Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Frame and hubs have been ordered!!! (Blue Phil Wood SS with blue Phil Wood hubs). I also just posted my newly built Element which will be funding the new build since I decided that if I can get a quick sale, I will have more fun picking each part out instead of the hastle of selling individual parts and keeping the few I would move over.

Funny how the bike I spent a few months obsessing over can be sold without a thought, knowing it will be for a SS.

Cheers

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2farfwd said:
I am hoping to make a quick sale on the Element instead of parting it out so I can just have Larry build the complete bike.....I am just not patient enough and will only part it out if it does not sell complete.

cheers

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Good choice.

Way to pull the lever. I found I am usually able to get more when I part out a bike. Sure it is a lot more hassle, but when I sold my ti Titus HCR I only got @$800. It was built almost entirely out of chi-chi parts. I had more success from then on parting out bikes. Some people will always look at your complete build and think "only if it had ------- instead of ------- I would buy it".
I just got my Phil Wood EBB the other day. It is so beatiful it is a shame where it has to go.
I love those new PW frames, sooo nice.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
teamdicky said:
Way to pull the lever. I found I am usually able to get more when I part out a bike. Sure it is a lot more hassle, but when I sold my ti Titus HCR I only got @$800. It was built almost entirely out of chi-chi parts. I had more success from then on parting out bikes. Some people will always look at your complete build and think "only if it had ------- instead of ------- I would buy it".
I just got my Phil Wood EBB the other day. It is so beatiful it is a shame where it has to go.
I love those new PW frames, sooo nice.
thanks. yeah, I may have to part it out and will be happy to if it does not sell in 3 days (all I am giving it before I post the parts separately). I need the $ to finish this build which is why I figured 3 days is the max for the complete bike.

I am stoked on the frame......hubs will be matching blue and I believe pretty unique which is kinda cool. I am still visualizing the build and have not gotten much farther than the hubs and frame.

Wheelbuild probably sorted out today or tomorrow.
Cranks probably ENO (not sure on BB to go with it).
probably Thomson stem and post (silver probably)....need help in color choices

that is as far as I have got.....oh yeah, if the complete bike sells, I may try to the F80X fork but I sure do love the Marz Marathon, especially the 05 which is on my bike I am selling. The TST stuff is great. That will be one of the parts I keep if the Element does not sell, along with the Marta SL brakes.

Cheers

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Make the jump

"Wheelbuild probably sorted out today or tomorrow."

If you haven't gone true UST, now's the time. I have never regretted going to the Mavic side. It has been way too nice. I am not too quick to endorse anything, but I will stick with UST. There are enough tire choices out there, and as an ex-Stan's user I can say I have had a better go with UST. No fuss, no muss. Sure, it is heavier than Stan's, but I recently realized it is so reliable I really don't need to carry ANYTHING on local rides (Charlotte). I love riding sans camelbak.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
teamdicky said:
"Wheelbuild probably sorted out today or tomorrow."

If you haven't gone true UST, now's the time. I have never regretted going to the Mavic side. It has been way too nice. I am not too quick to endorse anything, but I will stick with UST. There are enough tire choices out there, and as an ex-Stan's user I can say I have had a better go with UST. No fuss, no muss. Sure, it is heavier than Stan's, but I recently realized it is so reliable I really don't need to carry ANYTHING on local rides (Charlotte). I love riding sans camelbak.
I may very well go with the XM819s.....only thing is, Larry said it would be about 2 weeks given Mavics current inventory which always worries me since I then am at the mercy of Mavic which doesn't thrill me but I may hold out.....I always have the Ventana in the meantime

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
My friend just got his 819's.

FoShizzle said:
I may very well go with the XM819s.....only thing is, Larry said it would be about 2 weeks given Mavics current inventory which always worries me since I then am at the mercy of Mavic which doesn't thrill me but I may hold out.....I always have the Ventana in the meantime
He had been waiting awhile for his rims. With the EBB you could just put some spacers on your current wheels and suffer till they come in. I am sure others may feel differently about UST. I have 3 types of Hutch tires and a Conti Diesel and so far I haven't encountered myself wishing for another tire. I realize tire selection is very subjective. Now that I am down to one bike I love how fast I can swap tires out. I love not hassling with tubes.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
teamdicky said:
He had been waiting awhile for his rims. With the EBB you could just put some spacers on your current wheels and suffer till they come in. I am sure others may feel differently about UST. I have 3 types of Hutch tires and a Conti Diesel and so far I haven't encountered myself wishing for another tire. I realize tire selection is very subjective. Now that I am down to one bike I love how fast I can swap tires out. I love not hassling with tubes.
I am fine waiting for whatever wheels I choose since I have 2 other bikes right now, especially since the bike will be built up by Larry. I may go with the DT Swiss with the tubeless conversion kit....not sure yet.

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
FoShizzle said:
Frame and hubs have been ordered!!! (Blue Phil Wood SS with blue Phil Wood hubs). I also just posted my newly built Element which will be funding the new build since I decided that if I can get a quick sale, I will have more fun picking each part out instead of the hastle of selling individual parts and keeping the few I would move over.

Funny how the bike I spent a few months obsessing over can be sold without a thought, knowing it will be for a SS.

Cheers
Did you order the frame and hubs through Larry? Just wondering what the wait time is (if any) for those Phil hubs?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2farfwd said:
Did you order the frame and hubs through Larry? Just wondering what the wait time is (if any) for those Phil hubs?
good question....not sure about the wait time for the hubs in general. I did go through Larry.

Brent (at Phil Wood; incredible customer service!!!) was kind enough to allow me to be able to get one of the very few remaining blue sets of Phil Wood disc hubs. I am not sure about the wait times but they sure do look purdy!

While I like the King ISOs on the bike I am selling, I am more stoked to get the Phil Wood hubs.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Congrats on the new bike......

You will love the frame and hubs, really classy.

In the future, if you want, you could just have Brent build up the bike, he does a great job.

Not taking anything away from Larry, he is tops also.....

Looking forward to your pictures.

JS

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SS Jerry said:
You will love the frame and hubs, really classy.

In the future, if you want, you could just have Brent build up the bike, he does a great job.

Not taking anything away from Larry, he is tops also.....

Looking forward to your pictures.

JS
thanks for that info....good to know. I actually did not inquire about a complete build with Brent. At the time, I was planning on swapping over parts from the bike I now have for sale as a complete bike.

Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.