Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I went out for my ride on my new Enduro Comp SL. My ride is just over 7 miles and include's a myriad of smaller jumps, a cool horse trail with plenty of road apples to plow through and even a few muddy areas to boot. Two steep climbs and some good high speed drops too.:thumbsup:
One of the downhill's I take has a drop off to the right that I have looked at but never tried.
Well, yesterday was the day! It's a flat take off point with about a foot verticle drop right on the edge then a dirty grassy slope down at about a 3-1 for 15 feet. I HAD VISIONS OF LANDING WRONG AND GOING OVER THE BARS
I got the weight off my front wheel at about 15mph and off i went. I must have got maybe 24 inches off the ground. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET:thumbsup:
My landing was a bit wobbly, hell I still need alot of practice:madman: but I made it without eating it! I think it's my 235 pound weight still. It works against you, but when I get down to 205 look out!:madmax:
I know that ain't crap to most of you guys, but at 41 and a little overweight still, I AM FEELIN THE GROOVE DOGS:cool:
The Enduro Comp is that good. It gives a real novice rider BIG CAHONIES!:madmax: This bike is making me feel like :madmax: Evil Kneivel!:madmax:
I am out to go ride......................

·
Registered
70 Posts
65bug said:
Yesterday, I went out for my ride on my new Enduro Comp SL. My ride is just over 7 miles and include's a myriad of smaller jumps, a cool horse trail with plenty of road apples to plow through and even a few muddy areas to boot. Two steep climbs and some good high speed drops too.:thumbsup:
One of the downhill's I take has a drop off to the right that I have looked at but never tried.
Well, yesterday was the day! It's a flat take off point with about a foot verticle drop right on the edge then a dirty grassy slope down at about a 3-1 for 15 feet. I HAD VISIONS OF LANDING WRONG AND GOING OVER THE BARS
I got the weight off my front wheel at about 15mph and off i went. I must have got maybe 24 inches off the ground. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET:thumbsup:
My landing was a bit wobbly, hell I still need alot of practice:madman: but I made it without eating it! I think it's my 235 pound weight still. It works against you, but when I get down to 205 look out!:madmax:
I know that ain't crap to most of you guys, but at 41 and a little overweight still, I AM FEELIN THE GROOVE DOGS:cool:
The Enduro Comp is that good. It gives a real novice rider BIG CAHONIES!:madmax: This bike is making me feel like :madmax: Evil Kneivel!:madmax:
I am out to go ride......................
I love reading posts like this. I'm turning 38 next month and have been riding for about three years now. What an amazing feeling it is to achieve something that you might otherwise believe only achievable to the younger, faster-healing, daredevils. Over the past three years I've done things that I never thought I could do on my Stumpy, not to mention drop from 170 to 155lbs. So, congrats to you my friend and cheers to all 35+ year old guys and girls that are staying young by constantly challenging themselves on their mountain bike. :thumbsup:

Ivan

·
Registered
111 Posts
43 years old

I am 43 and killing it on this bike (enduro expert sl).
Riding it better everytime out. Banging the krap harder than 10 years ago.
Climbing harder too. Mind you... I don't go big but I am sticking it solid on my jumps and cranking over the rough stuff. The bike also lets my body loosen up so I am not tense in critical moments. My back used to hurt after hitting heavy stuff. Now, barely anything.

This bike is fantastic.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,
Thanks for the encouraging words! I thought I would get laughed at by posting this thread, but at 41 with a wife, daughter, 2 dogs, a bird and salt water fish and a mortage it really is not about me anymore and does not matter:thumbsup: Hell, I am always up for a good laugh anyways!
I really believe this bike is adding years to my life:thumbsup: I have TONS more energy and was before having a hard time keeping up with MY OWN schedual.
I am happy to report I am on my schedual like white on rice:thumbsup:
After sweating out the years of contaminants built up in my body I am now getting a natural energy boost that was only achieved with coffee, candy and garbage food before:nono:
I too am getting better every ride. My dam hands really go numb bad during some rides. I put Oury grips on and it helped a little. Then I went with Specialized Gel gloves. Still not sure if I like them as my grip does not feel as tight now.
Someone mentioned that Carbon bars make a big difference?????? I have been researching this and I like the Titec Pluto 2" riser bars! You guys have any suggestions?
If carbon bars help I will buy them, I need some feedback! You guys are great and I need riding partners in the La Mirada, Fullerton area. Lots of trails here to:thumbsup:

ALL MY BEST..................EVIL LOL

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
goingleft,
Hey thanks! I do not own a camelback yet. Never tried one but was thinking about one yesterday. I barely make it somedays on my one bottle.
I also really noticed that if I do not drink alot my muscles get tired alot faster. Now I drink Gatorade in my bottle.
Is the camelback alot better?
Thanks GL

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ivan,
Hey Thanks for the encouraging words man! Yea, I just have to be careful and not bust myself up. I even have a seperate disability insurance policy just in case!
But if I never use it, at the end of the term(15 years) I get almost all my money back! 38000.00 clams.
Dam, I am talking about my insurance policy here, I must be getting old...........

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
65bug, you'll probably love a camelbak if you end up getting one. They're a lot handier than a water bottle since you don't have to stop, plus it gives you some space to carry tools, camera, etc.

Only thing, if you do get one, don't put anything but water on it. Other drinks such as gatorade tend to grow some nasty beastlies, even with good cleanings (you can't clean every part of the reservoir/tube... it's almost impossible).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
288 Posts
hey man, congrats on feelin young. Nobody should talk crap about you for having a good time.
I'm 19, and stay pretty active, but am in college, so time and money is pretty tight. I've been riding motorcycles (dirtbike, now also street) since I was 6, and that kept me in shape along with some sports and all. However, I've gotten into mountain biking recently and have also lost a lot of weight, gotten more energy, basically the same story as you. I also have a really bad knee, surgery and all, and biking has strengthened that tremendously. So, even us young'ns benefit from biking and its awesome man.

but some recommendations with your hands getting numb, maybe try some regular gloves instead of the gels. Never been a fan of gel gloves....
I have never heard of carbon bars helping in this, but maybe a better riser bar would help to give you a more upright position. If your body is leaning to much on the bars, it will make your hands go numb. Are you pretty comfortable on the bike? Another thing I have learned with dirtbikes is to try and strengthen your wrists somehow (weights, bands, etc) because if they are weak and start hurting or something, then for some reason I know that your hands might become numb. I think that there is a major problem if your hands become dead when riding though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Numb hands can be caused by a number of conditions including Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Don't panic, these conditions can be treated by massage and other bodywork professionals, and often are by professional cyclists and other athletes. Lance Armstrong goes nowhere without his swanieur (massage therapist). Find out who provides quality sports massage or Rolfing in your area. Do a web search in your area using those terms and find someone who has worked with athletes. A couple of hour sessions may help very much. A good therapist will also teach you techniques and strategies for managing this issue yourself. I am a cyclist and was a professional bodyworker for a decade and worked with many cyclists, skiers, speed scaters, etc. This kind of work and learning about it may be the answer to decreasing discomfort and prolonging your athletic life. Good luck.

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
wako29 said:
I have never heard of carbon bars helping in this, but maybe a better riser bar would help to give you a more upright position.
Carbon bars are supposed to dampen vibration from rolling and whatnot. I moved from an aluminum to a carbon bar two years ago and, while it does noticeably cut back on vibration, I don't think it'll be sufficient in easing any wrist pain.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the input and kind words. I know I slouch some on the bike and have caught myself doing it!
This really throws alot of weight on my hands. When I move them around and re-postion my body the numbness gets better and goes away.
I am doing pretty good on the bike, and I hope to keep feeling better and getting in better shape as I go.
The Specialized bike is great! I cannot say enough about it! When you can drive straight up a 8 inch curb it just amazes me to no end the technology now!:thumbsup:
Man, I want to do some trick upgrades, but there's really nothing to do yet!
Get this: I thought the Sram X-7 rear derailer shifter was really mushy and when I shifter I had to be really careful or I would skip gears!
COME TO FIND OUT FROM A 19 YEAR OLD TODAY IT'S DESIGNED TO DO THAT:madman:
The older I get, the MORE I REALIZE EVERYONE ON THIS PLANET HAS SOMETHING TO OFFER:thumbsup: YOU CAN LEARN SOMETHING FROM ANYONE:thumbsup:
Hell, now I know I can shift over three gears at once!:eekster: Sweet! I was not happy with it and wanted grip shift!:madman:
Tomorrow will be a new ride and I am going to skip gears to my hearts content! This means I can wait even longer before shifting before that big climb:thumbsup:

Thanks EVERYONE:D

·
Springfield Riders Group
19 Posts
Congrats on getting hardcore at a hard old age. Never to old they say. I am 38 and recently back into the sport. 14yrs away off the bike. In my youth I was a State Mens XC Champion. Just raced on Sunday in a 60km enduro and placed 9th out of 244. 22.2km/hr average. I am stoked and the mtb blood is pumping through my veins fast. I am lovin the game again. Feels nice to be fit again too.

I appreciate your comments re the SL Enduro and am looking to add to my stable (04 SWorks EPIC and 06 Roubaix roadie). I recently test rode an SL and did half a dozen 4ft jumps and was very impressed. Climbs like a rippa too.

Keep the dream alive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
65bug,

I know exactly how you feel, I recently went to a Stumpjumper Pro and I am 37 yrs old. The thought that crosses my mind constantly while riding.... "bet I can ride over that!" I love the confidence this bike inspires in me.

About the numb and tingling hands, I had the same problem also, but switched my grips to some from Ergon. I don't know what people's opinion of them are here on MTBR, but they have worked great for me. I bought the GC2 model with the small bar end which also gives some additional options for hand positions. No more numb hands!!

Anyhow, just my $0.02

Best regards

·
Registered
19 Posts
65bug,

i've read a lot of threads leading up to and since, buying my sl - mostly discussing faulty forks, oil leaks, rebound & compression settings ....etc etc. Dont get me wrong, i think it's great to be aware of problems and all posts are appreciated :thumbsup: BUT, it gets to the point where you're analysing / wondering if the bike is working properly or not:nono: .Sure we pay alot of cash for these things and, hell yeah, they should work properly, but thats not what i want to spend my (limited) trail time doing. I'm 38 and also have wife, kids, dogs, fish and other 'grown-up' commitments and it wasa refreshing reminder to feel your enthusiasm.:D thanks.

On the numb hands, I also am guilty of bad posture on the bike (especially when going gets tough) and have read many articles promoting 'muscular posture' as opposed to 'skeletal posture'. Apparently the key is to use your core muscles to keep you in your riding position and not just 'prop' yourself up using your arms. This is more tiring initially and can be improved off the bike with core strengthening excercises but the pay back is better bike control, less neck, back, arm and wrist problems - incl numbness. Perhaps do a search on bike posture.

good luck - keep it positive

G

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
LOL! I am 35 this year, and have arthritis in both knees and severe tendonitis in both elbows. But that's OK, because I just drug up and hit the hills on my Stumpy FSR. :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gman2,
Hey Thanks, yea I think my "core" muscles are a little weak still but getting stronger.
I am really pleased with this bike. I feel some people(not all) are really pounding it! Huge drops and stunts which I feel this bike was not really made for. This SL Comp does not really strike me as a downhill/freeride bike. No problems with mine yet by the way.
I think it's more a of a cross country on steroids/ do everything VERY well bike. Trail bike?
The Enduro comp will do everything extremely well for me! It will go way beyond my limits as a rider and I can become a better rider training and having fun on it!
From what I gather these bikes and the downhill bikes are right on the edge of each other. I think in another few years you will get 8 inches of PLUSH rear travel and you can trail ride efficiently on it:thumbsup: !
The article in Mountain Bike Action with the Spesh 7 or 8 is just such a bike. The Mongoose Black diamond(or the EC-1) I hear is literally a downhill/freeride that pedals so well people are useing it for trail riding and love it!
So is it doable? A Spesh bike like the Enduro Comp with 8 inches of rear plush travel and still 30ish pounds? I think Specialized is almost there
Thanks for all the tips everyone! I am gonna try and post a pic tonight of my ride on here:thumbsup:
Thanks again

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:thumbsup: Not Sure Who Did It, But Thanks For Taking Out The Trash....................:thumbsup:
MTBR is a great resource for everyone to learn off of. I made it a point not to get lewd because I am sure there are younger guys surfing the site.
SPEAK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG STICK, YOU WILL GO FAR...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.