Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and came up empty, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have this kind of trouble though. I just got back from riding my GF's bike (wanted to use it before it gets too cold, since it hasn't been used in a month) anyway, I raised the seat and took started riding, 1/2 way through my ride the seat kept moving side to side, it never dropped, it just tunred in it's position. I stopped cranked down the adjustment lever even tighter, and still the same thing. What would cause this? The bike is a Trek, in case it matters. I'm taking it into the shop for an adjustment on Tuesday anyway, so I'll have them look at it if I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
BTW I'm not like 500 pounds or anything if that's what your wondering, I weight 190 so there's no way this should be happening, it's never happend on my C'dale, and my seat lever it no nearly as tight as this one.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Rub some dirt on the post, should do the trick if that's the problem.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've read in Zinn to lube the seatpost a bit, but I think that's why my seatpost is sliding (only 1-2mm per ride) also. Then I read, as well as this post, in MTB action that sanding it up will stop the sliding. Can the sand/dirt hurt the seattube/seatpost?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I grease my seatpost, if it starts to slip. Just a regular quick release setclamp.

Works for the old Easton post and my new truvative post.

I know it seems wrong. I wonder if maybe your seatpost is tow small??

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again guys, the bike is only like 5 months old and has only been ridden like 20 times for short rides. I don't think the post is too smal since it's a stock bike. Though it looks like the seat post clamp might be upsidedown, I'm bringing it in for an adjustment and let the LBS look at it, since I bought it there, and it's got a one year coverage on the bike. Anyway, Thanks again guys.

Steve

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
first , is the seat post all the way down (is that why it moves side to side and not down)
second, clean off the old grease off the post & out of the tube.
third lightly regrease the post and wipe off most of it so there is only a slight coat on the post.
now reinstall the post and tighten the clamp. If you install the post without grease it can weld to the tube and be extremely hard to remove

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
dirt works great. just take it out for a ride on a muddy day and during the ride adjust the seatpost up and down a few times.

or next time you're on the trail, remove the seatpost and rub some trail dirt on it

eventually it will just stick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.