Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Declare

Bike Season is Open

After work I scooted over to the other side of the mountains and the Tunnel Canyon park spot. Went up Tunnel C trail to Blue Ribbon and up Blue Ribbon to the junction sign.

SuhWheet. The weather was perfect - the trails were dry and without a trace of snow, mud or other unpleasantness. Fun and challenging as always. Except for that first, funky, uphill, stairstep switchback, I even cleaned the climbs up Blue Ribbon. Hey, that's what the little bitty gears are for, right?

The return down Blue Ribbon and then down Tunnel C was rippin'. Haven't had that much bike fun since, oh, since last fall. Sure beats the spit out of spin bike class.

On another note, I heard today that a darn decent guy I used to work with just died of a sudden heart issue at 53 y.o. Thinking of that and the folks I touched base with today as a result put some extra appreciation in my ride time.

Ride!
.d.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am guessing you are talking about some Tunnel Canyon trail in Cruces not in the mountains east of ABQ as we too have a tunnel canyon but I aint never heard of no blue ribbon nothin, 'cept maybe those ribbons the moto dudes put up now end then. But those are usually pink or orange. Anyway, interesting to hear that there is/was snow all the way down south.

I am going to find out if Cedro is clear enough to ride tomorrow. Cedro is an ABQ ride. There isn't a Cedro in Cruces too is there?

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed it is the ABQ Tunnel Canyon. Even though I'm a 'crucen (Go AGGIES!!!), I work in Abq. during the week. Its a long commute.

If you take Tunnel C. and go left at the first junction - then down east about 1/2 mile of bumpy stuff to a canyon, you can then go uphill east and south for some good climing. The 2 wheel drive map calls that Blue Ribbon.

Assuming no rain, Cedro should be good.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
XTRKona said:
I am guessing you are talking about some Tunnel Canyon trail in Cruces not in the mountains east of ABQ as we too have a tunnel canyon but I aint never heard of no blue ribbon nothin, 'cept maybe those ribbons the moto dudes put up now end then.
I was thinking the same thing

·
Registered
502 Posts
LCdaveHThe 2 wheel drive map calls that Blue Ribbon.[/QUOTE said:
Oh that map. Guess I should read it every now and then, I might learn the names of the trails. I thought that one was numbered something like 242? Anyway, last fall me and some buds put in a connector form the top of the main Otero canyon where the big offending sign post is, up to the trail on the east rim of the canyon. You can then ride this back out to connect to the "blue ribbon" trail to make a loop out of it. I have not hit this connector since last fall so I don't know if it survived the winter. It was not very well marked except with sticks and rocks and such but it was about 97% ridable going up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.