Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haha, I was just looking at the product reviews, particularly the WTB nano 29 reviews, and the top three were by Martini, Glowboy and Padre. Was really cool to recognize the names and be able to recall so much about you guys' MTBR personalities. i felt very much a part of the place, and it was nice! All warm and fuzzy (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

I've never met any of you, so why do I feel like I kinda know y'all?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I hear you

I have never seen a board like this one. I think that there is more camaraderie and a higher level of "politeness" or "decorum" because there is a large core group of people who are very regular participants. Most boards have a lot more flaming going on because of the "cover" of relative anonymity. That, combined with a high level of technical knowledge and experience make this a great board...

Also, the fact that some of us really enjoy the unique/weird/niche aspect of 29ers makes us more willing to help out newbies and accept wildly different riding situations and resulting equipment. I loved 29erChico's reaction when he told us all about using a thudbuster on his 293. He was amazed that people didn't jump all over him for putting one on a FS bike. I would agree with his conclusion that since we are all weird to begin with, a weird one amongst us hardly draws a raised eyebrow.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I agree, this board is a nice island of civility. The other board I frequent is Singlespeed, where people are also pretty nice. I guess I just avoid boards where people feel OK bashing on each other just because they don't have to look each other in the eye. Life is too short to waste time on that kind of negativity.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You guys are all a bunch of chodes! 29er bikes are dumb and a thudbuster on a fs? are you stoooopid?

sorry guys, I'm also a noob here and it seemed like you were getting a little too lovey-dovey. I was starting to get a bit sick. Thought I'd spice things up a bit. :) have a nice day wankers! (ps- I'm not scared of any of you cause nobody knows who I am) (pss- better check my bio and make sure that my name and address aren't in there!)

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
chidDONG said:
You guys are all a bunch of chodes! 29er bikes are dumb and a thudbuster on a fs? are you stoooopid?

sorry guys, I'm also a noob here and it seemed like you were getting a little too lovey-dovey. I was starting to get a bit sick. Thought I'd spice things up a bit. :) have a nice day wankers! (ps- I'm not scared of any of you cause nobody knows who I am) (pss- better check my bio and make sure that my name and address aren't in there!)
Fortunately the nice tone of this board is not only because many of us try to have respect for our fellow users -- but also because we're just not as easily ticked off by people dissing our choice of equipment. We 29"ers (and to a lesser degree our singlespeed brethren) are quite well aware that we are a tiny minority. We are used to having lots of people misunderstand and even mock our choices -- not just online but when we're out riding with our buddies who ride more mainstream bikes.

So a comment like "29er bikes are dumb" isn't likely to provoke much of a response (although, yeah you got one out of me!) because we've heard it a hundred times. You don't need to be paranoid about us coming after you. We really don't care that much.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's a chode?

chidDONG said:

This guy definitely needs to be a part of the group hug.

·
No Reputation!
1,730 Posts
I agree

When I was buying parts for the latest rig I was telling my wife about the help I got from people on this board. She's not super internet savvy and said "who are these people, your online friends or something?" which sounded kinda funny but I said "well....um....yeah?"

Ha, maybe I just need to get out more!

·
Registered
254 Posts
"Fortunately the nice tone of this board is not only because many of us try to have respect for our fellow users -- but also because we're just not as easily ticked off by people dissing our choice of equipment. We 29"ers (and to a lesser degree our singlespeed brethren) are quite well aware that we are a tiny minority. We are used to having lots of people misunderstand and even mock our choices -- not just online but when we're out riding with our buddies who ride more mainstream bikes.

So a comment like "29er bikes are dumb" isn't likely to provoke much of a response (although, yeah you got one out of me!) because we've heard it a hundred times. You don't need to be paranoid about us coming after you. We really don't care that much."

Geez man, for somebody that doesn't get ticked off by other people talking about their equipment, you sure seemed to get ticked off about my comment! I was only messing around. I'm currently dreaming of my next new rig being a 29'er so you can be assured that I wasn't serious. Sorry if I touched a nerve. :(

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
chidDONG said:
"Geez man, for somebody that doesn't get ticked off by other people talking about their equipment, you sure seemed to get ticked off about my comment! I was only messing around. I'm currently dreaming of my next new rig being a 29'er so you can be assured that I wasn't serious. Sorry if I touched a nerve. :(
Yep, my thread kinda got off track. I wasn't saying that 29er riders were superior at all. I have often noticed all the references to "baby wheels" or "Kids' wheels" and thought it was a bit elitist. It seems that for some 29er riders their skin is not as thick as they would like to believe. I am in the middle of a 29er epiphany myself, but I hope I never disparage anyone due to their choice, as long as it is semi-informed.

FWIW, I took your OP in the light-hearted way I believe it was intended, hence including you in our group hug. But thats a real offer...

And BTW, my original intention was not to point out the superiority of any board, just to say it was fun to recognise people and to "know" them. Comes from too much lurking.

And yep, 29ers are WAY better in most situations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.