Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continued from this thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=92115

I warmed up on some smaller drops before I did the bigger one. It was scary as **** but I did it, especially how windy it was today. The last time I went faster and flew about 10' out. I couldn't stop in time and ran into a mud pit and mucked my bike up.

I measured it... was more like 7 vertical feet. If I go faster it goes out to about 9' but I'll have to wait for the mud to dry up. It's right past the landing.

Today was my third day ever to do drops to transitions. I can't believe how much smoother they are than flat drops. I was bracing for the impact and it never came.

I'm already eyeing a 12'. That one will need some digging and boulder clearing to get it ready.

Before I go any bigger I need to invest in some crash gear. I felt so exposed and unprotected with what I had. Eventually I'm gonna toss my EXR pro fork and get better tires too.

My friends photography skills aren't the greatest but here's some shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trannys pretty steep (45 degrees) so the dark patch is like 12 vertical feet and 20 out. I couldn't go much faster because just beyond the landing is super deep thick mud from 4-wheelers.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is west Texas cattle country. Red makes bulls mad and they chase you. Plus, it makes me look like I'm going faster than I really am.

Cool quote JBsoxB

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
haromtnbiker said:
I dont see anything that looks like 7 feet vertical? Maybe its just the angles?
The last shot could easily be 7' vertical, he's carrying forward momentum off the thing, you know.

Congrats on doing the drop - it's always a great feeling to progress past something that scared you previously.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey, nice goin man. That's an acheivement! Very nice, you are on your way.

There's a pic in there that reminded me of something from a long time ago. I was doing a DH run with the national trials champ in 92, and he was a little out of his depth at high speed. He came off a drop like the one you're doing, and made the same face you're making. When he hit, he bit right through both of his lips. It was messy. Really a lot of blood. Anyway, it taught me to grit the teeth & smile wide when about to acheive 3rd stage separation.

A thought occurs. The SciFi channel is all Fi and no sci. Total suck.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Is it just me or does that drop somehow look tiny now that he's in the picture?

when I first saw pics of it with no one in frame, I was like... Dayum! that's a silly drop!
Now he's in the picture like twice the size I expected him to be. :D

now that I get a second perspective on it... Im thinking wow I'd hit that on my hardtail, where before I wouldnt even have considered it.

either way, still looks like a sick place to ride.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I'll tell you about this guy. He only recently really started riding mountainbikes. He lives in my town here and started coming into the shop. He said he rode BMX stuff as a kid, and he's certainly no spring chicken at the moment. As we often do as bike shop employees, I assessed him as someone who was probably just a "flash in the pan" kinda customer who'd tire of mountainbikes in short order. He had bought some relatively cheap Schwinn hardtail, at Walmart if I recall, and showed up out at our trails. He kept riding out there and started destroying that Schwinn rather quickly. He then found some K2 hardtail and started destroying it too. He's only been into this a few months. It seemed that indeed he was going to stick with it, so we recommended he go to a full suspension bike. We sell Haro and had a great deal on some '04 Extreme models. He bought one and hasn't looked back since. That Haro is pretty tough and reliable, but I'll bet he even challenges some of its components in the near future. In no time, Jay has gone from riding crap to doing some decent drops and jumps...his BMX exposure as a kid definitely stayed in the genes, I guess. He's one of those customers you like to see who has some genuine enthusiam about riding, and in no time, takes off faster than you would have guessed. He's also "eat up" with the technical and mechanical aspects of biking...like the rest of us.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Great Job!

Congratulations!! It's so much fun to first feel a smooth drop like that. It looks like a really fun place to play too. I wish we had nice smooth drops to tranny like that around here, most of ours are drops off of glacial erratic rocks to flat up here in MA.

Oh yeah, and the red outfit is phat. You remind of the Greatest American Hero in that. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.