Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So on the repair stand, at high speed my back wheel gets a wobble up and down. It messes up my disc brake alignment. I can't figure out if it's the axle or the hub itself. I just regreased the bearings and the race didn't look bad. Any way to tell before I start throwing parts at it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
Axle shouldn't be moving, even if it's bent...

I presume this to be an open cup and cone bearing set... did you properly adjust spacing before tightening the cone nut? Were you able to move the axle around in the hub before you mounted it back on the bike? Did you tighten the quick release properly after installing the wheel? Are you sure it's not an unbalanced tire?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This has been happening for a while, through different tires. The rim itself is straight, the hub is assembled correctly, but the wheel is moving up and down at high speed, and its bringing the rotor with it. It's a ditch witch I don't know the hub brand

·
Registered
206 Posts
Something isn't correct or it wouldn't be happening. Have a video? The rotor should be fixed via centerlock or six bolts. If the rotor is moving, the hub shell is cracked or bent. If the wheel has play side-to-side, then the bearings aren't adjusted properly or they are toast. The other prospect is your ISO caliper mounting bracket is reversed. If the wheel has a hop due to improper spoke tensioning, the rotor can't come with it because it's position is fixed on the center axis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the hub itself is warped. I tried taking a video but you can't really see it well. I can see the spokes on the hub moving up and down as it spins, and its making the rotor move up and down along with the cassette. I was just wondering if this could be the axle, but its probably the hub.

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
Again, the axle does not move. If the bearings are adjusted properly and the hub, spokes and rotor still are offset, noticeable as moving up and down as you spin the wheel, then the hub is warped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.