Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my KM and about 4 inches from the BB there is a ding. The paint is not effected and the depth of the dent is very shallow (it's also blunt). The total surface are effected is less than about 3/8 square. My initial reaction is that since its the down tube, very shallow and steel that it won't be a problem. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had an angry wife who once threw a headset wrench,(The old type threaded headset wrench,very long and thin) at my steel KHS.It hit the toptube quite hard. Right about 3 inches behind the headtube. Put a dent in it that would hide Lincolns hair on a penny. I rode that frame with abandon for another two and a half years. No problem whatsoever. I sold it later and I saw it, built up as a commuter,chained to a bike rack last summer 8 years later. Still has a big dent and stil being ridden. Long story short: you shouldn't have a problem,Surlys are tough.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Frame save it if you get a chance. It will keep the rust from starting on the inside. Every time someone sees me riding my monkey we get to talking about the different set ups I've had and how it will last forever. And they always ask: "Did you frame save it?" It's like a 15 minute job followed by a night of drying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.