Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Alien Surf Team
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My back is so messed up from seemingly nothing for the past 3+ weeks. Been to the doctor and started on the typical things but its not getting better. Next is back x-rays even though I had no trauma. Blood work indicates high cholesterol (new), and above the normal range for liver problems (new). Add in already high BP, and a 20 y/o different unrelated back injury. Who knows, maybe it's the same back injury but it feels different and is now debilitating. I can hardly move.

Only thing that helps is a double dosage of Vicodin. I'm very anti-drug. I didn't even smoke weed in HS, but now I understand why people become dependent on prescription meds. Chronic pain breaks your spirit. Good thing it's winter. Come spring bike riding weather this pain better be gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Razorfish said:
My back is so messed up from seemingly nothing for the past 3+ weeks. Been to the doctor and started on the typical things but its not getting better. Next is back x-rays even though I had no trauma. Blood work indicates high cholesterol (new), and above the normal range for liver problems (new). Add in already high BP, and a 20 y/o different unrelated back injury. Who knows, maybe it's the same back injury but it feels different and is now debilitating. I can hardly move.

Only thing that helps is a double dosage of Vicodin. I'm very anti-drug. I didn't even smoke weed in HS, but now I understand why people become dependent on prescription meds. Chronic pain breaks your spirit. Good thing it's winter. Come spring bike riding weather this pain better be gone.
Smoking the weed would help out your back. I would consider Vicodin far more harmful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
No expert here but I highly recommend you look at, "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. He explains in detail how we set up trigger points in our bodies which cause all sorts of havoc.

Do a search on "foam roller" and read the posts. After 10 months of back pain with lots of PT I found relief after one session on the foam roller. Watch the vidio I put the link up for.
I was also wondering if I was going to be able to ride this coming season but after 2x a day for 4 days on the roller I feel very good but more importantly incredibly hopeful.

Hope this helps,
Straw
 

·
Alien Surf Team
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
straw said:
No expert here but I highly recommend you look at, "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. He explains in detail how we set up trigger points in our bodies which cause all sorts of havoc.

Do a search on "foam roller" and read the posts. After 10 months of back pain with lots of PT I found relief after one session on the foam roller. Watch the vidio I put the link up for.
I was also wondering if I was going to be able to ride this coming season but after 2x a day for 4 days on the roller I feel very good but more importantly incredibly hopeful.

Hope this helps,
Straw
Thanks. I'll check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
I am not a doctor or a medical professional. I have experience injuring myself one way or another nearly yearly for the past few years.

Neck 2004(using a jackhammer on concrete)
Hamstring 2005(running cx barriers)
Back/disk 2007(???don't know what I did)
Hamstring 2008(cx runup)
Ribs/connective tissue (last Saturday! -caught an h-bar thrown onto a rock on my back) I hope to be able to sleep in a bed instead of a chair within a few weeks.

I would try to get to a good physical therapist to at least get an evaluation. If nothing else you will get some relaxing time on a table.

Drugs like Vicodin seem to do very little to relieve the inflamation that is contributing to the pain, but can dull the pain. They just never seems to last long enough. As noted, there is the problem of drug dependency to worry about as well, and that can last after the condition causing the pain is gone. If your stomach can tolerate it NSAIDs worked better for me.

The roller may be good, but if there is an abnormal disk condition even allowing it to move back into position won't take care of any nerve damage that may have occured right away. The residual damge can still cause pain.

Seriously, get an eval. Go through the recommended therapy. Keep asking questions. Explain how you feel. MRIs, Xrays and diagnostics are good, but if you look for spine problems in anyone, you usually find them. There may be no connection to the acute pain you are suffering to whatever they find. Don't give up. My back started healing(slowly) once I was perscribed a course of steroids.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,003 Posts
Razorfish said:
My back is so messed up from seemingly nothing for the past 3+ weeks. Been to the doctor and started on the typical things but its not getting better. Next is back x-rays even though I had no trauma. Blood work indicates high cholesterol (new), and above the normal range for liver problems (new). Add in already high BP, and a 20 y/o different unrelated back injury. Who knows, maybe it's the same back injury but it feels different and is now debilitating. I can hardly move.

Only thing that helps is a double dosage of Vicodin. I'm very anti-drug. I didn't even smoke weed in HS, but now I understand why people become dependent on prescription meds. Chronic pain breaks your spirit. Good thing it's winter. Come spring bike riding weather this pain better be gone.
I think you know what you 'gon do. Right Fish? You're like me. Nothing gonna hold you back. Will it be. Yeah, get some rest, eat right, and take your meds. And then come spring get ready to go out and kick it. Fig-a-deal me? Keep that fire burning. High. And do it 'til you satisfied.---zarr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
I also have a very bad back and pretty much 3 or 4 times a year I have an episode wehre I can barely walk.

What works for me is 2 alleve, twice a day. Ice, 20 mins on, and 20 mins off for an hour. take an hour off. repeat. In the evenings, I move to a heating pad.

I also go to physical therapy, a chiropractor and occassionally accupuncture. My advice would be for you to find a good sports doctor who specializes in backs. If you are in a ton of pain, it is worth it do some tests, ie. xrays, mri, cscan to see what is going on. The kind of pain you are describing is not normal and should be checked out.

best of luck.
 

·
Alien Surf Team
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Serotta b1kr said:
I also have a very bad back and pretty much 3 or 4 times a year I have an episode wehre I can barely walk.
Exactly. This is what's been happening for almost 20 years and each few years it get more frequent, pain is more and last longer. This last episode hit HARD.

BTW, I'm off the vicodin. Although I was excited that it helped the pain it ended up making me sick so I stopped it 2-3 weeks ago.
 

·
^ That's what I do
Joined
·
747 Posts
sparkyJ said:
Caution......Vicodin can cause you to become an A**hole and not even know it. Look in the PDR or ask your doctor.
Do you mean like Dr. House? Or was he an ******* before he got hooked on vicodin?

Seriously though, help you feel better. Both of my parents have chronic back pain that limits their activity. :(
 

·
Alien Surf Team
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopping_Rocks said:
Do you mean like Dr. House? Or was he an ******* before he got hooked on vicodin?

Seriously though, help you feel better. Both of my parents have chronic back pain that limits their activity. :(
House is my favorite show. I never saw the 1st season so I don't know if he was a jerk to begin with. In one show his boss mentioned the amount he was taking. It was about 10x more than myself or most people take. As with my BP meds and most doctors they almost always start off with the lowest amount. But anyway list I said, it made me sick so I stopped.

I did more heating last night on and off for about an hour. It helped a little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Razorfish said:
Exactly. This is what's been happening for almost 20 years and each few years it get more frequent, pain is more and last longer. This last episode hit HARD.
Me too, 20 years. As I get older, the episodes get more frequent and last longer. I used to recover in a day or two, and now it takes a month. I am considering surgery now, as, I am so limited in my activities.

A good doc who specializes in backs is really worth it, and so is a good PT.
 

·
Alien Surf Team
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Serotta b1kr said:
Me too, 20 years. As I get older, the episodes get more frequent and last longer. I used to recover in a day or two, and now it takes a month. I am considering surgery now, as, I am so limited in my activities.

A good doc who specializes in backs is really worth it, and so is a good PT.
I wouldn't say not to have the surgery because its you that has to take in all the info, filter it and then decide. I'll just add what I've read. At worst some research says only 2% are helped by surgeries. My cousin was injured when she was teen in an accident and has had several back surgeries and each one has only made it seem worse. She's almost 50 now and can hardly stand for anybody to even touch her because of the pain.

On a side note, she is addicted to meds but still a nice person. An amazing artists too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
I'd like to recommend a massage pillow. I got one for x mas and use it on my lower back in the evenig while watching tv.

It does serveral things for me:

1. It makes me sit straighter when on the sofa, giving you a much better posture
2. It's heated which increases blood flow
3. The message action also increases blood flow
4. Back pain is reduced/elliminated

Since there are limited capilaries in the discs, anything to increase or stimulate blood flow in that area will greatly help your pain and recovery. Proper blood flow is very critical in the transport of nutrients and the removeal of toxins in the disc areas.

I've done soo much in the past few months for my back, the message pillow really helps, plus they are cheap.

David
 

·
SSolo, on your left!
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Dream Plus said:
I am not a doctor or a medical professional. I have experience injuring myself one way or another nearly yearly for the past few years....

....I would try to get to a good physical therapist to at least get an evaluation. If nothing else you will get some relaxing time on a table.

Drugs like Vicodin seem to do very little to relieve the inflamation that is contributing to the pain, but can dull the pain. They just never seems to last long enough. As noted, there is the problem of drug dependency to worry about as well, and that can last after the condition causing the pain is gone. If your stomach can tolerate it NSAIDs worked better for me.

The roller may be good, but if there is an abnormal disk condition even allowing it to move back into position won't take care of any nerve damage that may have occured right away. The residual damge can still cause pain.

Seriously, get an eval. Go through the recommended therapy. Keep asking questions. Explain how you feel. MRIs, Xrays and diagnostics are good, but if you look for spine problems in anyone, you usually find them. There may be no connection to the acute pain you are suffering to whatever they find. Don't give up....
X2, great advice! Had back problems come and go from different causes....a GOOD chiropractor, physical therapist, massage therapist, diet change and all can help alot. Walking alot helped me start getting better along with the above items. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Diet + exercise...

I have 2 blown discs @ c7 and l4; several times a year, i cannot move due to extreme pain...

I find if I loose the extra weight, exercise back specific muscles, and stretch b4 laboring, I no longer have the issues...

Anything that stetches/strengthens such as 'mad cat', 'superman', as well as ab exercises (your core supports EVERYTHING) is the preventative maintainence along w/naproxen when hurting w/lots of water.

I don't believe in the surgery or chiro though...

Are you exercising ?!?
 

·
Alien Surf Team
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ecoast said:
Diet + exercise...

I have 2 blown discs @ c7 and l4; several times a year, i cannot move due to extreme pain...

I find if I loose the extra weight, exercise back specific muscles, and stretch b4 laboring, I no longer have the issues...

Anything that stetches/strengthens such as 'mad cat', 'superman', as well as ab exercises (your core supports EVERYTHING) is the preventative maintainence along w/naproxen when hurting w/lots of water.

I don't believe in the surgery or chiro though...

Are you exercising ?!?
Walking mostly. During exercise I don't have much if any pain. Probably the endorphins kicking in. I went bouldering with my son and felt great, and not to get too graphic but sex helps too. Heating pad at night helps too. Its getting better slowly.

I've pretty much decided that come spring I'm riding. My daughter loves to ride and I'm not going to miss out on spending time with her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
I understand how chronic pain can break your spirits. I went through it after my 2 knee surgery's (1st Oct 06 2nd Jan 07). I couldn't do much and when I did I was in a lot of pain. It killed me everyday of watching my 2 toddlers play and I was limited on what I could do with them. I finally got tired of being Oscar the grouch on the couch for 1 yr and got out to the gym. All can say is take your time and don't push yourself. I recently found out the bone graph they put in 2 yrs ago did not heal and that I have bone fragments floating around in there.On top bone spurs and early stage of arthritis. So I'm looking at at least 1 possibly 2 more surgery's. That would bring the tally up 3 or 4 in roughly 2 1/2 yrs. So listen to your body and take it easy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,536 Posts
just remember vicodin contains acetaminophen. don't take it with tylenol, don't drink while you're taking it. I agree with the post about the swelling. I avoid opiates as much as I can, although last time I had vicodin was for a back injury, it allowed me to sleep which was a good, good thing.

Get better before the weather gets nice.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top