Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this isn't a subject that isn't talked about all that often since I haven't seen too many based on the subject.

So there are basically 2 different designs for the I-drive suspension design. The new design which I believe was brought out in 2004 or 2005, correct me if I'm wrong. Then there was the old design, I think it was a concentric drive shaft that they used in 2003 and prior models. Both to my knowledge drive to the same goal, to isolated the bottom to prevent pedal induced bob, which I have found to be very affective on my 2003 Ruckus I-drive Two Point Zero. I can't offer much feedback on the new I-drive design since I've never rode one before, but I can tell from the pictures that I've seen, that the suspension movement for the bottom bracket is very similar to the old concentric drive shaft (or whatever it is called).

Wanting to discuss any advantages or disadvantages the I-drive system has over other suspension systems.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,756 Posts
Smooth, stable seated pedaler, great handling

WeylessXPRider said:
I'm sure this isn't a subject that isn't talked about all that often since I haven't seen too many based on the subject.

So there are basically 2 different designs for the I-drive suspension design. The new design which I believe was brought out in 2004 or 2005, correct me if I'm wrong. Then there was the old design, I think it was a concentric drive shaft that they used in 2003 and prior models. Both to my knowledge drive to the same goal, to isolated the bottom to prevent pedal induced bob, which I have found to be very affective on my 2003 Ruckus I-drive Two Point Zero. I can't offer much feedback on the new I-drive design since I've never rode one before, but I can tell from the pictures that I've seen, that the suspension movement for the bottom bracket is very similar to the old concentric drive shaft (or whatever it is called).

Wanting to discuss any advantages or disadvantages the I-drive system has over other suspension systems.
I had an older 4-inch travel XC model years ago for a short time. I forget the model number but pretty low end, which I put a good Marzocchi fork and '00 Float-R shock on. I'm more climbing and enduro XC oriented (too big and old for extended air time or trials like big rock hopping, but luv rough rocky trails where I have to get off the bike sometimes due to fear of broken bones.)

My i-drive was very buttery smooth pedaling with no bob when seated. But massive bob when standing and pedaling hard (the GT race pros back then asked for and got an inch shorter travel version for racing, I can assume for better hard pedaling race efficiency. The handling was quick and easy for tight singletrack.

I've observe the Maverick has the very similar characteristics, smooth seated easy pedaling and seated climbing for recreational type riding, but bob excessively when the rider leans forward and pedals hard to keep up in racing conditions.

Seems like the semi URT designs aren't ready for front running XC racing, and will follow after the moderately slower damped Fuel, Yeti ARS, and Superlight type monopivots, and medium damped VPP and DW multilinks (and semi locked out, semi hardtail, inertia shock Epic FSR).

For trail riding the i-drive and other semi-URT's seem fine unless the rider likes to stand and pedal to accelerate or climb on smoother surfaces. It's smoother and more stable seated pedaling than any monopivot or ICT/FSR faux-bar like multi-link, but the i-drive was about the same or a bit worse bobbing as those when standing. The semi-URT's including i-drive have none of the awkward handling brake jack effects of the more resent near parallel linked ICT versions. All the real Horst links (with significantly lower and forward drop out pivots) pedal better both seated and especially standing than any of those others. And the DW link pedals noticeably better than Horst link in every way too and handles as well, and is most optimized overall so far. Unlike all the others (except high monopivot) VPP suffers pedal feedback (although it is rather smooth feedback) in rougher terrain and when pedaling hard while standing, but is much more acceleration efficient than the semi-URTs

The downhill race requirements may work more competitively for the semi-URT Ruckus; I guess Brian Lopes would know.

And it sounds like you can pedal the Ruckus long distance up hill without over damping or lockout platform efficiency aids, for a superior performing true heavy duty all mountain type bike. Although I've never seen one, I think the Ruckus is a great looking bike in pictures.

:cool:

- ray

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could someone tell me what URT stands for, I've seen it before but don't know what it stands for.

Anyways, actually with my Ruckus I-drive, it pedals quite efficiently on or off the sadle, especially when my rear shock was tuned properly, which I am glad I was able to have the Fox Vanilla RC on my bike, with the tunable compression and rebound. Not to mention I hear that you have to adjust the preload to get pedal effiency the way it's supposed to be.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Unified Rear Triangle

Meaning the entire drivetrain; crankset, cassette, chain are attached to the suspended swingarm. Examples being the Klein Mantra, Trek Y- Bikes, Rocky Mountain Pipeline, etc.
I believe the theory of the suspension design is to eliminate pedal feedback by having the drivetrain move as a whole unit, therefore no chain growth will occur.
Trade-off of the design being when you stand up, to either sprint, climb, negotiate technical terrain, etc, you are STANDING on the SWINGARM ! Very effective for locking out the suspension, your whole body weight vs. the shock, BUT not everytime you stand- up do you want your suspension locked out, ie. technical downhill sections.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.