Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a few 24 Hour team events and just finished my first 12 hour Duo (Cowbell Challenge). The problem is I can't eat after the first few laps. I can drink water or HEED, use gels and recovery drinks, but solid food makes me really nauseated. In the 12 hour race this weekend I managed to hold down a banana, a pack of Cliff Blocks and a Hammer Bar. I took Endurolytes but still ended up cramping like crazy in the 2nd half of the race. Cramping seems to be a running theme for all of my races.

Anyone else out there having these issues? How do you deal with it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't eat anything more solid than gels and Cliff blocks anymore. I find Ensure is a great way to quickly get in a bunch of calories, protein and other essentials and takes less energy to digest. I think in the end that's the key, getting stuff in you that your body can easily convert.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
During long events, I don't eat much in the way of solid foods. I just finished a 24hour solo.

I used sustained energy, perpetuem, gels and clif bloks and coke w/water. the only solid food I had was 2 turkey sandwiches with mayo. I kept intake to about 350 calories per hour.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Trail Snail said:
I have done a few 24 Hour team events and just finished my first 12 hour Duo (Cowbell Challenge). The problem is I can't eat after the first few laps. I can drink water or HEED, use gels and recovery drinks, but solid food makes me really nauseated. In the 12 hour race this weekend I managed to hold down a banana, a pack of Cliff Blocks and a Hammer Bar. I took Endurolytes but still ended up cramping like crazy in the 2nd half of the race. Cramping seems to be a running theme for all of my races.

Yo Yo Snail,

I had these issues for awhile when I was learning to read my body at these events. One of the main issues for me and I imagine you since we are speaking of the Cowbell here, is the heat.

I suck majorly at dealing with the heat due to being generally hot natured and a sweater.

Number one, don't think of it as "what did I do wrong at the event?" because many factors can play into how you feel on race day. When it is going to be over 80 degrees at an event I start taking my endurolytes two days before the event. I also concentrate on what levels of H2O I must keep in the body so that my piss runs clear. The balance between electrolytes, salt and water in the body are some of the most important factors (for me) when competing in the heat.

I have even gone as far as throwing extra salt into whatever I am eating if I feel the cramps coming on or someone points out that I have massive salt deposits on my jersey. Some rely on mustard or pickle juice to bring saline levels back up.

Solid foods:

I don't normally do well with foods in the summer. In the winter, I could eat a lasagna oatmeal cookies. . .

It isn't absolutely necessary that you eat solid food. It is important that you figure out what you can eat during a sustained effort. If you can only take in liquids, figure out a way where you can get all the nutrition/calories you need in a liquid form. Try this on your next long ride and make sure you don't alter your plan on race day.

That's all I got for now until you guys show up for another SORBA meeting :cool: <<<<<<<<<---------------------- that's just a joke by the way.

Peace

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
If we could get some babysitting provided for the SORBA meetings that would be great! Two year olds don't stay still and like to be listened to, not the other way around. I guess I could carry a dvd player and let her watch The Wiggles....or you guys could dress up like characters while you are talking and dance around :D

I can pretty much eat any time so I can't help him with this problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ran 100 milers during the '80s and '90s and always had problems eating enough during the races; I remember at my first Western States 100 I had 24 Power Bars, one for each hour of the race. I think I ate seven. That probably says more about Power Bars than anything else. My best ultra was at Leadville when I made a double batch of rice pudding at the house we rented in town. My crew fed it to me at each checkpoint. The cool custard felt great going down and the brown rice and raisins provided energy. In short, have something you love to eat and you'll probably eat it.

Bad feet don't allow me to do running ultras anymore, but I'm thinking about riding Leadville in 2009 (even at my advanced age).. My Yeti wants to go west. Love to get back there. Great race, great people, great town.

Hope this provides some insight. Good luck.

Bill Johnson

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to work in a few really long rides and try some new ideas out I guess. I had a plan for the Cowbell, but it pretty much went to crap on the first lap when I had a mechanical and had to run with my bike about 5 miles. I never really recovered from that. My plan was to use Perpetuem during the race, but once I started to feel bad I mostly stuck with water. That kept me alive, but that was about it.

I need to spend a few days climbing up and down Paris Mountain while trying different things. I really need to get this dialed in before I race again. I also need to start looking at what I am eating and drinking the week leading up to the race.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Its always A, B or NN

Trail Snail said:

Hey, most of us have to go through the 'I can't eat during a long race&#8230;' learning process, welcome to the club. So, research/read everyone's ideas and if it rings 'true for you' go try it and see if it works.

Here is a simple truism for your consideration.
If you reach a point in your race, say 5-8 hours in (depending on external conditions and your fitness level, just insert your personal time here), where you can no longer eat & or drink you have two fundamental choices:

Choice A, slow down (or even stop) long enough for your body to start accepting food and drink.

Choice B, drink & eat as best as you can but mainly PUSH ON as fast as possible but realize you are digging yourself into a hole which will force you to Choice A sooner or later

And finally&#8230;..
Nutritional Nirvana (NN):
With luck and hard work you to may reach nutritional nirvana which can be summarized as; I KNOW my personal 'nutritional balance point' and how long/fast I can maintain it. Or maybe; I know how to drink & eat and ride a PACE that matches my effort to my nutritional intake capabilities. You get the idea, I have occasional found NN, it's a neat feeling to do on a multi day

Side Notes:
IMO, A 12 solo hour race is not that long relatively speaking, so the strategy for 12 vs 24 or multi day won't necessarily be the same. So for a team event or a 12 hr solo (or even a 24 hr solo for the super fit, ie: the super efficient) you can reasonably opt for choice B, it hurts the next day but it works up to a point.

Of course if you get more fit ever thing changes and you get to keep learning&#8230;.

Oh and by the way, IMO there are no 'magic' drinks or food/calories that fix or solve all your nutritional needs, hey its either A or B for everyone, then if you keep trying you may get to NN

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
HA! I like the term "nutritional nirvana." After riding/racing endurance races for 3 years, I finally found my NN this year.

However, that was in decently cool conditions. I don't know if I will ever find NN for hot races.

Trail Snail,

You got the idea, go out for some long rides, try some different ideas and just remember its not so much what you eat but that you eat.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
you only feel like you can't eat or drink when your already over the edge and you REALLY need to eat and drink. you need to eat before that point consistantly to avoid that feeling. don't worry it is not easy. ;)

trail717 comments are right on!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Solid Food Doesn't Work For Me

Ultra-endurance racing clearly has a nutritional learning curve. Solid food makes me feel like hurling after about 6 hours of racing. I use Hammer products with good results. I know some people who eat doughnuts, candy and Coke almost exclusively in a race (I'm sure they eat ribs and drink beer at 5am too):) The point is, what works for me may not for you. Change up your diet to go more liquid in your next race and see if it works. Don't forget to use a product with some protein if you are riding long. I have never faced your cramping problem and use Endurolytes and stay well hydrated but it sounds as though you are doing this already. Maybe try some supplements the week before the race to top off your mineral stores.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Trail Snail said:
I need to work in a few really long rides and try some new ideas out I guess. I had a plan for the Cowbell, but it pretty much went to crap on the first lap when I had a mechanical and had to run with my bike about 5 miles. I never really recovered from that. My plan was to use Perpetuem during the race, but once I started to feel bad I mostly stuck with water. That kept me alive, but that was about it.

I need to spend a few days climbing up and down Paris Mountain while trying different things. I really need to get this dialed in before I race again. I also need to start looking at what I am eating and drinking the week leading up to the race.

Thanks everyone!
I can see the problem in this...Perpetuem and water...if that is all you used, you are off on your electrolyte balance and possibly calorie intake.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The sage speaks, you should take note

LyndaW said:
Starting with your heart rate over threshold for the first hour will shut your stomach down. It maybe isn't so much WHAT you eat but an over-pacing issue - and that is simple to resolve.
Once you get this part nailed 100 % then you can start worrying/refining the "What you Eat/Drink works best for me" bla blab la and on and on and on that you will see in every one of these 'I can't eat' threads, IE: there is no magic food/drink

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had the opposite problem. I could not stomach gels, heed, sustained energy, whatever...finally I went to bananas, PB bagels, honey, cold cheese pizza, and even beer. I never was going to podium but I really did not want to DNF, find YOUR NN and go with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.