Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I am a newbie both to these forums AND mountain biking.

I have a 98/99 Gary Fisher Joshua X-1 bike with stock Rock Shox Judy long travel forks. I am upgrading the from forks and had a question regarding this.

I just bought a set of 2004 rock Shox Boxxers (team) for a great price, and was wondering if a Gary Fisher Joshua X-1 frame + PLUS the Rock Shox Boxxer forks would make a good combo.

Will the shox be too much for the Gary Fisher X-1 Joshua? They have about 7inches of travel. I really want something with a lot more travel than the Judy, and the Boxxers seemed perfect for this, but I was cautioned to check into it by a friend.

The bike will primarily be used for riding dirt tracks/trails with moderate downhill, and moderate urban assault.

I would greatly appreciate any input you guys/gals can offer me. Like I say, I am a newbie, I just bought this Gary Fisher and would love to (hopefully) pair it with the rock shox Boxxers.

Thanks a Million!

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
Could you post some pictures of that frame? I'm not familiar with it. What travel did the Judy's have? If you put a fork on a frame that wasn't designed for it, you're going to have some funky bike geometry.

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
I am pretty sure that given the year and make of the bike/shock, that you probably had 80, 100mm of travel max, 3.5-4 inches.
Increase the front travel by 3 -3.5 inches will certainly change the geometry of the bike, jacking up the front end and lengthening the wheelbase.
Not sure how it will affect the bike and its handling or you ability to ride it
I replaced a 100mm with a 100-120mm fork, I was told that it would make the bike impossible to ride and handle, but I have had that set-up for the past 3 years.

I guess it depends on how much you have invested in the Joshua and the boxxers, as that frame design is a bit old.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Judy forks have about 4inches of travel, so I am adding about 3 inches to that.

The pic is my type of bike although not my bike. My camera is broke ATM.

Ideally, of course I would rather get a newer bike, but this is what I could afford (as a broke college student) and the Boxxer forks were only 150$, so I was hoping to pair the two together for a better ride.

Attachments

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
jpelaston said:
H3ll, go for it... whats the worst that could happen?? it will handle like garbage?? switch back or sell the frame and find something else... it not like it is a permanent switch
sure thing, it may be a perfect geometry for you and your riding style and abilities, I had several people tell me that I would never be able to climb on mine with the longer fork, but it works for me.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think its a bad idea but who cares, do it.
life is short and your only out a bit of money in the grand scheme of things if it doesn't work out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.