Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happen to crash quite a bit, I am looking to go custom frame. What holds up better steel or Ti? what is cheaper to repair? thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think Ti would be more dent and ding resistant. Either will be wAy more more durable than Al.

Ti will be more expensive to repair. The weld has to be purged on both sides or vacuum welded. There'll be fewer folks ready to tackle that. But then a guy who can do both will probably charge the same on either metal.

I don't crash a lot and steel will be fine.

·
passenger/engine
70 Posts
Yo, Smokey

I used to play bike polo a lot, with lots of hard hits an' smacking of the down tube and chainstays. Ti frames are near PERFECT for this application. My trusty Ti polo steed has been hit MANY times (unintentionally) with a big hardwood mallet, and it has NEVER dented. It is also known as one of the quickest polo bikes off the sprint for the roll-in (like a face-off in hockey, only more like a head-on chicken/jousting sort of rush to the ball.). So, go with Ti. Steel is probably a VERY close second for polo bikes.

Cheers!

Michael

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What you want is a "low end" straight gauge ti frame. Like a seven verve or an old litespeed hiwasee or the like. Stay away from any kind of extralight or fancy ti as the tubes will be thinner in the place you are likely to dent them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.