Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

I've been able to bunny hop normal but just recently trying to improve it to jump higher.
I rode a Yeti SB150 m size, I'm struggling to jump over 50cm height, I'm stuck around 45cm roughly 18".

Any advice would appreciate

· Registered
1,804 Posts
18” is pretty good on a full squish. Getting higher than what you can get by raising your CG by popping the front up requires you to use your body to jump up pushing off the rear wheel to raise cg even higher. That’s harder with full suspension.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
18" is pretty good on a full squish. Getting higher than what you can get by raising your CG by popping the front up requires you to use your body to jump up pushing off the rear wheel to raise cg even higher. That's harder with full suspension.
What is CG...center gravity?
Is bunny hop harder the more travel of the bike you have?
I tried my friend's shorter travel bike, it's substantially easier in overall.

· Registered
1,804 Posts
Sorry, yeah, center of gravity. Once you leave the ground, your center of gravity cant be changed, it continues in path it was going. Rotating the bike forward and sucking the bike up under you gets you more clearance by bringing the rear up, but CG remains unchanged. Taller does get you higher CG to start with.
Definitely record video and watch yourself, its very helpful.
As something to help visualize CG and jumping, try standing and pulling up your legs and see how high you can get. Now crouch down and push up with your legs against the ground then pull up your legs, you'll get higher as this time your CG is moving up.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, yeah, center of gravity. Once you leave the ground, your center of gravity cant be changed, it continues in path it was going. Rotating the bike forward and sucking the bike up under you gets you more clearance by bringing the rear up, but CG remains unchanged. Taller does get you higher CG to start with.
Definitely record video and watch yourself, its very helpful.
As something to help visualize CG and jumping, try standing and pulling up your legs and see how high you can get. Now crouch down and push up with your legs against the ground then pull up your legs, you'll get higher as this time your CG is moving up.
I see, I'll try to take video and stand up tall on the bar to hip part.
thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.