Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been forcing myself to. There are no flat mountains, and just about everything here in So Cal involves climbing up till you die, then turning around and bombing back down. We haven't got the 'trail loop' idea yet out here. :rolleyes:

This trail was listed as 'moderate' in a local guide book, so my brother and I gave it a try. The climb leveled off a bit at this point, then continued up for a total of almost 5 miles before the halfway point, where we stopped to eat corned beef sandwiches. From there, I could see the trail continue down into Ojai but my legs were gone so I did the normal So Cal thing and turned around and bombed back down (otherwise, I would need to turn around at the bottom and go back up). At one point we could see the Pacific Ocean and the Channel Islands (I think that's what they were) and it was beautiful. Thanks to my brother, who kept hounding me to continue, we got this shot as my cell phone takes lousy pictures.

Cows and puckie were everywhere and twice a cow decided to waltz out in front of me as I was cursing my way up the mountain side and I had to stop. They did not bother my brother...:skep:

All you folks looking out at snow and freezing cold, please don't get the idea to move out here after looking these pictures of our ride yesterday, as our freeways are overcrowded, we have high taxes and there are no jobs (is there a correlation?) Oh, and our trails only go up.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Tzvia said:
All you folks looking out at snow and freezing cold, please don't get the idea to move out here after looking these pictures of our ride yesterday, as our freeways are overcrowded, we have high taxes and there are no jobs (is there a correlation?) Oh, and our trails only go up.
Right back at ya. Nothing to see here, move along.

·
ENDO!!!
703 Posts
GrayBeard Pirate said:
I can't climb either...but I plan to get that down pat. Otherwise I am screwed up here in Northern California.
I grew up and started riding in Humboldt, and except for right on the beach, I don't think there are any trails that didnt start with a ton of climbing!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
lol'ing at eating corn beef sandwiches in the middle of a ride and complaining about climbing. :thumbsup:

Tzvia said:
So I have been forcing myself to. There are no flat mountains, and just about everything here in So Cal involves climbing up till you die, then turning around and bombing back down. We haven't got the 'trail loop' idea yet out here. :rolleyes:

This trail was listed as 'moderate' in a local guide book, so my brother and I gave it a try. The climb leveled off a bit at this point, then continued up for a total of almost 5 miles before the halfway point, where we stopped to eat corned beef sandwiches. From there, I could see the trail continue down into Ojai but my legs were gone so I did the normal So Cal thing and turned around and bombed back down (otherwise, I would need to turn around at the bottom and go back up). At one point we could see the Pacific Ocean and the Channel Islands (I think that's what they were) and it was beautiful. Thanks to my brother, who kept hounding me to continue, we got this shot as my cell phone takes lousy pictures.

Cows and puckie were everywhere and twice a cow decided to waltz out in front of me as I was cursing my way up the mountain side and I had to stop. They did not bother my brother...:skep:

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
roc865 said:
i can't climb for too long because my lungs are shot from my job so i stop and go at my own pace. also i still can't bunnyhop but it's doesn't stop me from having some fun. :thumbsup:
Same here. When I try to bunnyhop, I think I actually sink into the ground instead.

Climbing........eh. Depends on where it is. I can ride the two major mountain passes here on the road just fine, and up the access road to Killington without too much hassle, but dear Lord, riding up the trails to the top? Once a year, that's it. Gets a little easier each year, though, and the trails here are a good variation of steep, sudden climbs followed by sharp drops. Keep at it, you'll get there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
QUOTE: Oh, and our trails only go up.

Too funny. I get a kick out of people talking about how there full suspension bike rails down hills. The trails I ride it seems the hills take minutes to climb and seconds to get down. Climbing not a strength of mine either but I have to admit towards the end of my riding season I actually started to enjoy it.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
I'm a (recovering) big muscular guy from lifting weights, but I've dropped about 20lbs from riding and climbing has gotten A LOT easier. It takes a lot of oxygen to move big, body builder type muscles, so I've switched things up a bit. I also ride a dozen different style bikes (see blog) so things like road riding and SS/fixed gear helps. I even ride flatland BMX, which somehow has to help in some way or another. Physically, my body shape is not inclined to be a good climber so I feel I have to work extra hard at it every ride. It's paying off!

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Keep working at it OP...just remember the mind will break well before your body actually does...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Zachariah said:
Keep working at it OP...just remember the mind will break well before your body actually does...
YUP! Easy for some, hard for most it seems. It's not always easy for me, but man is it rewarding when you look back and notice that you wanted to quit at a certain point and ended up going twice the distance your thought you ever could!

I'm also extremely competitive so that probably helps me push as hard as I can. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.