Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,117 Posts
Did something similar with my Niner One 9 to ride over the winter. Carbon fork swapped for steel, 7" rotor replaced with an 8", Rampage/Small Block 8 replaced with a Kodiak/Eskar. It's a good time of year to run into things.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just came back. It was super fun, grip was fantastic. I went with really low preassures and Kodiak did well in muddy/ rooty terrain (I didn't like them in wet on wfo bike). It was difficult climbing. Nevy is well known anchor and Gordos are heavy. I was impressed by Carnegie's comfort, really natural hand position and no problems on steeper descents. I'll try 2.4 Ardent+ Flow combo to shave off some weight and it should be great. I'm thinking of Carnegie's riser version for some extra sweep, could be even better. I'll swap 60mm stem for 70 (I had 90 Thomson stem with 15deg flat bar) and see how it goes.
I also found some flowers for my mother-in-law...

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
That setup on ur bike looks awsome i bet u can plow through stuff with those tires. I am looking into getting some Kodiaks or Dissents for the front of my ridgid fork. U didnt want to try an ardent on the rear? What psi u running on the front tire?

Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ardent should be great, I haven't tryed them yet because I have them on my WFO (and I am too lazy to change disc rotors). Pressures were really low, just enough not to hit the rim on roots and rocks. I did change rear Nevy to Stout, I like its performance on off camber trails, rolls better, too. Now with 70mm stem and carbon rizer Carnegie's my One9is transformed into a ByStickel wannabe (no insult intended):

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Siren, can you elaborate any further on why you want different parts now? Did you "go too far" with the weight, or are there other reasons you are looking in the "half-way zone"?

I'm in the middle of an ss build and am wondering about tires also - just looking for another comparison note. PATIA.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Andrew, there's a simple reason why changing parts. I simply try different things because I'm looking for better/ different/ more suitable traction, bike handling, ride position, etc. That's why I have both my bikes set up differently almost each time. Of course I loose money but gain lots of experience. I believe components tests and reviews are accureate only if you know the conditions and exactly who made them. I use tests as a starting point and rather test myself further on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.