Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice. I have XT cranks with octalink BB. I greased the cup threads first, then tried teflon pipe tape as per "Nate Speed Hub" But the thread tape came off as I turned the BB into the shell. What about that removeable threadlock stuff. I'm pretty sure my cranks arms are tight enough, I'm using a torque wrench to 35 ft lbs.

Thanks for any input.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
S-Works said:
Any advice. I have XT cranks with octalink BB. I greased the cup threads first, then tried teflon pipe tape as per "Nate Speed Hub" But the thread tape came off as I turned the BB into the shell. What about that removeable threadlock stuff. I'm pretty sure my cranks arms are tight enough, I'm using a torque wrench to 35 ft lbs.

Thanks for any input.
If you apply the tape in one direction (clockwise vs counterclockwise) and the tape comes off when you screw in the cup, apply the tape in the other direction. It matters which direction the end of the tape faces.

I also used silicone in a tube to eliminate the BB as the source of a creak. It ended up being my cable stops. As the suspension moved the housing ends would move in the stops and make a noise. I just use lots of grease in the BB and on the cups. Sometimes it is hard to figure out what is actually causing the problem. I've had a seat and a seatpost also causing noise.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skywaybuzz said:
What pedals are you using? Shimano pedal needed rebuilt once with grease
I'm using 959's. I'll take a look at them. I have a new set of 515's I'll throw on to see if I still get the creak. Thanks

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quattro said:
If you apply the tape in one direction (clockwise vs counterclockwise) and the tape comes off when you screw in the cup, apply the tape in the other direction. It matters which direction the end of the tape faces.

I also used silicone in a tube to eliminate the BB as the source of a creak. It ended up being my cable stops. As the suspension moved the housing ends would move in the stops and make a noise. I just use lots of grease in the BB and on the cups. Sometimes it is hard to figure out what is actually causing the problem. I've had a seat and a seatpost also causing noise.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try the tape in opposite direction.

Silicone in tube? Are you referring to silicone sealant? The stuff that stays pliable after it dries?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Luddite technophile
302 Posts
S-Works said:

Thanks for any input.
Could also be the crankarms where they are pressed into the spider for the chainrings. Sometimes dripping loctite into both sides of that area will help.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Had that happen with one BB but not another

S-Works said:

Thanks for any input.
I used a am classic BB and it creaked like heck then i went to a truvativ team Sl and viola no more creak. Recently changed cranks to 04' XT and no more BB worries

1 - 7 of 7 Posts