Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hi everyone, after much reading, browsing and general confusion I have finally decided to bite the bullet and ask what are most likely some very simple/dumb questions.

This all started when I got into my head that one day I will want to put disc brakes onto my new Epic in the not too distant future (when my wife lets me :eek: ). And that the Mavic X217's aren't so hot, they'll make a passable (blah! IMO) set of beaters until I get my disc brakes.

So can regular high quality rim brake rims be used with a disc hub and continue to be used with discs without any major issues, minor extra weight aside?

If so which rims are recommended, I will most likely use the 240-S and I think the ceramic Sun UFO's might be a good choice... any advise?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I wouldn't make a change in hubs/rims just to possibly accomodate disc brakes down the line. If you do need to change rims, due to damage or worn brake surfaces, great, then think about an upgrade all around, and include the brakes. You can easily use a disc hub and a rim/disc compatible rim, and continue with your rim brakes, but why bother unless you've just got the parts lying around and build your own wheels (it's another thing if your bike came this way)?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.