Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anthem X or Trance X........ better climbing vs. more plushness.

My current 5" doesn't climb as well as I would like, and is my only real gripe, but significant.
I want something that climbs better.

I don't race, so the Anthem's geometry could be uncomfortable. I could be too rough on the Anthem too. How much plushness will I lose with an inch, and will the Anthem be able to take some abuse?

The Trance X - do I really need that extra inch of suspension vs. not climbing as well?

..... I can't decide, and I can't test ride. what to do?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
While I'm sure the Anthem X can likely outclimb a Trance X, the Trance X climbs very well. When pointed up, the rear remains active while not sinking into it's travel.

At the same time, considering the Trance X sure "feels" like it has more than 5" of travel when you need it, I'd guess that the Anthem X will likely "feel" as if though it has more than 4".

That's quite a dilemma you have there. Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
I tested and bought the Anthem X a month ago. I'm 195-200 lbs without gear. I tested it on some good singletrack that had a little bit of everything and it handled it all very well. Climbs great and handles the rough stuff better than I thought it would. I came off a Santa Cruz Heckler and I was surprised how comfortable the Anthem X felt from the first ride. I've never touched a Trance, so I can't speak to that. I'm very happy with the Anthem X. I guess it depends on what you're going to do with it. I bought the Anthem X for endurance races and long rides. Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't forget how lame the Anthem X looks. I went for an Anthem X and like the way it rides but the paint job is so weak. For such an awesome ride Giant could have went with a cool paint scheme similar to the Trance lineup and won a lot of people over, but with the current looks I think a lot of would-be buyers end up going with something else. I'm still wondering if I shouldn't have went with a Yeti or something.

Just went out for my first snow ride of the season and really enjoyed it on the Anthem X though. Especially coming from a hard-tail Klein I find the Anthem X really smoothes out the ride, and find it climbes better than a ride well known for its climbing abilities.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
If your only gripe is the climbing ability of your Stumpy then the Trance X will take care of that and still leave you with a better bike than the Stumpy in pretty much every other aspect of the ride. By comparison to the Trance X your Stumpy bobs, squats, flex’s, puts you in a poor riding position for climbing, lifts too easily as the front, feels like a boat if there’s something technical to climb and is slower. It sounds to me like the Trance X fit’s the bill for you best! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you're not racing XC and the terrain you're riding warrants 5" go with the TX. I've taken mine on some really long climbs in Pisgah recently (7 + miles) and it is a very comfortable bike. It surprises me everytime I put in a long ride how fresh I am the next day. It's crazy stable through the techy stuff and descending.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Concur with above

The Trance X climbs like a billy goat, descends even better, is all day comfortable, and as already noted, really plush. I ride a 2008 Trance XO having recently come from a really light XC racing platform like the Anthem and could not be any more pleased than I am with the Trance. I live where roots and rock reign supreme, so plush is good...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

for the responses everyone.

It's all so relative. I used to ride a hard tail for years on the same trails that I now ride a 5" bike. My trails are rough and rooty, with only small drops, but a lot of square edge hits, and rocks. Needless to say, I felt abused on the hard tail after a long ride. I guess I really can't decide if most of my trails really warrant that extra inch of travel.... it's not the Rockies.

I was all set to get the Tx, and then the Ax came out and has really thrown me off. I just want a do it all bike that climbs great. Sucks that I can't demo the bikes.

·
Registered
735 Posts
What if you split the difference and get an 08 Trance. 4" of plush travel, 70 degree HT angle for quicker turning and more efficient climbing.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anthem1 said:
What if you split the difference and get an 08 Trance. 4" of plush travel, 70 degree HT angle for quicker turning and more efficient climbing.

Great, another monkey wrench to throw around. :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
I Agree with Anthem 1................

The 4.2" Trance is the way to go.
I ride a 2005 Trance and it is a keeper. Rode a regular Anthem all last year and it is on sale at my Giant Dealer. Climbing should not only be done fast, but also "enjoying" it (both). My anthem did not do the second part for me.

·
Registered
629 Posts
if your not racing, then id say go for the trance x. i own a trance x3, has the fox suspension with no lock out, but have never once missed the lock out forks. Even without the lockout feature this bike charges up hills. i like how it feels more like a hard tail while climbing, but still giving you the benefits of the rear suspension when climbing over rocks and roots. It never bobs like a lot of full suspension. The 5 inches of travel is plenty, very plush. I dont think you can go wrong with either choice tho, the maestro suspension is amazing. so glad i rediscovered giant and purchased this bike..was originally gonna buy a santa cruz or kona fs for double the price tag... just my .02 cents

·
TCOB
27 Posts
This year Giant has thrown us for a loop!!!! There is no trance this year, but there is now an anthem X to take it's place. I have a feeling that somef people are going to be confused reading this thread as to what bikes everyone is talking about. But I think we are talking about the difference between 4.2 inches of maestro and 5

I think the new anthem x is just the old trance with a name change, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

P.S. I love my Trance X and I'm currently trying to get everyone i know who rides to buy a GIANT

·
NedwannaB
12,776 Posts
Where'd you get your info?

STU! said:
This year Giant has thrown us for a loop!!!! There is no trance this year, but there is now an anthem X to take it's place. I have a feeling that somef people are going to be confused reading this thread as to what bikes everyone is talking about. But I think we are talking about the difference between 4.2 inches of maestro and 5

I think the new anthem x is just the old trance with a name change, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

P.S. I love my Trance X and I'm currently trying to get everyone i know who rides to buy a GIANT
This year has both '09 models. Anthem bumped up from 3" to 4". Trance up from 4" to 5".
Anthem Advance Carbon still has last years suspension. Similar to what Spec has done for '09 with the Epic line.

I'm in the same dilema as the OP, what model to get, T or A.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
2008 4.2" trance has quicker geometry than 5" Trance

The 4.2" trance basically has XC geometry, nimbler, quicker. The 5" has a Slacker head angle (69.5 degrees). The 4.2" Trance should be sturdier and less flexy than the Anthem X although heavier. For general fun I would pick the 4.2" Trance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I work at a Giant dealer. To clarify, the Anthem X is definitely NOT a re-branded trance. The Geometry of the Anthem X splits the difference between the Trance X and the 2008 Anthem/2009 Anthem Advanced. The Anthem X frame is also lighter than the trance or 2008 Anthem's...it's the lightest aluminum full suspension frame Giant has ever made. It's also a less all out racey bike than the 08 Anthem, so it's more fun as an all-arounder. In the end, as a non-racer xc rider you can't really go wrong with either bike.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thx - I've been gone a while.

Egar said:
I work at a Giant dealer. To clarify, the Anthem X is definitely NOT a re-branded trance. The Geometry of the Anthem X splits the difference between the Trance X and the 2008 Anthem/2009 Anthem Advanced. The Anthem X frame is also lighter than the trance or 2008 Anthem's...it's the lightest aluminum full suspension frame Giant has ever made. It's also a less all out racey bike than the 08 Anthem, so it's more fun as an all-arounder. In the end, as a non-racer xc rider you can't really go wrong with either bike.

Thanks for clearing that up. How much lighter is the Ax vs. Tx vs. 08T ( if you know off the top of your head)? Lighter's always good in my book, but if I break it at 230 lbs it's not.
IYO do you think the Ax is a lot "flexier" than the Tx?

I really want to like the Ax. A lot of the time my 5" just seems like overkill, and I only recall bottoming out the shock a couple of times in 3 years, but maybe I would bottom out the 4" a lot.

Is the 08 Trance still available retail?

Thanks for everyones input, it is helpful.

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
1. are you 230?...what about your gear?

2. i'm 195-200 and haven't felt flex in the anthem x yet (almost 2 months and 800+ miles already).

3. i'm coming off a santa cruz heckler, and yes, it was overkill for xc/endurance races/riding.

4. i have my anthem X2 in the 26 lb range, but have changed quite a few things i already had (seat, seat post, stem, carbon bar, silicon grips, tires, wheelset, xtr pedals)...with a race wheelset and a few xtr upgrades after the xt stuff wears out and it will be in the 25 lb. range.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The main thing you need to ask your self is where will you ride your bike. If you ride in Colorado and ride rocky fast stuff get a Trance X. I live in Florida. We ride super twisty, tight technical trails. The Anthem X2 is my choice for that reason. You can ride a Trance X here but the handling is a bit too slow.

Oh, and the Anthem X is very plush...feels like more than 4 inches of travel.

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
i agree with the previous post that said, "it depends on where you are going to ride it" (or how you plan to ride it)...

i ride california xc singletrack with my anthem x...i'll ride it as fast as i can around xc courses, but won't push it down aggressive trail rides, off jumps or drops (that's why i kept my heckler)...

i bought the anthem x for endurance racing...i plan to keep the wheels on the ground as much as possible.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts