Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current mtb is a 2013 Rocky Mountain Instinct 970 with all parts upgraded/modernized. I've spent the last few years test riding a variety of mtb's. Some were just not impressive and some were definitely better but not better enough to justify purchasing.

I think I finally found my next mtb today - Intense Sniper TR. Rides great, looks beautiful and I can get a full CF mtb out the door for < $4k. Hard to argue with that. I'll definitely upgrade the parts incrementally but it's good enough to start.

Seems like there was a trend until recently where mtbs were getting bigger, bulkier and more expensive. All of these things were really getting out of hand, especially when factored together. But this trend has been recognized and addressed with new models like Ibis Exie. Of course that's $9k so not an option for most people. But it seems like the Intense Sniper TR with incremental upgrades is a sweet spot for 80% of mountain bikers.

Did you have a similar takeaway after demoing the Intense Sniper TR? Or did you have a similar takeaway with any other modern down country mtbs?

·
beater
6,072 Posts
Seems like there was a trend until recently where mtbs were getting bigger, bulkier and more expensive. All of these things were really getting out of hand, especially when factored together. But this trend has been recognized and addressed with new models like Ibis Exie. Of course that's $9k so not an option for most people.
I don’t follow this. Bigger? Bulkier? And the bike that’s too expensive solved the more expensive problem?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Link?

On their website, just the frame is $3K for the Intense Sniper T (I searched and could not find Intense Sniper TR).
Right it's "Sniper T" - sorry about that. And yeah - I'm not seeing that low price online either. But it's low at the store so I'm glad that I stumbled across it lol

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t follow this. Bigger? Bulkier? And the bike that’s too expensive solved the more expensive problem?
@evasive - the "downcountry" bike trend is a response to the previous bigger, bulkier bike trend. Ibis Exie is addresses the bigger, bulkier aspects and is just an example of the new downcountry mtb movement. But no - the Exie definitely does not address the cost issue lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
The NX build retails at $4200, so possibly this shop is giving a bit of a discount, maybe it is last year's model, maybe it is a used demo.
Depends on which Sniper T model/build it is, but isn't like some kind of extreme price difference that would be concerning.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just have to bring this up, have you consider the same bike under the Intense 951 brand selling at costco for 3300? Carbon frame, 120mm.
Yep I actually test rode the 951 and the sales guy told me that the Sniper T was basically the same and I think he said it was the same price as well
Plus you get Costco's amazing satisfaction guarantee.
=sParty
Yeah the salesguy at the bike shop was truly exceptional so I'm just going to buy it from him. Honestly I shopped for an mtb @ the Denver REI before and it was depressing. The mtb rep clearly was just working a random job that he was able to get and didn't know/care jack about mtb

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,842 Posts
Yep I actually test rode the 951 and the sales guy told me that the Sniper T was basically the same and I think he said it was the same price as well

Yeah the salesguy at the bike shop was truly exceptional so I'm just going to buy it from him. Honestly I shopped for an mtb @ the Denver REI before and it was depressing. The mtb rep clearly was just working a random job that he was able to get and didn't know/care jack about mtb
So $3250, then?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love the frame graphics on the Sniper T. Reminds me of a high end race bike frame from my childhood dreams. I normally ride blacked out mtbs but the Intense designers really did a spot on job with the Sniper T frame graphics

·
Sneaker man
3,562 Posts
Don't forget, there is like a big 140+ page thread on the sniper in the Intense sub forum, and a few others in there as well. Lots of good info covered.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a dentist spec Ripmo V1 build and I addded an Exie Anniversary build this year, and I ride the Exie more often than the Ripmo.There are places the Exie is not enough bike, but not many.

I’m loving the lighter bike. I put a Dissector up front and a Rekon on the rear and its been so much fun, especially on trails that have tight trees and many turns.

high dollar builds are fun if you have the disposable cash, but the most important thing is to get the geo that works for your riding. If you do that, smiles will follow.

Though I would have them upgrade you to GX over NX if they can and you can swing the price.

You wont regret your choice. Enjoy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a dentist spec Ripmo V1 build and I addded an Exie Anniversary build this year, and I ride the Exie more often than the Ripmo.There are places the Exie is not enough bike, but not many.

I’m loving the lighter bike. I put a Dissector up front and a Rekon on the rear and its been so much fun, especially on trails that have tight trees and many turns.

high dollar builds are fun if you have the disposable cash, but the most important thing is to get the geo that works for your riding. If you do that, smiles will follow.

Though I would have them upgrade you to GX over NX if they can and you can swing the price.

You wont regret your choice. Enjoy.
@BP - oh yeah gx for sure. and I'll be making lots of upgrades honestly. but the frame and price point provide a great kick in the butt for me to upgrade into a modern day mtb. the mtb rides fine as is - convincing enough for me to pull the trigger so every upgrade will be a little dopamine rush lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts