Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There I was, JRA down a fireroad (JHA is a better description) on my rigid sir 9 when I spotted a rut ahead. It would punish my hands but I wasn't worried, I'd roll through and absorb the shock as usual. But when I hit the rut something went SNAP! and it wasn't my wrist. It was the carbon handlebar. My right hand was holding a useless baton, while my left hand took over all steering and braking duties. I managed to stop without incident but change the conditions slightly and I would have crashed with speed.

Hmm, warranty replacement? Titanium?

Attachments

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
You're amazing! An impact hard enough to snap the bar and you still manage to one hand it to a stop? You obviously only need one side of the bar anyhow.

Moving on, How do those grips feel, on the hole.

-M

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
Confirmation

I am glad to hear you are OK, it could have been much much worse I suppose. That's exactly why I would never consider a carbon handlebar. I know people who beat the heck out of carbon bars without issue, but I just don't trust them.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
pacman said:
There I was, JRA down a fireroad (JHA is a better description) on my rigid sir 9 when I spotted a rut ahead. It would punish my hands but I wasn't worried, I'd roll through and absorb the shock as usual. But when I hit the rut something went SNAP! and it wasn't my wrist. It was the carbon handlebar. My right hand was holding a useless baton, while my left hand took over all steering and braking duties. I managed to stop without incident but change the conditions slightly and I would have crashed with speed.

Erk !

You were lucky not to get a facefull of dirt..

Carbon handlebars are capable of snapping like a carrot after being even slightly damaged. Sometimes the damage is not easily seen, and can result in a catastrophic failure at the worst possible time...eg: going downhill fast over bumps.

Even overtightening a component like a brake lever on the bars can cause the carbon to snap. Always torque to manufacturers specs.

Pretty scarey stuff...:eekster:

R.

·
rider
808 Posts
Damn, have a drink and say a prayer that you have your face and teeth in place!

Doesn't look like anything was mounted there to cause the failure. Maybe a scratch/gouge went undetected? Are you sharing the manufacturer's name? I read somewhere that 7075 aluminum can also break catastrophically but 2024 bends before it breaks. Not sure what titanium does. Yep, carbon fiber goes snap without ANY warning!

Glad your OK.

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
pacman said:
Had the same thing happen to me. Bars were 3 days old, I had a bike shop do the build because I was racing that weekend. Come to think of it the CF seatpost broke that race as well. I should have known that the teenager that pulled my two boxes of new parts behind the counter was probably the same one who was going to be assembling my bike. Upon questioning the shop when I returned from the race is broken CF in tow, they admitted that they did not even have a torque wrench.

Long story short, the LBS replaced the bars for me, blamed the seatpost on me. Took the bars (unmounted) and have only shopped there in an emergency.

From there on out, Ti bars and Seatposts for me. Also helps that I switched sponsors from a beer can manufacturer to a Ti builder.

jim

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
wolfy said:
You're amazing! An impact hard enough to snap the bar and you still manage to one hand it to a stop? You obviously only need one side of the bar anyhow.

Moving on, How do those grips feel, on the hole.

-M
The grips are stellar. Puzzle: How do I get the grip off the stub?

Law said:
what type?
Easton

TeamSwami.com said:
Damn, have a drink and say a prayer that you have your face and teeth in place!

Doesn't look like anything was mounted there to cause the failure. Maybe a scratch/gouge went undetected?
Glad your OK.
Prost!
I was careful with mounting hardware, rounded the edges of brake clamps, etc. Undetected fault - absolutely.

Hollywood said:
shoulda done that before the 'Puff ;)

seriously, as a fellow CF bar rider, glad you're ok. Where'd it happen? I will go kill the rut.

hw
Leave the rut alone, it's my lucky rut! (Sycamore/Overlook)

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

·
mtbr memeber
576 Posts
TeamSwami.com said:
Not sure what titanium does.
Ti flexes and flexes and flexes. It would take more than a lifetime to over-fatigue it. Has anyone here ever heard of a Ti bar breaking? I'd be curious to know under what circumstances that could happen.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It looks like there was some type of scoring on the bar, where it broke straight on the top section and fragmented on the bottom. Maybe a prevously overtighted brake clamp that had a sharp edge? I run carbon bars and always feel inside of my brake clamps for this.

·
Cars Are Evil
1,125 Posts
I've seen Ti bars snap. Granted, it was a race light bar and a 200lb guy, but still scary to see, had always assumed ti wouldn't do that.

I snapped a steel BMX handlebar jumping snowbanks when I was a kid. I think the cold was a major factor.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.