Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished my winter project, a Blur LT. After years of "Frankenstein" bikes, I decided to do a totally new build. No compromises. Here is my East Coast single track trail shredder.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle part

After talking to the guys at E.13, I was able to mount a SRS+ chainguide with no complications. No long term hard rides yet, but spins smooth with no clearance issues.

Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Spoke Bicycle accessory Crankset

Some highlights...

Magura SL brakes
Custom Mavic XM719 rim with Hope Pro II
Rock Shox Revelation RLT Ti
E.13 XC SS crank
E.13 SRS+ Chainguide
All Sram X.9 Drivetrain
Geax Saguaro TNT 2.25 Tires
Cane Creek 110
Race Face Turbine bars, stem, seatpost
WTB Rocket V

My guess (without a scale) is upper 20's? Maybe 27-28 lbs.?

I can't wait to give her a proper thrashing!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally Posted by cyrain
Nice BLT !!
Your chainguide is in BB mount so ?
Thanks! Yeah the chainguide is mounted to a bottom bracket adapter. Normally no big deal. But what makes this guide different from others is the ability to change the angle of the boomerang since it's in 2 pieces. This allowed me to widen the angle and just made for a better fit.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
kubikeman said:
Thanks! Yeah the chainguide is mounted to a bottom bracket adapter. Normally no big deal. But what makes this guide different from others is the ability to change the angle of the boomerang since it's in 2 pieces. This allowed me to widen the angle and just made for a better fit.
SRS? Is it a 1x10?
Can I trouble you for a shot of the CG from the bottom so I can check out how that lower pulley clears the lower link pivot? I've got a Blackspire Stinger BB mount on a BLTc and I had to put a twist in the arm and mount it w/ the pulley in a slightly lower than ideal position to clear that pivot. TIA

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally Posted by Pau11y
SRS? Is it a 1x10?
Can I trouble you for a shot of the CG from the bottom so I can check out how that lower pulley clears the lower link pivot? I've got a Blackspire Stinger BB mount on a BLTc and I had to put a twist in the arm and mount it w/ the pulley in a slightly lower than ideal position to clear that pivot. TIA
Yup, it's a 1x10. The E.13 has a nice design in that the back of the CG is totally flat with no bolts, nuts, or anything else sticking out. I planned on fiddling with the crank a bit today anyway, so I'll post those pics you requested later this afternoon :thumbsup:

Not to hijack my own thread, but anyone have any tips for the E.13 XC crank? It spins smoothly, but there is drag, like it's too tight. But I'm only running one spacer and it's torqued to 30 ft. lbs. I think I'm going to take it apart and grease it again and see what happens.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
kubikeman said:
...anyone have any tips for the E.13 XC crank? It spins smoothly, but there is drag, like it's too tight. But I'm only running one spacer and it's torqued to 30 ft. lbs. I think I'm going to take it apart and grease it again and see what happens.
Just some typical bb prep ideas: did you face the bb shell so everything is parallel and perpendicular?

About the 1x10, what kind of terrain do you ride in? I'm not sure if I can pull that off here at the foothills of the Rockies (Denver). Our ups might be a bit too big for a 1x10, and my out of shape post-grad school lungs :D

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally Posted by Pau11y
About the 1x10, what kind of terrain do you ride in? I'm not sure if I can pull that off here at the foothills of the Rockies (Denver). Our ups might be a bit too big for a 1x10, and my out of shape post-grad school lungs
I ride in Western and Northern NJ as well as Eastern PA. Speed bumps compared to the Rockies. I don't have long climbs on my trails. With an 12-36 cassette and 32 tooth front ring you will only loose a few gear inches over 3x9 (on the low end). You do loose some high gear inches though. I definitely wouldn't go 2x10. I would probably stick to 3x9 if I had more hills.

Originally Posted by gticlay
Wow, beautiful bike. What chainring bolts are you using?
Thanks! I'm using the ones that came with the E.13 crank. They are pretty nice, steel, and use and Torx head.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To Pau11y

As promised, close up pictures.

Machine Motorcycle accessories Bicycle chain Bicycle part Chain

Side.

Machine Steel Gear

Looking down.

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Tread Synthetic rubber Bicycle drivetrain part

Slight oblique from back.

Bicycle part Synthetic rubber Bicycle accessory Steel Carbon

Looking straight back. Tons of clearance.

Update: I wanted to grease the crank one more time to see if it helped. When I took it apart, the wavy washer fell off in two pieces :madman: I know I'm not a pro mechanic (read semi-professional hack) But I can not figure out how to make this crank work right. I called E.13 right away and got a few pointers and a new wavy washer on the way. In the mean time I'm going to get the bottom bracket faced.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice! I just had first ride on my winter build and was blown away by the Blur XC carbon. My winter lungs have some conditioning to do but he bike is friggin amazing. I also use 1x10 with a mrp guide and no problemo, silent and smooth.

Enjoy the ride man and get out there! Salut to the new season the the SC family.

Edit - it was hard on this frame with the low pivot and short stays to get the right chainline for 1x10 with a guide. I used super thin chainring washers to dial it in. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally Posted by deoreo
I thought someone else would catch this, but you need to rotate your bashguard 90 degrees.
The logo area is the weakest (thinnest) area, and as it's positioned right now will receive hits.
Oops! Good catch, thanks! That could have turned out badly.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
kubikeman said:
To Pau11y

As promised, close up pictures.

Tons of clearance.
Thanx K! you indeed have a trap-con of clearance! I think it's my 2nd ring that's eating into the available space for my pulley. Unfortunately, for my rides and fitness, a 22 is required.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.