigger, bulkier and more expensive. All of these things were really getting out of hand, especially when factored together. But this trend has been recognized and addressed with new models like Ibis Exie. Of course that's $9k so not an option for most people. But it seems like the Intense Sniper TR with incremental upgrades is a sweet spot for 80% of mountain bikers.

Did you have a similar takeaway after demoing the Intense Sniper TR? Or did you have a similar takeaway with any other modern down country mtbs?

Just get the 951 from Costco. Its a Sniper frame, according to Intense

21 - 30 of 30 Posts