Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2014 DiamondBack overdrive Sport just over a month ago. Long story short I bent the frame and rear wheel in a deeply rutted parking lot. The frame was pressed against the bike rack. The question is do I use the overdrive as a doner and buy a carbon frame or just buy a new complete bike. I know I will be spending about the same either way. The overdrive sport has decent components for entry level and for the $550 I spent on it, I thought it was a good deal.
Either way I am at a loss on what to do and really just want to ride. What would you do?

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
that stinks...

I would buy a new bike.... the level of components not the overdrive sport is pretty low, I feel it would be a waste of $$.. kind of like putting hubcaps and an auto zone wing on a ferarri..

·
Registered
973 Posts
can sorta understand a bent rim "in a deeply rutted parking lot..." but, how did the frame get bent and where? Pictures might be helpful.

·
Class Clown
3,047 Posts
Looks like it has some OK parts if you find a compatible frame and can do the swap. No warranty on that frame from the manufacturer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Added the pictures. The frame was pressed against the bike rack causing the bend. Warranty wont cover it as its was not done while riding and is not a defect.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I'd probably be thinking more in terms of a cheap frame from pricepoint, bikeman, nashbar, or performancebike.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
Cheap components on a carbon bike would be like buying a $100k car while living in a shack. It doesn't make much sense. Just buy a new bike (Trek X-Cal 8) with better frame and components.
P.S. Be more careful when the bike is on the rack.

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
Find a local Giant dealer and see if they have any 2008 warranty frames in your size left at the warehouse. I just picked up a large Rincon frame for $50.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If you are paying someone to move all the parts, you're better of getting a used bike. Or you have to budget for it.

I would look in to a used bike on CL in your size and wheelformat. with patience, get
soemething 3 years old or newer, XCT fork for about $220. Keep your broken ride for parts. When parts brake, you can donor them from your broken frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts